Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Self upgrade from HD to HD DVR - Dish/Coax questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   turbovr6

turbovr6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

Hello all,

I have some questions that I hope you guys can answer for me..

My roommate moved out and left me with just the dish(he was the account owner). We did self install back in the day(single LNB), and all dish upgrades so I am comfortable with doing installs.

I currently have the slimline dish with one coax connected that was feeding the HD receiver in the living room.

I went to the direct tv site today and am ready to subscribe. I'm not a fan of installers messing up my house, plus as a technical guy by trade, I prefer to do my own work.

My question is what will I need to do if I want to subscribe, get an HD DVR with the whole home option and add a second receiver in the bedroom?

Will I need to connect more lines to the dish? (currently just have one) or can I use a multi switch?

I am trying to plan ahead to get this done as easy as possible once I sign up for new service and they send me all the equipment.

Thanks,
Jay

H21-100
Slimline to BBC(no multiswitches)
Harmon Kardon AVR-635
Vizio P50HDTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

You're going to have to change to a SWiM system/dish for the MRV service, or go completely unsupported with ethernet.
SWiM LNB, PI, splitter, and DECA for the coax networking between receivers.

There is a whole forum about this here: http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   turbovr6

turbovr6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

You're going to have to change to a SWiM system/dish for the MRV service, or go completely unsupported with ethernet.
SWiM LNB, PI, splitter, and DECA for the coax networking between receivers.

There is a whole forum about this here: http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137

Thank you for the reply! I feel that I may be over complicating my needs by including the whole home option.

I'm not really concerned about the whole home option, but it appears to be included when you order new service with a DVR.

My goal is to get an HD DVR working in the living room with the Direct Cinema option and an HD receiver working in the bedroom. Honestly, Bedroom TV use is infrequent, so I may even nix that idea if it proves to be a hassle.

I have no landline, but my router is in the living room with all the home theater equipment.

I guess what I am really wondering at this point is if:

for a dvr do I need to add a second coax from the dish or is there a way to add a multi switch to the one existing coax and then split it to the HD DVR and possible a HD box in the bedroom? Getting to the dish is a PIA and it's still cold here in Jersey to be playing on a ladder!

Thanks again, sorry if my first post was a total waste :nono2:

Thanks again

H21-100
Slimline to BBC(no multiswitches)
Harmon Kardon AVR-635
Vizio P50HDTV

#4 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:50 PM

If we assume that what you have is a conventional or legacy dish with only one cable attached, as opposed to a SWiM dish which only needs one cable, then there's nothing you can do to turn the one cable you have into two or three feeds. The only option would be to run additional cables from the dish to the second tuner on the DVR and to the added bedroom receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,984 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Thank you for the reply! I feel that I may be over complicating my needs by including the whole home option.

I'm not really concerned about the whole home option, but it appears to be included when you order new service with a DVR.

My goal is to get an HD DVR working in the living room with the Direct Cinema option and an HD receiver working in the bedroom. Honestly, Bedroom TV use is infrequent, so I may even nix that idea if it proves to be a hassle.

I have no landline, but my router is in the living room with all the home theater equipment.

I guess what I am really wondering at this point is if:

for a dvr do I need to add a second coax from the dish or is there a way to add a multi switch to the one existing coax and then split it to the HD DVR and possible a HD box in the bedroom? Getting to the dish is a PIA and it's still cold here in Jersey to be playing on a ladder!

Thanks again, sorry if my first post was a total waste :nono2:

Thanks again

Non SWiM means you need to have one coax running to each tuner. The LNB has four outputs, so you'd need to run three coax [two to the DVR & 1 to the receiver].
There is no other way to get both tuners working, unless you move to the SWiM system. The SWiM only has a single output and then you split it as needed and each receiver only uses the SAT #1 input [DVRs feed both tuners off this].
Ethernet works fine for the Cinema feature.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hello all,

I have some questions that I hope you guys can answer for me..

My roommate moved out and left me with just the dish(he was the account owner). We did self install back in the day(single LNB), and all dish upgrades so I am comfortable with doing installs.

I currently have the slimline dish with one coax connected that was feeding the HD receiver in the living room.

I went to the direct tv site today and am ready to subscribe. I'm not a fan of installers messing up my house, plus as a technical guy by trade, I prefer to do my own work.

My question is what will I need to do if I want to subscribe, get an HD DVR with the whole home option and add a second receiver in the bedroom?

Will I need to connect more lines to the dish? (currently just have one) or can I use a multi switch?

I am trying to plan ahead to get this done as easy as possible once I sign up for new service and they send me all the equipment.

Thanks,
Jay

You're going against the grain here as they will do the installation if you order it through them.

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

I guess the first question is what kind of dish was left? If it is the 18" round dish, then it must be replaced with a Slimline. If there is already a Slimline dish installed, then we need to know if it is an SWiM LNB or a regular LNB (one coax connector or 4 coax connectors).

However, I'm not sure DirecTV will even let you establish a new account with a self-install. I think they require an installer to be involved.

The Slimline dish will not mount on the same mount that the 18" round dish mounts on. If your existing dish is the round one, then you will also need a new mounting foot/mast.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...