Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reception problem?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nyte_eyes

Nyte_eyes

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 02:45 PM

Hi all,
I posted this same question in the Dish network newsgroups, but I thought I would ask here too. Ive had my Dish since november, and its great. Last monday, our signal kept cutting out, and we were getting the pixeling, hope thats the right term, and the acquiring satellite signal messages. We checked our signal strengths, and they were fine. We ran the check switch, came out ok. Unplugged the unit, and removed the smartcard. After that It straightened out. Yesterday, we started getting the same problem, so we called the Dish 1 800 number, and they said are signals were fine, and that they were going to try and link with our unit and try a boost of signal strength, and if that doesnt work, call back and theyll send someone out.

Well, It worked temporarily, and now its back. Our connections were checked a couple months ago, because we were having problems and installation was still under warranty.

They put new connectors on, ran a loop in the lines so moisture doesnt stick to it. Everything was given a go. So now, we might have to call these people back.

Are there any suggestions before I call? Or have I done everything possible? Can a Navy base interfere with my signal? Probably a dumb question, But I have to ask.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any advice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 02:54 PM

"they were going to try and link with our unit and try a boost of signal strength, and if that doesnt work, call back and theyll send someone out."

I've never heard of such a thing... sounds like they wanted you off the phone. I'd make them come out and figure out the problem.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

#3 OFFLINE   Nyte_eyes

Nyte_eyes

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 02:58 PM

Dont get me wrong with that statement, I wasnt the one on the phone with them, it was my husband, and thats whats he told me. Who knows what they were really trying to say.

Anyway, they werent being rude, they told us to call back if it didnt work.

I think that was taken wrong.

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 03:04 PM

Welcome Nyte Eyes

I answered your post in the newsgroups, but again I am 95% sure its a problem with the connectors. Interferance is getting in somewhere, if its not the connectors then you got a spit in one of your cables.

I am hoping its the first one. :)

Good luck and again welcome!

#5 OFFLINE   Nyte_eyes

Nyte_eyes

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 04:49 PM

And were told they'll probably have to change out our pvr unit. Since this problem doesnt occur on the 301 in the bedroom. They also said it has nothing to do with the new Echostar7

Will keep you updated

ACK! forgot, theyre supposed to be shipping us the unit, wonder how long that will take?

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 04:51 PM

One thing you can try is move the 301 to where the pvr is and the pvr to the bedroom, if this still happens then the rep is correct there is a problem with the pvr.

If the problem happens on the 301 then the problem is in the line to which the receiver is hooked to.

#7 OFFLINE   Nyte_eyes

Nyte_eyes

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 04:54 PM

But, I wouldnt want to unhook all of those wires!! Besides, anytime we have this problem, it is NEVER present in the bedroom...

Guess ill have to hurry and copy the movies I have saved.

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 04:55 PM

Have your husband do it. :) Guys like wires hehe

#9 OFFLINE   Nyte_eyes

Nyte_eyes

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 04:59 PM

Until I met my hubby who has this setup thats intimidating...so I stay away...far away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...