Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How does DECA / CCK Work?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pesh

pesh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

I have two HR24s with MRV over DECA. One HR24 is downstairs in living room the other is in master bedroom upstairs. In a separate bedroom, I have a Power Inverter. This is just for convenience of not having so many wires near the TVs / HD-DVRs. I have ethernet connections (hardwire) near both units. I've learned that with ethernet connected the receivers show up on home network but i lose MRV since DECA gets disabled.

From the research I've done on this site, it appears that i need to get a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). I just cannot find any real literature or information to explain how the connection really works.

- Does the CCK put my two HR24's on my home network with IP addresses making them accessible from PCs? iPad? etc?
- Is the CCK the right product for me to get?
- Is installation pretty straight-forward?
- Does DirecTV need to do anything to my account to enable OnDemand Cinema access?

Any help answering the questions would be greatly appreciated so i know that i'm going down the right path for adding internet connectivity to my DECA MRV setup.

Thanks,
Pesh

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

The CCK connects your DECA network to your router via a Cat5 connection.
The CCK connects to your DECA network via the 2/4 or 8 port splitter.

One side is a Cat5 to the router, the other a RG coax connection.
Very simple.

To have your PC's connect to them, after using the CCK, you download the Directv2pc app.

#3 OFFLINE   pesh

pesh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:36 PM

Once connected thru the CCK, can I assign IP addresses to my HR24s and access them directly on my home network?

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

They will normally receive their IP addresses from your router via DHCP, but you can assign addresses under Network Setup -> Advanced Setup.

#5 OFFLINE   pesh

pesh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

Sounds like i just need to find a CCK on ebay and i can install myself fairly easily. Thanks for the answers guys.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:45 PM

Sounds like i just need to find a CCK on ebay and i can install myself fairly easily. Thanks for the answers guys.

Yup. Once installed, just run the Automatic Network Setup on the receivers so that they will grab an IP address from your router as opposed to using their internal IP address.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

If you have any trouble finding a CCK on ebay, try searching for DirecTV broadband DECA...you should be able to find one NIB for <$20 shipped.
Vin

#8 OFFLINE   pesh

pesh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

Does adding the CCK with its power supply obsolete the need for the Power Inverter i already have?

#9 OFFLINE   pesh

pesh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, looks like D* is going to send a CCK and Installer at no cost to correct the fact that it wasn't installed at time of initial equipment upgrade.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

Does adding the CCK with its power supply obsolete the need for the Power Inverter i already have?

No, that other power inserter is for the SWiM itself (either internal to the dish or an external one.) You need both.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall