Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why is ABC download fast on one computer, but slow on another?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   philmalik

philmalik

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have 2 computers running Windows XP with the program ABC downloading torrents.

Laptop #1 is a very old computer, yet it's download speeds far exceed laptop #2's speeds (which I just bought used).

I have the same version of ABC running (2.6.9) and have opened up the correct ports in my router. I made sure each laptop has the same settings for ABC.

I have turned off windows firewall on laptop #2 (the newer one), but yet the download speeds are much slower on the newer laptop #2, for the same torrent. No other firewall software is running on laptop #2.

Was wondering what other setting I could check to see why laptop #2 is much much slower.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Drivers?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

Are they connected with wireless? If so, check your signal strength.. Could be your newer computer is getting a bad signal.

Internet speed is way slower than network speed inside your house, so technically, there should not be any difference. If you are using both together at the same time, the torrent site might be limiting your speed on the second connection as well.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   philmalik

philmalik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

Both computers are running wiressless-ly. Both have good signal strength. And I ran a test having each laptop run ABC while the other is closed down. Same results. Old laptop download speeds still are much faster.

I thought the setting would be in the windows firewall, but shutting it off makes no difference.

Any other thoughts?

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

Check that your drivers are up to date.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   philmalik

philmalik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:03 AM

Are you saying like drivers for the wireless modem?

#7 OFFLINE   mgusler

mgusler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

My guess its something other than the wireless settings. Maybe an antivirus program or something else running in the background. You can boot into safe mode and see if that improves your throughput. I'd also try downloading to both PCs over a wired connection if possible.

#8 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,709 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

If this is Windows 2000 / XP - get DRTCP from DSLreports.com and do a tweaktest to adjust your network settings.

IF you're using Vista or Win7 - disregard this advice.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

spam firewall