Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Time-Warner Sports Channels - will Dish bite on Lakers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,417 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

Well, over in the DirecTV forum is a thread Time Warner buys LA Lakers RSN rights, must provide to DBSs which I guess is a logical forum location?

In any event, the LA Times notes:

Time Warner Cable has struck a massive deal with the Los Angeles Lakers to create two regional sports channels that will use the world champs as their backbone.

...One of the two as-yet unnamed cable channels will be Spanish-language network that will have its own production team instead of just being a feed of the English-language channel.

The article notes that TWC's first stop will be DirecTV. Then it notes:

Consumers may feel some pain as a result of the deal. Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) are generally some of the most expensive programming for distributors. Typically, RSNs cost between north of $2.50 per month, per subscriber. Given the high cost of the Lakers, Time Warner Cable will likely be looking for north of $3.50.

...At the same time, Fox Sports West will likely get pressure from Time Warner Cable and other distributors to lower the price of its channel now that will be losing the Lakers.

I can understand why Time Warner Cable did this. It's time for somebody in the cable/satellite business to push back at Fox Sports RSN's and someday ESPN.

Wonder what Charlie will do after contemplating the implications of the change?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

The Dodgers contract with FSN PT expires in 2013. Wondering if they too may move to this new RSN? After all, the Dodgers and Lakers are the two most popular pro sports teams in LA. With a Spanish station being one of the RSNs and the Dodgers have a HUGE Mexican fan base, more so than any other team, TWC may not hesitate to fork over money to attract them.

#3 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Well, over in the DirecTV forum is a thread Time Warner buys LA Lakers RSN rights, must provide to DBSs which I guess is a logical forum location?

In any event, the LA Times notes: The article notes that TWC's first stop will be DirecTV. Then it notes: I can understand why Time Warner Cable did this. It's time for somebody in the cable/satellite business to push back at Fox Sports RSN's and someday ESPN.

Wonder what Charlie will do after contemplating the implications of the change?

Normally competition lowers costs, but when you get major RSNs bidding for major teams, they end up driving up the carriage cost drastically, which eventually translates into higher carriage fees. In this case I do not think an addition RSN will lower RSN carriage cost, it may actually do the opposite

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

I am a big sports fan, but even I have to say it is time for the people who can watch the RSN pay for it. There will be no stopping the insane cost to Dish or Direct, or for that matter the cable companies until the person paying the bill realizes just how much it costs. When people balk and stop getting the channel then the cost will come down.

As it stands, I will more surprised if Dish carries it than if they don't.

#5 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

Prior to csn starting here in philly, we had prism a premium channel which was 15 bucks amonth.

They carried flyers, phillies, sixers games and also did movies and it was basically like hbo full content.

Im suprised they havent gone back to that yet.

It wouldnt suprise me to see RSN do something like that

#6 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

I'm all for a SPORT premium package. Let the folks who want to pay for it get it.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

I's a sports fan... but I don't want to see a day when teams have their own dedicated channel and you have to pay through the nose for each channel for each team.

I'm even a Lakers fan... but $3.50 for the Lakers channel would be hard to justify when other sports channels cost that or less and cover many more teams.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

Well, I hope that if this trend continues that Dish and DirecTV go with regional pricing. RSNs are provided in the base package, and it would be dumb for my price in Alabama to jump because of a high priced RSN in LA that I don't even get.

#9 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

With the recent Pac-12 deal on Dish, we need to watch this carefully. I think most seasoned Dish subscribers did not expect any sports additions typically (after what has happened in the NY market), but the current leadership appears to be very different.

Personally, I think this is helping lead to a 'justification' for major rate increases in Feb 2013. Especially if other providers don't have the channels in question. As long as they can leave the base packages untouched (sports tiering effectively), this is great news.

If AT120+ get the Laker channel, I may need to go to + from AT120 since I think that would a bargain deal compared to the other cable/sat options.

Still absolutely no provider outside of TW has signed up for this bargain.

To me, the biggest problem for the carriers is too many local market channels with FS channels+Pac+this Lakers channel (plus all of the other national ones). It is way too much burden for any carrier.

Latest articles:
http://www.latimes.c...0,7090219.story (very interesting article on the dynamics including some San Diego related news)

http://in.reuters.co...E88B1KZ20120912

I believe TW is demanding AT120-equivalent carriage, but if FS can be on the + tier, I think Dish will be able to maintain than 'equivalency'.

Rasheed

Protected By... spam firewall...And...