Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Purchasing new HD DVR after house fire

dish ces vod movies

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   krep

krep

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hello,

We had a house fire in 2009 and lost all of our equipment, which included a DirecTV HD DVR, receiver, and dish. We suspended our account since then and we are FINALLY ready to move into a new house next month, and resume our service, which still has time on the contract. Insurance paid for our equipment.

So, now I need all new equipment and I can't do the normal lease-to-own-contract deal... So whats the best option for me? Ebay? I want an HD DVR receiver and the ability to watch recorded programs on 2 other TVs located elsewhere in the house. I don't know exactly what the wiring in the house is, but I'm very handy and can run/terminate coax or ethernet myself. A friend has the HD DVR that can be played back on any TV in the house, I think over ethernet. So, I think I need 1 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers, and 1 HD capable dish. Can I get something like that on ebay and activate it on my account? Can I find someone to install and point the dish for me (I have done this once and could probably do it myself). How much should I pay for the hardware and what do I need to look for?

Just looking for some guidance before I tackle this on my own with all original research...

Thanks for any help the community can provide.

Noah
Houston, TX

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

First, there isn't any "lease to own" deal.
Why can't you call DirecTV and ask them what this new hardware would cost?
Maybe the front line CSR may not know what to do, but if you get transferred to customer retention and explain what has happened and what you want/need, they should be able to help.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   krep

krep

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

Ok so its not technically called a lease.

What I meant was, rather than buy the equipment outright, I think we signed a contract to keep service with DirecTV for a certain period of time in order to get the equipment for "free". Based on that, we had to either return the equipment to cancel, pay the original price, or honor the contract. Since we lost the equipment, and I would rather keep DirecTV, I need to buy new equipment outright, right? (plus, I want a new box and not some old model that doesn't support the latest features).

Or you think I can finagle a deal if I say the right thing to the CSR? I just talked to the Front line CSR (or the guy who answered when I called the 800 number in the suspension email) and he seemed like he was on dope or something. He mashed some buttons and extended my suspension until I'm ready to move in, and told me to get new equipment I'd need to call back and ask for the "Customer Experience" department... I decided asking on this forum was probably a better first step...

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

What I meant was, rather than buy the equipment outright, I think we signed a contract to keep service with DirecTV for a certain period of time in order to get the equipment for "free". Based on that, we had to either return the equipment to cancel, pay the original price, or honor the contract. Since we lost the equipment, and I would rather keep DirecTV, I need to buy new equipment outright, right? (plus, I want a new box and not some old model that doesn't support the latest features).

Or you think I can finagle a deal if I say the right thing to the CSR? I just talked to the Front line CSR (or the guy who answered when I called the 800 number in the suspension email) and he seemed like he was on dope or something. He mashed some buttons and extended my suspension until I'm ready to move in, and told me to get new equipment I'd need to call back and ask for the "Customer Experience" department... I decided asking on this forum was probably a better first step...

Actually they are all leased now.
You have an "odd" situation, so I wouldn't count on a first line CSR to know how or be able to handle this.
"Customer Retention" department, are the ones that have more control/access into the system, so this is where I'd go to have someone take care of this.
Your insurance has paid the non returned equipment charges, and you're left with the remains of the 2-year programing commitment.
I'd expect you won't see any "free" hardware, but $199/HD DVR & $99/HD receiver. These costs are for LEASED hardware, and you'll restart your 2-year commitment.
I'd call and ask to be transferred to retention and see what they can do, before trying to go else where for the hardware and installation.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

You're going to need to get all new equipment and the cheapest way is through DIRECTV. You are also going to need to pay the cost of your old equipment since you will not be able to return it. Tell them about the fire. The main issue I see here is if you used your insurance I doubt your claim is still open. If it is then you need to submit the costs of all the equipment in that claim. If not you're going to have to pay the costs for all of your old leased receivers that are destroyed.

New leased equipment will also put you in a new 2 year agreement. You'll be placing a movers order, even if it's the same physical address due to your new house, and that will probably have some discounts and promotions available in it.

#6 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Happend to me with dish.

Lightning burned down the house next to me, and i lost all my av equipment.

Insurance did cover any loss of the stuff. Although dish sent me a new dvr for free, but in this case i actually had the dvr and it wasnt melted into a pile.

I agree, call dtv and explain what happened, probrably still the best deal.

Also, that might be a life changing event which usually nulls the contract. You can ask them if you qualify for a new contract and might even get all NEW and not refurbed equipment. Add MRV and whatever else they give out for free to get latest and greatest.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

Also, that might be a life changing event which usually nulls the contract. You can ask them if you qualify for a new contract and might even get all NEW and not refurbed equipment. Add MRV and whatever else they give out for free to get latest and greatest.

There is no such thing for DIRECTV not sure where you got this one (the life changing event to null a contract). The only way to guarantee non refurb is ordering it through a retailer. Not sure why you think ordering MRV would change anything. You install what's on your truck nothing more nothing less.

Edited by Shades228, 26 February 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   liquidctv

liquidctv

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

>Not sure why you think ordering MRV would change anything.

Because in most cases an MRV job will be dispatched with 24's. Yeah, you can do it with a 21 and a receiver deca, but if the warehouse has 24's, they will prioritize them towards MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

>Not sure why you think ordering MRV would change anything.

Because in most cases an MRV job will be dispatched with 24's. Yeah, you can do it with a 21 and a receiver deca, but if the warehouse has 24's, they will prioritize them towards MRV.

However, it is not a guaranteee as Jodean implied.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

well there is life changing events and directv has them

one for sure is death

not for sure but should be
marriage
divorce
deployment
inprisonment
natural disasters
loss of job

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

well there is life changing events and directv has them

one for sure is death

not for sure but should be
marriage
divorce
deployment
inprisonment
natural disasters
loss of job

Well, I can tell you that DirecTV does not consider divorce or loss of job as life changing events. While they will try to help you out in some ways, either of those will not get you out of your contract. In the case of marriage , you can basically merge two accounts into one. As for deployment, I believe DirecTV will work with you in regards to suspending or canceling the account. I don't think they would do anything for imprisonment as, well, the person got themselves into that.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hello,

Insurance paid for our equipment.

Just curious -- what did they cover in regards to your equipment? Did they cover your destroyed equipment and the cost to buy replacement receivers?

#13 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

imprisonment

better hope you get a south facing cell window! :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:10 PM

Just curious -- what did they cover in regards to your equipment? Did they cover your destroyed equipment and the cost to buy replacement receivers?

Most of the time claims pay a bulk amount, some do require itemization, it's all based on the policy. So depending on the policy it's up the the insured to decide how to best spend that money.

#15 OFFLINE   krep

krep

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

Insurance did pay for the receivers and equipment.

I was just trying to figure out whats the cheapest way to go.

Thanks for all the tips and information.

#16 OFFLINE   krep

krep

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

Wow this did NOT go smoothly. I called DirecTV, explained the situation and then followed their advice. I was told cancelling was the easiest way to do it, then re-open a new account. After much transfering and explaining, it was done, account cancelled. I asked to immediately open a new account, and was told I would be transfered... slight pause... then I was told "it wasn't transfering for some reason" and to call back and given another phone number. I asked, "so it's CANCELED? I can hang up and we are done if I like"?

DTV: "yes"

So, I had my wife create a new account online, set up an installation and everything went perfectly. They called and confirmed the installation. Then they called back the day before the installation, "this is account security - you can't cancel your old account and open a new one". I told them that was what I was told to do, and asked him if he'd checked the notes on my account, and explained my situation (FIRE), AGAIN. This was probably the 10th time I've explained it to someone at DirecTV.

What was his answer? "Well, I understand and I'm sorry, but you need to put it under the same account, you can't open a new account."

I told him, "ok FINE, I don't care, what do we need to do then?"

DTV: "well, what you need to do is return the equipment first--"

me: "OMG I just told you it BURNED up -- no actually that's a simplification. I do have the DVR, and it is completely rusted inside and out and when I pulled it out of the wreckage it was dripping water from the firetrucks, and about half the plastic is melted and I took off the case to see if it would be possible to salvage the hard drive, and it looks like it was at the bottom of the atlantic ocean for 30 years. The dish is completely gone. It was on top of the roof of which nothing was left, and the temperature was over 1500 deg F according to the fire investigator (the copper electrical lines melted in two), so it either melted or was lost in the wreckage - which is now part of a land fill. Do you want to see pictures?"

DTV: "well, then what you need to do is call back and call this number"

me: "I AM NOT CALLING YOU AGAIN UNLESS ITS TO CANCEL! I've called you 10 times already! You work for DirecTV - FIX IT! Send me a bill! Don't waste any more of my time!"

DTV: "Oh no sir, I can't do that, I just work in account security"

At this point I had delivery people show up and I had to get off the phone, so I told him "I can't talk any more now, I have delivery people here and I have to talk to them - fix it". And hung up.

I was furious and couldn't talk to them any more (and as a rule I don't get mad, it takes a RIDICULOUS amount of abuse to break my calm - anybody who knows me thinks its completely impossible to rile me in any way) so my wife called back and when they talked to her they went through the whole account activation and installation process & questions ALL OVER AGAIN because apparently he had cancelled the install.

Install guy came out, REFUSED to put the dish on the 2nd story roof where I wanted it, even though I could see all the other houses had their dishes there, even after I offered him extra money to put it up there.

Then it was done and working. Story over right?

I got a call from UPS a few days later, "umm sir, we have a package for you... it has the xxxx YYYYY address (even UPS knows my friggin house burned down)... do you have a new address?"

me: "yeah the new address is blah blah blah"

ups: "do you still need this package? its from direcTV, looks like the empty boxes they send you to send back their receivers... I'm guessing you don't have yours... "

me: "OMG those.. no I dont... no wait. Yes I do. Send them to the new address, I will send them their old equipment alright."

So if they want to waste money on a pile of rust, so be it.

#17 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

If insurance paid for the receivers I can't see why they want them back. Send them the rust.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#18 OFFLINE   Joe C

Joe C

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:17 AM

: I took off the case to see if it would be possible to salvage the hard drive,

Uh oh, you're probably going to get a lecture from the TOS fan club here about opening a leased DVR.:grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...