Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AMC Channel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

I noticed today that " The Good the Bad and the Ugly" running time is from 12:45P - 5:00P. How can a movie that ran 161 minuets originally run almost 5 hours?

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,907 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

I noticed today that " The Good the Bad and the Ugly" running time is from 12:45P - 5:00P. How can a movie that ran 161 minuets originally run almost 5 hours?

It's called commercial interruptions.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

I DVR ed Shawshank Redemption the other night & watched it later zapping commercials.It makes the movie or any other show more enjoyable.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,875 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

First...

The time is more like 4 hours 15 minutes... which is closer to only 4 hours than it is to 5 hours.

Second...

161 minutes = 2 hours 41 minutes... so that sounds about right given today's length of commercial breaks. Most shows seem to be right around 17 minutes of commercial + 43 minutes of show per broadcast hour.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,357 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:01 PM

For your convenience and safety, frequent commercial interruptions are provided so viewers can be instructed as to when, where and how to spend their money. However, the film's original running time has been carefully preserved in keeping with the director's intent, and at no time does the total running time for commercial interruptions exceed the length of the movie. This is an AFLAC rule or something.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

AMC has evolved into a garbage channel. Every other week is Godfather or Rocky week. They show the same crap over and over and over... Good movies, but I'll buy the DVD/Blu-Ray. This is another channel that could easily be dissolved. There is an overabundance of channels like this with one or two original shows and 99% re-runs!
BAN the FCC!

#7 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

AMC has evolved into a garbage channel. Every other week is Godfather or Rocky week. They show the same crap over and over and over... Good movies, but I'll buy the DVD/Blu-Ray. This is another channel that could easily be dissolved. There is an overabundance of channels like this with one or two original shows and 99% re-runs!

+1
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,550 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Unfortunately, AMC is owned by Rainbow Media which is owned by Cablevision. They own among others AMC, IFC, and Sundance Channel. IMHO they should combine them into one decend HD channel offering their original programming four or five nights a week plus divide up the movie theme lineups.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Unfortunately, AMC is owned by Rainbow Media which is owned by Cablevision. They own among others AMC, IFC, and Sundance Channel. IMHO they should combine them into one decend HD channel offering their original programming four or five nights a week plus divide up the movie theme lineups.

EXACTLY! Many media conglomerates own multiple stations that could be merged to lower channel counts and increase bandwidth with no real loss of programming.

Remember when MTV2 came out and was supposed to take it back to its roots and play music videos? It ended up being a clone of MTV and showing re-runs... Many channels seem to have this problem once they are bought up into a larger conglomerate.
BAN the FCC!

#10 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

I DVR ed Shawshank Redemption the other night & watched it later zapping commercials.It makes the movie or any other show more enjoyable.

I think you've come up with a whole new reason to use a DVR. Brilliant!!! ;)

#11 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

EXACTLY! Many media conglomerates own multiple stations that could be merged to lower channel counts and increase bandwidth with no real loss of programming.

Remember when MTV2 came out and was supposed to take it back to its roots and play music videos? It ended up being a clone of MTV and showing re-runs... Many channels seem to have this problem once they are bought up into a larger conglomerate.

Merging channels would lower advertising avail inventory, which is why most of them exist in the first place. Not sure about IFC & Sundance, though. Do they air commercials these days? If not, combining them with AMC would result in significantly lower carriage fees, which is the other reason they all exist.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#12 OFFLINE   donbean

donbean

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

yea amc really cuts it up.try watching godfather 3 on amc . reading here amc is owned by cablevision ??? figures... i cant stand cv.

#13 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,226 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I think you've come up with a whole new reason to use a DVR. Brilliant!!! ;)

The only problem is you spend more time zapping commercials with AMC then watching the movie (or so it seems)

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#14 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,044 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

For your convenience and safety, frequent commercial interruptions are provided so viewers can be instructed as to when, where and how to spend their money. However, the film's original running time has been carefully preserved in keeping with the director's intent, and at no time does the total running time for commercial interruptions exceed the length of the movie. This is an AFLAC rule or something.

Oh, I always understood the interruptions were the correction of thoughtless movie producers who have never learned that we need pee breaks. Man did I get it wrong.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,709 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Stopped watching AMC many, many, many moons ago when they switched from commercial free to just another frequently interrupted cable channel.

Whenever that was; mid 90s sometime?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#16 OFFLINE   jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

Stopped watching AMC many, many, many moons ago when they switched from commercial free to just another frequently interrupted cable channel.

Me too, but Rubicon and then the Living Dead brought me back.

I almost gave up on Rubicon due to the number and length of commercials, but the story kept me engaged enough to keep watching. Of course, they canceled it (in favor of more commercials, I'd guess!).

#17 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

Me too, but Rubicon and then the Living Dead brought me back.

I almost gave up on Rubicon due to the number and length of commercials, but the story kept me engaged enough to keep watching. Of course, they canceled it (in favor of more commercials, I'd guess!).

More likely, in favor of more viewers. The commercial load stays the same, but they get to charge advertisers more for them and then ask Dish and DirecTV for more money at contract renewal time.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...