Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Released

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,228 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

This is wierd, I haven't applied updates in a couple of weeks, machine hasn't been rebooted, but I have the SP.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Does this apply to Win7 Starter? Does anyone know?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

This is not yet available through Windows Update, if that's what you mean by weekly updates. As of now it is standalone only.

It's listed as a pending update in my update list. :shrug:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

I would think it would, the core of the OS is the same, you just can't do things like change the background image or use Aero.

#25 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

There is a report on the VMWare Fusion forums that Fusion has an issue with SP1. I haven't tried it myself yet. I'll let others try it out first. :grin:

I will have to check out the Fusion issue at work. But I am able to confirm that VMWare Workstation is working great with SP1.

#26 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

Update.

Not update.

Option.

Standalone.

Automatic silent.

Blah, blah, blah...... Only one post that eludes to anything worthwhile -- re: a rollup of the previously released patches

What does it do? Is it necessary? Does it screw anything up or fix anything? Does it add anything?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

The biggest thing new in SP1 that possibly affects home users is an audio fix over HDMI where there was a distortion after a reboot. The other new features will be useless in a home environment, update in Federation Services, Support for RemoteFX in 2008R2.

There are a total of about 796 fixes and security updates in SP1, but most you already have if you've been updating. However, software may check for SP1 as a prerequisite.

List of updates and fixes:
http://www.microsoft...d8-027ae59ddc11
(second download button)

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

The biggest thing new in SP1 that possibly affects home users is an audio fix over HDMI where there was a distortion after a reboot. The other new features will be useless in a home environment, update in Federation Services, Support for RemoteFX in 2008R2.

There are a total of about 796 fixes and security updates in SP1, but most you already have if you've been updating. However, software may check for SP1 as a prerequisite.

Thanks for the info.

Service Pack 1 releases tend to be just that - service packs that clean up loose ends and correct lingering small flaws. Glad to see them release it, but so far WIN7 here has been very, very solid anyway.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#29 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

True, but there are some updates I've deliberately passed on like anything related to IE and a couple of others. Don't need'em, don't want'em, so if they're included in SP1, I probably don't want it either.

#30 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

Stuart, just hit windows update and look in the options. I would assume yes.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

True, but there are some updates I've deliberately passed on like anything related to IE and a couple of others. Don't need'em, don't want'em, so if they're included in SP1, I probably don't want it either.

Just curious, why don't you want things like IE security updates? And before you say it, because you only use Firefox/Chrome/Opera etc is not a valid answer :)

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the info.

Service Pack 1 releases tend to be just that - service packs that clean up loose ends and correct lingering small flaws. Glad to see them release it, but so far WIN7 here has been very, very solid anyway.

They are much more careful about putting new features in service packs than they used to be. Just thinking about some of the service packs in NT4 would give me nightmares.

#33 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'm late to this party... I have been sick as a dog!

Windows 7 SP1 will be of more interest to Network Admins than most users. It is essentially a roll up of what has been released since it came out. If you are up to date your download package should be less than 90MB.

There is some "fit n finish" but essentially no new features at all other than some related to Win 2008 Server.

For those of you running Windows 7 64 bit, make sure you pick up the one optional after the install.

Side effect: you will find in your optionals, that all of the foreign language packages are back. Simply select the first language, scroll to the bottom of the list and hold the shift key down while you click on the last language. This will select all of them. Right click on the shaded language packs and choose "hide update" and that will take care of them.

This service pack is for ALL versions of Windows 7. Ignoring the Service Pack would be counterproductive (and frankly dumb) as it will set a flag on your system that tells all future updates where you are on your system

Windows 7 has been the most stable Windows ever and the SP1 has been thoroughly tested.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#34 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

Windows 7 has been the most stable Windows ever

I could not agree more Larry, and I hope you feel better soon.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#35 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,756 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Microsoft to Push Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to Users Starting March 19

As Microsoft marches toward its early April 2013 end of free support deadline for Windows 7, the company is planning to update automatically some of those who still have yet to install the first (and seemingly only) Service Pack for the operating system.

As announced on March 18 on the Microsoft "Blogging Windows" blog, Microsoft plans to begin rolling out Windows 7 SP1 automatically, via Windows Update to Windows 7 users who still are running the release-to-manufacturing (RTM) version without SP1 installed. This process will begin on March 19.

. . . .

READ MORE

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Good.

Ad for Enterprises, Microsoft has released a slow boot slow logon roll up for 7 and windows server that looks really interesting.

http://blogs.technet...able-today.aspx

#37 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Speaking of Larry ........

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Speaking of Larry ........

Seems like he's been lurking, but quiet.

spam firewall