Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie, need help with DECA set-up (plug & play?)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

Ok, I have read through a few threads and I feel like I have a decent understanding of DECA and the way it works.. But I am relatively new to the DIRECTV scene so I am considering myself a newbie!

Here's what I am trying to accomplish:

I have 1 HD-DVR that I am trying to share throughout my household onto a second HD Receiver, plus I want to access OnDemand, etc.

My system was installed a year ago and is a SWiM system. My HD DVR is model #HR23-700. I ordered a new HD received from DTV yesterday, so I don't have it yet but I am confident it will work with what I am trying to do because it is a brand new one, so it should be the latest & greatest. From what I understand my HR23 is already DECA compatible and wireless capable.. It has never been connected to the internet yet.. I have no ethernet running to that receiver..

I purchased a new (black) DECA adapter and plugged it in. I was hoping it is plug and play but the NTWK light is blank and the cLINK light is flashing amber. I have the ethernet plugged directly into my router and I have an RG6 cable running from the DECA adapter right to the wall outlet. The adapter is in a room where I do not have a receiver currently hooked up, is that ok? Or do I need a receiver in the room as well? Does plugging the DECA into a DTV wall outlet get it connected to the SWiM?

It just seems like there is some configuration I am missing. I went to the HD DVR and tried to connect but it does not find a connection. It's probably something stupid or easy, but again, I have no instructions so I am flying by the seat of my pants here!

I am hoping that I can get it set up so when my new receiver arrives in 3-5 days I can plug it in and instantly be able to share between the HD DVR and the new HD receiver.. I have not called DTV yet to activate the "whole home" setup, do I need to do that first before the DECA will work?

Any help would be super-appreciated! Thanks in advance!
-Dave

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

The HR23 doesn't have a DECA internally. Those are the 24s.
If you've connected the BB DECA [which it sounds like you have], it needs to "find" another DECA for the cLink to change to green.
It sounds like you need one of these:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1279031824

Connected to your HR23.

This won't give you MRV, but should establish the network connection to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   MRDJ

MRDJ

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

You will also need to install a 2way splitter in front of the Broadband DECA unit to block power back flow from the BB DECA from getting back into the SWM system. (So I am told anyhow).

Also might want to make sure that the wall outlet the BB DECA unit is plugged into is actually connected to the SWM splitter. Sounds to me like the BB DECA is not seeing the SWM system.

#4 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

@veryoldschool -- So it looks like I will need a second adapter for the HD DVR.. The guy I bought this one from said my "23" had it built in but obviously he was wrong! A second adapter isn't a big deal.. But do you think I will need a third for the new HD receiver? Or for the most part do all of the new receivers now have it built in? The adapter was about $20 so I will get as many as I need but I obviously don't want to buy any more than I need.. Now if I do need another DECA for the DVR, I don't have to connect that to the ethernet too, right? Just plug the ethernet from the DECA into the ethernet on the receiver...?

@MRDJ -- How can I verify that the wall adapter is indeed connected to the SWiM system? That room was not set up for HD, nor is the room that my new HD receiver is going in. Do I have to do something extra to connect these to the SWiM? I am pretty sure that splitter is in the attic, but as far as I knew, all of the receivers were connected to it in the same way.. perhaps I am wrong about that. I was under the impression that I could connect this to any wall outlet connected to my DTV system and it would be all I need, but maybe it's a little more complicated than that..

What does BB DECA stand for? It seems to be the DECA that is connected to the internet/ethernet, right?

Guys, thanks for the fast replies! This message board is awesome!

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

You will also need to install a 2way splitter in front of the Broadband DECA unit to block power back flow from the BB DECA from getting back into the SWM system. (So I am told anyhow).

Also might want to make sure that the wall outlet the BB DECA unit is plugged into is actually connected to the SWM splitter. Sounds to me like the BB DECA is not seeing the SWM system.

• complete BS. There is no DC out of the black BB DECA.
  • the BB DECA [or any other DECA] doesn't ever "see" the SWiM. It needs to see/find other DECAs.

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

@veryoldschool -- So it looks like I will need a second adapter for the HD DVR.. The guy I bought this one from said my "23" had it built in but obviously he was wrong! A second adapter isn't a big deal.. But do you think I will need a third for the new HD receiver? Or for the most part do all of the new receivers now have it built in? The adapter was about $20 so I will get as many as I need but I obviously don't want to buy any more than I need.. Now if I do need another DECA for the DVR, I don't have to connect that to the ethernet too, right? Just plug the ethernet from the DECA into the ethernet on the receiver...?

@MRDJ -- How can I verify that the wall adapter is indeed connected to the SWiM system? That room was not set up for HD, nor is the room that my new HD receiver is going in. Do I have to do something extra to connect these to the SWiM? I am pretty sure that splitter is in the attic, but as far as I knew, all of the receivers were connected to it in the same way.. perhaps I am wrong about that. I was under the impression that I could connect this to any wall outlet connected to my DTV system and it would be all I need, but maybe it's a little more complicated than that..

What does BB DECA stand for? It seems to be the DECA that is connected to the internet/ethernet, right?

Guys, thanks for the fast replies! This message board is awesome!

You "new" receiver will need a DECA too "unless" it's an H/HR24.
"right" just connect it like the picture and your BB DECA is what connects everything to the internet.

Now if your SWiM was installed a year ago, there may be some things that you'll need to change, because they weren't installing DECA compatible splitters back then.
Check your splitter and see if it has a green label. If so you're good.
Also the SWiM itself more than likely needs a bandstop filter to block the DECA signals from it.

You may need to look to see that the coax outlets in each room are actually connected to the splitter. If not then nothing will work.
If they are, then the receiver should find the SAT signals, and the BB DECA will sync once there is another DECA to sync with.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

The only splitter I've seen in my setup is in the attic, not far from the dish, and it looks to have the RG6 from the satellite coming in and then 4 wires going out to the receivers in the house.. this would have to be the SWIM splitter, right? The only other equipment I've seen is some kind of SWIM adapter that plugs into the HD DVR that also plugs into the wall.. Don't know if that helps you define my set up or not.

So I'll look at the splitter and see if it has the green label.. If it doesn't, am I screwed? I guess I will have to wait for the receiver to arrive to see which model it is and know if I need the DECA or not.. Hopefully it is this H24 that has it built in..

I have seen those band stop filters also, so I know what you're talking about.. Someone told me there should be one on all of the non-HD receivers, but I do not see any in my house. How many will I need and where do I put them?

Thanks again!

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

The only splitter I've seen in my setup is in the attic, not far from the dish, and it looks to have the RG6 from the satellite coming in and then 4 wires going out to the receivers in the house.. this would have to be the SWIM splitter, right? The only other equipment I've seen is some kind of SWIM adapter that plugs into the HD DVR that also plugs into the wall.. Don't know if that helps you define my set up or not.

So I'll look at the splitter and see if it has the green label.. If it doesn't, am I screwed? I guess I will have to wait for the receiver to arrive to see which model it is and know if I need the DECA or not.. Hopefully it is this H24 that has it built in..

I have seen those band stop filters also, so I know what you're talking about.. Someone told me there should be one on all of the non-HD receivers, but I do not see any in my house. How many will I need and where do I put them?

Thanks again!

"Screwed", no but would need to replace it with a green labeled one.
BSF are needed for any receiver that doesn't have a DECA [internally or externally] since DECAs block the signal from the tuners.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

That's a new one (not true of course.) Where did you hear that, and where would the second port of the 2-way splitter even attach to?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

@VOS - So if I have one additional receiver on my system that is non-HD and non-DECA, I will need 1 BSF for that receiver to function. The two HD receivers (one DVR, one not) which will both have DECA (whether internal or external) will NOT need BSFs...

So total system needs:

1 DECA for the Ethernet (done)
1 DECA for the HR23
1 DECA for the new HD receiver if it is not a H24 (if it is, then it's internal)

1 BSF for the "standard" receiver

And possibly a Green labeled SWIM splitter, if I don't already have it.

Then have the Whole home service activated (read the other thread by Doug about how to go about it)..

Seriously, can't thank you guys enough for this info, I'd spend all day on this and still probably get it wrong!

#11 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

@VOS - So if I have one additional receiver on my system that is non-HD and non-DECA, I will need 1 BSF for that receiver to function. The two HD receivers (one DVR, one not) which will both have DECA (whether internal or external) will NOT need BSFs...

So total system needs:

1 DECA for the HR23
1 DECA for the new HD receiver if it is not a H24 (if it is, then it's internal)

Then have the Whole home service activated (read the other thread by Doug about how to go about it)..

Seriously, can't thank you guys enough for this info, I'd spend all day on this and still probably get it wrong!

I'm not VOS, but you've got it. I'll add that you'll need a BSF for your LNB if it doesn't have a green label as well.

#12 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Sorry, one more question..

Since I need to buy 1 or 2 more DECAs, does it matter if I get the white one or the black one? The one I have now is the black one.. Are they completely interchangeable?

#13 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Sorry, one more question..

Since I need to buy 1 or 2 more DECAs, does it matter if I get the white one or the black one? The one I have now is the black one.. Are they completely interchangeable?

Use white DECA's for receivers (otherwise you will need a splitter near the receiver to connect a black one.) You do not need to order the PI with the white DECA as they are powered by the receiver.

#14 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Thanks dsw! I see it now.. I totally would have missed that!

#15 OFFLINE   MRDJ

MRDJ

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:52 AM

Our local trainer has always taught us to put a 2 way splitter inline with broadband DECA units, it was also in the DirecTV training video, (which you can watch if you have a password to satinstalltraining.com). Anyhow the input to the 2 way splitter comes directly from the SWM 4 or 8, hook the BB DECA to the red port the second output can be used for an IRD.

As far as the comment I made regarding the BB DECA not seeing the SWM what I meant to say is make sure that the other end of that outlet is actually connected to the green label SWM splitter, if it's not it won't see any other DECA units and you won't get all your green lights, thus no connectivity.

Guess I was tired when I wrote that post.

#16 OFFLINE   MRDJ

MRDJ

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

Oh BB DECA= Cinema Connection kit.

DaveH28 mentioned "I purchased a new (black) DECA adapter and plugged it in. I was hoping it is plug and play but the NTWK light is blank and the cLINK light is flashing amber. I have the ethernet plugged directly into my router and I have an RG6 cable running from the DECA adapter right to the wall outlet. The adapter is in a room where I do not have a receiver currently hooked up, is that ok?"

That's why I said to make sure that outlet was live.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

Our local trainer has always taught us to put a 2 way splitter inline with broadband DECA units, it was also in the DirecTV training video, (which you can watch if you have a password to satinstalltraining.com). Anyhow the input to the 2 way splitter comes directly from the SWM 4 or 8, hook the BB DECA to the red port the second output can be used for an IRD.

There is "nothing wrong" with using a splitter to feed both the BB DECA and an IRD at the same location.
There also is "nothing wrong" with having the coax be feed off the first splitter directly to the BB DECA.
"Frankly" you don't want to use more splitters than you need to because this causes more signal loss [than is needed].
For each 2-way splitter you add, it reduces the signal by 5 dB, just like using 50' more coax.
You have about 30 dB of system loss to play with before the receivers start reaching their minimum.
For a "rule of thumb" here are the max combinations:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1290621499
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

So total system needs:

1 DECA for the HR23

You might also need one more BSF. If your SWM-LNB is not green label you will want to install a BSF between the dish and the first splitter.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#19 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

...Anyhow the input to the 2 way splitter comes directly from the SWM 4 or 8, hook the BB DECA to the red port the second output can be used for an IRD...

I get that approach if a BB DECA is placed in the same location as a receiver, but this isn't always the case. Having a rule in place to always use a 2-way splitter is a poor practice as it introduces db loss. There's also no DC coming from a DECA, so any information stating that the 2-way is blocking "power flow" is completely false.

#20 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

You might also need one more BSF. If your SWM-LNB is not green label you will want to install a BSF between the dish and the first splitter.

- Merg

Beat you to it :P

I'm not VOS, but you've got it. I'll add that you'll need a BSF for your LNB if it doesn't have a green label as well.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...