Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I just wasted $195...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bradcny

Bradcny

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

I have a DB8 antenna that for the longest time was just propped up in a first floor window near my TV. I had wanted it mounted on the roof for a long time, but various things had prevented that until today. So, the local business that installs OTA's comes out and puts it up on the roof (this is a two-story home) I, assuming that the greatly increased elevation will vastly improve my signal and even find more channels, run a scan looking for more stations. I get the exact same channels that I got with it in the first floor window. I don't know whether I should cry, throw up, or punch a baby in the face. I'm not an expert on these things, so I wish the guy would have taken the time to educate me a bit as to the possibility that I won't be any better off. So now, I have basically paid almost $200 to just have the antenna mounted on the roof and I have nothing to show for it. Oh, and a channel that had a signal strength in the high 90s in the window, now only has a strength of between 75 and 80. I'm just sick over this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

I think you miss a rotor for it !

#3 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

and a preamp.

#4 OFFLINE   Bradcny

Bradcny

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

and a preamp.

Actually I have an amp attached

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

I can come up with a couple of explanations.

1. There really is something called a "sweet spot" for receiving channels. Where I grew up one end of the house was like a magnet for receiving OTA TV, AM radio, and CB. Go in a direct line to the other side of the house and it was like a lead wall was there. Even where I live now, I have an indoor amplified antenna to get a couple of locals. If I move the antenna placed in the window over to the right hand side, it can not get one of the stations. move it just a few inches and it gets it. Something may be blocking the signals where your antenna now happens to be that wasn't blocking it sitting on the first floor. Could even be a mountain you can't see, etc...

2. Perhaps something is not hooked up correctly. Check all the connections carefully. Also wait a day, weather does play a role in signals, as I am finding especially digital signals. On Warm summer nights I can get out of state digital channels. By around 11AM or so, I can't. I can't get them at all in Winter, or when it is raining.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Actually I have an amp attached

What channels were you expecting to get? Here is a list of the channels you can get depending on your equipment. Those with a DB level below 10 will be VERY hard to pick up without a rotor, and amp, and perhaps a higher gain antenna.

Your stations are from all over the compass there. I seriously doubt you will have luck without a rotor unless you can point your antenna at the stations at 250 degrees and pick up the local ones that are close off the back of the antenna.

Attached Thumbnails

• Radar-Digital.png

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

Punch a baby in the face? What. The. F. :nono2:

#8 OFFLINE   speedlaw

speedlaw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

[quote name='tampa8']I can come up with a couple of explanations.

1. There really is something called a "sweet spot" for receiving channels. Where I grew up one end of the house was like a magnet for receiving OTA TV, AM radio, and CB.

WHAT HE SAID ! I also have found that reception can vary quite a bit by location. I have seen big changes in small location moves putting up ham antennas...I once LOST signal by RAISING an antenna. Move it around-it's a hit or miss thing, not a binary result.......

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:37 PM

Personally I would never go with a DB8 not to mention thats a UHF only antenna. Either Channel Master or Winegard in my book are the only worthy options. They make some really good antenna's. If you really wanna gain more stations look into one of them.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#10 OFFLINE   Bradcny

Bradcny

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

Personally I would never go with a DB8 not to mention thats a UHF only antenna. Either Channel Master or Winegard in my book are the only worthy options. They make some really good antenna's. If you really wanna gain more stations look into one of them.

The funny thing is that I had used this same antenna in a different location with fantastic results. My original thinking (incorrect as it was) was that since I picked up so many stations living in a trailer, out in the boondocks, that I would certainly get lots of channels living in a two-story house in the city. I am now educated ($200 later) that it is all about the terrain where you live. Out in the boondocks I was on a hill, where as now, in the city, I am in more of a valley.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

Anyway, a rotor would help you get the signals in the valley.

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Personally I would never go with a DB8 not to mention thats a UHF only antenna. Either Channel Master or Winegard in my book are the only worthy options.

Channel Master USED to make good antennas until they were sold off. Now they make junk. Compare a 4228 with the 4228HD and you will see what I mean.

XG91 is a great UHF antenna. Winegards VHF-HI/UHF series yagis are good. Personally, I use a Televes DAT75 for UHF and a Winegard VHF-hi yagi combined with a Channel Master 7777 amp. I also use a Channel Master Quantum Full spectrum log periodic (made before Channel Master quit making good antenna's.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#13 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

With several stations located only 4 or 5 miles away, the LAST thing you need is a preamp. It will be overwhelmed by the signals from those stations.

As for the readings, having the antenna up on the roof may have just given it a "view" of something that is reflecting the signal...i.e., multipath. That may be all the readings are telling you, just that you have a bit more multipath. But, if you are getting dropouts, you might be just having a degraded signal due to the interference from too much signal on those nearby stations.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

With several stations located only 4 or 5 miles away, the LAST thing you need is a preamp. It will be overwhelmed by the signals from those stations.

As for the readings, having the antenna up on the roof may have just given it a "view" of something that is reflecting the signal...i.e., multipath. That may be all the readings are telling you, just that you have a bit more multipath. But, if you are getting dropouts, you might be just having a degraded signal due to the interference from too much signal on those nearby stations.

On both counts if he install a rotor the issues would be reduced or eliminated.

#15 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:51 AM

I'm not an expert on these things, so I wish the guy would have taken the time to educate me a bit as to the possibility that I won't be any better off.

We could have done that for you. Start by posting your report from www.tvfool.com. Here is the generic report for Utica. http://www.tvfool.co...=c77abdda459dcc

It shows that the three local stations are too strong for a preamp. In Utica a DB-8 cannot be aimed to pick up the Smith Hill stations and WKTV simultaneously. The DB-2 would have been better and cheaper. What was wrong with the antenna in the window?

#16 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:34 AM

This may be a stupid question, but you did re-scan for signals after moving the antenna?

#17 OFFLINE   Bradcny

Bradcny

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:40 AM

This may be a stupid question, but you did re-scan for signals after moving the antenna?

That's a reasonable question; yes I did.

spam firewall