Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fire season 2011 begins

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:17 AM

Hmmm. Well, this is the earliest I've started one of these threads. And the fires are in the Washington, D.C. region. From the Washington Post article headlined Winds cut power, spread fires across D.C. area, topple National Christmas Tree:

Dangerous winds with gusts of more than 50 mph Saturday fueled blazes throughout the region, including in Laurel, Dale City and Germantown. More than 150 acres of the Shenandoah National Forest had burned by late afternoon.

In parts of the D.C. region, ashes fell from the sky. Smoke was so thick, some said, it felt like dusk at midday. Plumes of smoke could been seen for miles as more than a dozen fires were reported, a situation some likened to wildfire season on the West Coast.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

We have several wildfires going in NC now as well. The state as a whole is very dry.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

We have several wildfires going in NC now as well. The state as a whole is very dry.

Wow, I had no idea and did a Google News search. One example:

People should not burn outdoors today and tomorrow because high winds and dry air have increased the risk of wildfires in North Carolina, according to the National Weather Service and the N.C. Division of Forest Resources.

Statewide, 288 wildfires burned nearly 3,000 acres Saturday. Some of these fires continue to burn today and will require firefighters to continue battling the fires and monitoring them during the next few days. The most significant fires include: · The Parktown Fire in Warren County, which burned 1,100 acres near Afton and Elberon. The fire is only 20 percent contained. The fire caused the evacuation of between 65 and 70 homes on Saturday, mostly due to smoke. About 12 of those homes were under immediate threat from the fire and were protected by local volunteer fire departments. All evacuees have been allowed to return home. Firefighters will continue to work to contain the fire today.

That led me to a story about wildfires in Virginia:

...The Virginia Department of Forestry said Saturday that firefighters in at least 50 localities have been battling outdoor fires for much of the day. The department also said it is working two significant fires in Rockingham and Warren counties.

...Fires have temporarily closed several roads in Virginia including Interstate 64 in New Kent County and Interstate 95 ramps in Prince William County. The Virginia Department of Transportation and Virginia State Police have been handling traffic control and detours.

Officials say about 100 Louisa County residents have been evacuated because their homes were threatened.

Another story:

A blaze aggravated by gusty winds and extremely dry weather conditions destroyed a southern Roanoke County home Saturday evening. Earlier Saturday, a brush fire narrowly missed igniting a home in Montgomery County.

This seems significant to me. These two adjacent states have about 60% of the area of California. If there was this kind of wildfire activity in the southern two-thirds of California in February, I think we would be seeing more prominent news coverage.

I go to Yahoo News U.S. National, no stories. I go to Google news, U.S., no stories.:confused:

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

It's been a recurrent theme on the newscasts , in the weather segments - "Please do not burn outside due to the severe drought conditions and especially with the high winds of the last couple days".

And yet - we still have the fools who do...
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

www.weather.gov has a whole section on fire weather.

#6 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

It's been a recurrent theme on the newscasts , in the weather segments - "Please do not burn outside due to the severe drought conditions and especially with the high winds of the last couple days".

And yet - we still have the fools who do...

Fortunately, in NJ it's a rare occurrence when someone burns anything outside. Doing so usually prompts a visit from the nearest fire department very quickly.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

The National Weather Service has had this up for our area for the last week, the details change from day to day but the gist is always the same.. it appears on the Weather Channels home page for my forecast:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Atlanta, GA

Mon, Feb 21, 2011, 12:00 AM EST

... FIRE DANGER STATEMENT...
... HIGH FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED FROM MID MORNING THROUGH THE EARLY EVENING HOURS TODAY FOR NORTH AND MOST OF CENTRAL GEORGIA DUE TO STRONG WINDS AND DRY FUELS...
SUSTAINED WINDS OF 15 MPH OR GREATER CAN BE EXPECTED ALONG WITH GUSTS OF 20 TO 25 MPH. RELATIVE HUMIDITY WILL STAY ABOVE 25 PERCENT.
WITH DRY FUELS... HIGH FIRE DANGER CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED.
PLEASE REFER TO YOUR LOCAL BURN PERMITTING AUTHORITIES CONCERNING WHETHER YOU MAY BURN OUTDOORS. IF YOU DO BURN OUTSIDE... USE EXTREME CAUTION.

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#8 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,448 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

Yesterday's news reported a grass fire in Charlotte caused by a portable charcoal grill that quickly surrounded the house next door and melted the vinyl siding. No other structural damage was reported.
Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) has issued a ban on all outside burning.

A somewhat amusing (but costly) story from Oklahoma last month:
A blazing squirrel caused a wildfire.
http://www.wsoctv.co...790/detail.html

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

From an AP story headlined West Texas wildfires scorch 80,000 acres; 1 death:

Wildfires sweeping across West Texas destroyed dozens of homes, forced evacuations and closed an interstate after heavy smoke caused a fatal accident Sunday, and winds fueling the fires weren't expected to weaken overnight.

The fires blackened almost 88,000 acres and destroyed 58 homes from the Texas Panhandle to the southern plains, Texas Forest Service spokesman Lewis Kearney said.

My AV Setup

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:55 AM

From an AP story headlined Wildfires destroy 49 homes in Okla., 9 in Texas:

The fire in Harrah, about 20 miles east of downtown Oklahoma City, was one of 30 that broke out around the state, forcing the evacuation of schools and a nursing home, destroying at least 19 homes and causing minor smoke-related injuries. Wildfires also destroyed nine homes in North Texas' Jack County, and forced the evacuation of dozens of others.

The largest Oklahoma blazes were south and east of the state capital, where winds gusts of over 40 mph were recorded Friday and temperatures were unseasonably high. Like much of the state, the affected areas have been in a prolonged drought.

The Harrah fire destroyed at least 30 homes, and nine more were destroyed in neighboring Choctaw, Oklahoma County Sheriff John Whetsel said. That number could surpass 50 by the time the fires are brought under control, he said.

My AV Setup

#11 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

Noticed this headline this morning Wildfire forces evacuation of 100 Colorado homes:

The fire has already blackened about 1,200 acres west of Golden, in Jefferson County, and officials said it was 15 percent contained Tuesday.

A light dusting of snow fell on the tops of the hills overnight, but the weather has been mostly working against firefighters in the steep, rugged terrain about 15 miles from downtown Denver.

More strong winds are in the forecast, with gusts as high as 75 mph expected later in the day.

My AV Setup

#12 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

This is getting too close:

http://www.9news.com...-Franktown-fire

I am OK as the fire is several miles away from me and the winds are blowing it away, but there could be an issue getting home tonight...
My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

Got home OK, no issues with getting here. Here is a great video of animals being saved and the incredible precision of the water drop pilots:

http://www.9news.com...id=853340479001
My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

Got home OK, no issues with getting here. Here is a great video of animals being saved and the incredible precision of the water drop pilots:

http://www.9news.com...id=853340479001

I see they've got both the Burning Tree and Indian Gulch Fires contained. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Fires this early in the year feel weird to me. Here in Northern California we're near flood conditions and it's pouring rain as I write this. I can't even imagine how high the fire risks are going to be this summer on the eastern slope of the Rockies and apparently the entire region in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, and Oklahoma.:(

My AV Setup

#15 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

I know what you mean about the weird weather. The storms that are pouring on you move east and dump plenty of snow in the mountains but just stop at the Continental Divide. The mountains have snowpack ranging from 120% to 180% of normal but out here in the east snow has been about 25% of normal
My Setup

#16 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

I see they've got both the Burning Tree and Indian Gulch Fires contained. Glad it worked out ok for you.

Fires this early in the year feel weird to me. Here in Northern California we're near flood conditions and it's pouring rain as I write this. I can't even imagine how high the fire risks are going to be this summer on the eastern slope of the Rockies and apparently the entire region in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, and Oklahoma.:(

After all the snow and rain we've gotten in NJ, today I open up the Weather Bug and it's got a Red Alert up. Ground is like a sponge. Go figure.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

Sorry, I have been preoccupied with other things, so I haven't acknowledge that Texas has been on fire. One AP headline yesterday was Massive W. Texas fire spreads up to 125 sq. miles.

The thread title article from the Austin American-Statesman reported:

FORT DAVIS — This small town at the base of some of the most beautiful mountains in Texas now looks as if it's surrounded by a giant, black lava flow. Once-golden rangeland is so black that Angus cattle are camouflaged.

Weekend wildfires, intensified by strong winds, had spread to more than 60,000 acres Sunday in Presidio and Jeff Davis counties, and they came within licking distance of the Jeff Davis County Courthouse, leveling a historical home just across the highway from it.

Flames nearly reached the Hotel Limpia, built in 1912, and its famed courtyard garden, as well as other buildings along the main street of Fort Davis as the skies rained ash.

An estimated 50 homes in the area have been destroyed, according to the Texas Forest Service, and so many utility lines burned Saturday that the power went out in this town of 1,000 about 200 miles southeast of El Paso.

Across West Texas, firefighters from 25 states were battling more than a dozen blazes. No deaths or injuries had been reported Sunday night, officials said.

One photo from that article:

Posted Image

My AV Setup

#18 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

Things seem pretty bad in Texas. One firefighter was killed Friday, another suffered third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body Saturday. From the AP via Yahoo:

A wildfire sweeping across some 20,000 acres in North Texas has killed a firefighter, forced hundreds of evacuations — including an entire town — and destroyed at least 30 homes, state officials said Friday.

The fire was burning in a mostly rural area about 120 miles west of Dallas, though the region also has expensive lake homes and is a popular recreation spot. The blaze was among several charring tens of thousands of acres across the state.

From the Star-Telegram:

An Eastland volunteer firefighter was killed Friday near Gorman as wildfires raged across Texas, destroying 30 homes near Possum Kingdom Lake and causing Possum Kingdom State Park to be evacuated.

Eastland fire officials said Gregory M. Simmons, 51, died while fighting a fire near Gorman, about 100 miles southwest of Fort Worth. He was battling a fire near Kokomo that was being pushed toward Gorman by northwest winds, officials said.

Posted Image

And from the AP:

Firefighter Elias Jacquez remained in critical condition Tuesday with burns over 60 percent of his body, said Loli Reyna, a nursing supervisor at University Medical Center in Lubbock. Jacquez suffered third-degree burns Saturday while fighting a blaze that charred 60,000 acres — about 94 square miles — near Amarillo, according to Moore County Emergency Management spokesman David Garrett.

My AV Setup

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,414 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

Just to keep up this thread a little, this evening we have these headlines:

Wildfire consumes homes in eastern Arizona

Arizona fires burn tens of thousands of acres

And from this short AP summary:

The Wallow Fire near the White Mountain community of Alpine grew to 218 square miles, or more than 140,000 acres, by Saturday morning.

...Fire officials said they had zero containment of the fire near the New Mexico-Arizona state line, which has forced an unknown number of people to evacuate.

Crews were working to protect homes in Alpine and nearby Nutrioso from the fire and blowing embers that could start smaller, spot fires. The fire had reached Alpine's outskirts and was more than two miles away from homes in Nutrioso, said Bob Dyson, a spokesman for the team fighting the blaze.

My AV Setup

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

I don't know if your intent is to keep this to the U.S. or not, but there was Slave Lake, Alberta.

Officials say 374 properties were destroyed and 52 others damaged when wind-driven wildfires blazed through town, destroying more than a third of the homes, along with the town hall, government centre and library. People had little warning and many escaped with just the clothes on their backs.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ake-waiver.html
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...