Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Newbie, need help with DECA set-up (plug & play?)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,729 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

Not to jump all over this "but":

Our local trainer has always taught us to put a 2 way splitter inline with broadband DECA units, it was also in the DirecTV training video, (which you can watch if you have a password to satinstalltraining.com). Anyhow the input to the 2 way splitter comes directly from the SWM 4 or 8, hook the BB DECA to the red port the second output can be used for an IRD.

Even if there was [which there isn't] DC power coming out of the BB DECA, by connecting it to the red port of the splitter, this wouldn't block anything since this is the power passing port.

Do you have a link to the training video?
While I don't always agree with them, I can't honestly believe this is what they're saying/showing.
A.K.A VOS

#22 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

That's a good catch VOS, and makes you scratch your head even more...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,729 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

That's a good catch VOS, and makes you scratch your head even more...

I'm not faulting MRDJ or maybe even his trainer, as they're all trying to do the best with what they've been given, "BUT" there seems to be such a disconnect from those that know what is going on [how things really work] and what the field operations side is teaching.
A good example is the HR20-100 and connecting a DECA.
During all of the pre-release testing the 2-way splitter was between the DVR and the DECA, so the SAT #2 would power the DECA.
Then after this went into the field "some nit-wit" wrote a change order to have the splitter moved to before the DECA and use a bandstop filter for SAT #1.
This electrically makes no sense/difference and yet requires a filter, that the earlier configuration didn't.

One side of the house simply doesn't seem to check with the other side of the house before "instructing" everyone to do "dumb things".
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

...This electrically makes no sense/difference and yet requires a filter, that the earlier configuration didn't.

One side of the house simply doesn't seem to check with the other side of the house before "instructing" everyone to do "dumb things".

Now here you go bringing logic back into things. :lol: Makes sense for the manufacturer of the BSF's :D

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

Beat you to it :P

Doh! :lol: Missed that one...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#26 OFFLINE   DaveH28

DaveH28

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Ok, so I am a little further now than I was at last post.. Trying to get this all set up. Got my new HD receiver connected today. It is an HR-23 so I guess it does not have the DECA built in. I bought two more DECA adapters (the white ones, one for each HD receiver) but have not received them yet.

I bought only one BSF for the non-HD receiver, because I didn't see the new replies to the thread about needing one more for the LNB. Other than climbing up a ladder and checking the LNB manually is there any other way to determine if I will need a second BSF? The non-HD receiver is rarely used so I can always use the BSF I bought on the LNB feed and get another one for that receiver later on.

I went in the attic and examined the splitter and it does not have a green label. It is an 8 way splitter, model SWS8WB-WNC. Does this mean it is definitely not DECA compatible? Someone had mentioned that some non-green label splitters will still work? Is there a way to test it first? Or should I just get a new splitter anyway?

I did notice something odd, though.. I am only running 3 receivers in the house (my initial install was for 4) yet it's an 8 way splitter and all 8 ports are filled. I know that before I moved in there was existing service here, so I think the installer plugged all of the "old" connections in and the current ones at the same time. I have no idea why, but I guess I could just get a new splitter and be done.

Hopefully this is about it..

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,729 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

Without looking at the LNB, there isn't as way to tell/know.
The SWS8 "should work", but will have more loss for the DECA signal.
If all the splitter ports have cables, but the other end of the cables aren't going to anything, then these should be terminated with a 75 ohm load/termination.
While you're waiting for your parts, I'd leave the BSF on the receiver instead of moving it to the splitter input.
I simply don't like 8-ways with lots of ports un-used. I'd go with a 4-way and if there was a time later that I needed more, then I would add another splitter [or two] as needed.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

I did notice something odd, though.. I am only running 3 receivers in the house (my initial install was for 4) yet it's an 8 way splitter and all 8 ports are filled. I know that before I moved in there was existing service here, so I think the installer plugged all of the "old" connections in and the current ones at the same time. I have no idea why, but I guess I could just get a new splitter and be done.

Hopefully this is about it..

He probably didn't want to determine what line went to which room, so he plugged them all into the splitter. When you order your green label splitter go with the 4-way and save yourself the added DB loss.

spam firewall