Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R22-100 Deleting LOCKED programming when HDD is low?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:45 PM

My mom has a R22-100 that she only uses for SD. She however keeps about 70% of what she watches on the HDD. Out of the 200 or so hours available in SD about 180 are used and half or more is locked. She is now down to 9% and less. She still records daily.

The problem however is she had locked many many many, many programs. Today when a scheduled show aired the DVR automatically deleted only the other locked episodes of that title. Sunday Morning on CBS. Any other show is still present. She is wondering if the shows are set to lock why did it delete them. Also she is now down to 13% but when those 5 episodes (about 1hr 30 mins each) were deleted no space was regained. What is going on?
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

The counter may be off. Do a menu restart and it will likely fix itself.

Bottom line: DVRs aren't designed to keep things forever. If you keep recording when everything is locked, the older stuff is going to get deleted.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

The counter may be off. Do a menu restart and it will likely fix itself.

Bottom line: DVRs aren't designed to keep things forever. If you keep recording when everything is locked, the older stuff is going to get deleted.

Yep did the reset.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#4 OFFLINE   dtremain

dtremain

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

Not true. It simply won't let you record anything more until you free up some space, if all of the space is used by "do not deletes."

It doesn't make its own judgements. They are up to you.

#5 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

Is it possible that the shows being deleted are low priority in the season pass regardless if the show is locked or not?

#6 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

I Don't know myself.

#7 OFFLINE   dtremain

dtremain

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

Is it possible that the shows being deleted are low priority in the season pass regardless if the show is locked or not?

Shouldn't matter. Otherwise, locking them has no meaning. If you tell it not to delete a program, it's should not delete it.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

You keep using the term "locked" I assume you mean all the recordings that she wants to keep have the blue "K" symbol next to them. There are a few scenarios where KUID recordings may get deleted. One is if she has set a "Keep at most" option for some of her series. If she has told a series to only keep 5 episodes, when the 6th one airs, the oldest will be overwritten.

The other scenario is if the HDD has a problem, like a bad index or something, it may delete some "bad" recordings upon reboot.

#9 OFFLINE   dtremain

dtremain

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

One is if she has set a "Keep at most" option for some of her series. If she has told a series to only keep 5 episodes, when the 6th one airs, the oldest will be overwritten.

I didn't realize this. I stand corrected, but, given the wording of the categories, it seems to be the wrong way around.

In essence, I agree with the posting above, that archiving is not the purpose of a DVR, but different people value things in different ways.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...