Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

3G, 4G Wireless Trial?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

Not even sure what the newest available protocol is.

I'm fairly deep rural. Closest 'big' town is very small by comparison, about 25K population. Providers in the area are Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile (limited coverage area). I have a cell phone repeater that gives me 5 bars inside the house and I can generally get 2-3 bars out in the yard away from the repeater.

Current StarBand contract expires in late summer and I'm looking for possible alternatives. DSL might possibly be available now, but I doubt it due to my distance from the TelCo switch. If I can get that, it won't be full speed and they're not cheap in this area like they are in bigger towns. Slowest speed is about $40/mo. There is a WISP in the area, that I'll look into, but I'm not sure I have a clear LOS to their towers. Also in the $40/mo range as far as I know.

I realize I may have to change the repeater to a dual band unit since the current one is 800Mhz only.

So, the question comes down to this. Do any of the cell providers offer a trial plan where they'll send you a modem/router to see if you can get a reliable signal without getting into a contract with cancellation fees?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

Not to my knowledge, but at least in California cell phone service has a 30-day return window. I wonder if a cell modem would have the same.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

I think most cellular providers will let you cancel a contract within 30 days. I think you would be out only the charge for the service for the number of days that you used it. I don't know if there is a restocking fee for returned equipment.

We finally were able to get 3G coverage at our house & when Verizon offered a 10GB data plan we decided to ditch satellite & go with that.

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

What I'm looking to do is drop Sat TV, Sat Internet and Landline (here you can still dial 911 on an otherwise 'dead' line) and go some sort of VoIP and/or IPTV which should drastically reduce my monthly costs.

Other questions:

Do all of the cell plans have monthly BW caps, limits or any sort of FAP?

Is it possible to use the modem phone number on another cell phone away from home? Or are two separate numbers required?

#5 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,003 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

My sister in rural central Michigan has been quite pleased with her Virgin Mobile setup which uses the Sprint network. She says it beats the hell out of her old dial-up and few other options in her location.

Looks like the current offer is $50/month unlimited data with no contract, you buy the device. Speeds up to 2.5GB (depending on your area). I guess if it didn't work out for you then you'd only be out the $$ for the device (resale on Craigslist or eBay?).

http://www.virginmob...bile-broadband/

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,936 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

When I was looking for an alternative to slow DSL here, a Clearwire (now Clear) dealer let me borrow a wireless modem for a few days to see if I had coverage (their maps showed it as a possibility but this is a fairly hilly area). It worked fine and I haven't looked back (~4 Mb/s down, 400kbps up for $30/mo.)

#7 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

My sister in rural central Michigan has been quite pleased with her Virgin Mobile setup which uses the Sprint network. She says it beats the hell out of her old dial-up and few other options in her location.

Looks like the current offer is $50/month unlimited data with no contract, you buy the device. Speeds up to 2.5GB (depending on your area). I guess if it didn't work out for you then you'd only be out the $$ for the device (resale on Craigslist or eBay?).

http://www.virginmob...bile-broadband/

2.5GB speeds?? There is a note on the website that says they reserve the right to limit your download speeds if your usage goes over 2.5GB -- see below

Virgin Mobile reserves the right, without notice, to temporarily limit throughput speeds when monthly data usage on the $50 Broadband2Go Plan exceeds 2.5GB. More...

Too bad -- otherwise I was going to be all over that :-).

#8 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

As an FYI, Verizon's return period is 14 days. It used to be 30, until mid January.

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 07:00 AM

Upon review of some of the costs and plan limitations, this is not going to be an option. Every plan I looked at has a cap of no higher than 5Gb/mo. That won't handle the kinds of things I'm looking to do if I drop conventional phone and TV.

NEXT?

Gotta find out more about the WISP and/or DSL.

spam firewall