Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV iPad App (V1.0.3) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

You can already do #2 with the current version of the app.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

How? The only way I can find to do that is to select the recording receiver before using the guide. I want to do it like I can on my H24 where it prompts for the recording receiver.

OK, it works! For some reason, I had to restart the app to get it to recognize that I had selected Multiple receivers in the rescind setup screen.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   maltmyer

maltmyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

I have found that all my networked devices are much "happier" with fixed IP addresses. Instead of assigning the IP a ddss on the device, I use my router's DHCP reservation list to control it. I did not subnet everything, but I did use specific ranges for specific device types. My d* equipment is all in the x.x.x.7x series, desktops use x.x.x.8x, my mobile computers (iPad, laptop, net book, iPod touch, etc) use x.x.x.9x and other devices use x.x.x.1xx. Any device without a DHCP reservation gets an IP in the x.x.x.5x range. Like I said, my devices are much happier, but it also allows me to quickly look at my network and quickly see what's going on.

I have both my bridge and receiver on fixed IPs. I'll try changing the range for the receiver and see if that helps.

#103 OFFLINE   maltmyer

maltmyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

I have both my bridge and receiver on fixed IPs. I'll try changing the range for the receiver and see if that helps.

Well that didn't seem to solve the problem. I still have to power cycle the bridge every so often. Hitting the reset button on the router isn't even enough.

#104 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

I have found that all my networked devices are much "happier" with fixed IP addresses. Instead of assigning the IP a ddss on the device, I use my router's DHCP reservation list to control it. I did not subnet everything, but I did use specific ranges for specific device types. My d* equipment is all in the x.x.x.7x series, desktops use x.x.x.8x, my mobile computers (iPad, laptop, net book, iPod touch, etc) use x.x.x.9x and other devices use x.x.x.1xx. Any device without a DHCP reservation gets an IP in the x.x.x.5x range. Like I said, my devices are much happier, but it also allows me to quickly look at my network and quickly see what's going on.

I have MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iPads, iPods, iMacs, Androids, iPhones, Roku and a DirecTV receiver on my wireless network and have only ever used DHCP. I've never noticed that any of my devices have ever been unhappy at all.

If you want to do static IP's on your wireless network then have right at it, but don't do it just to make DirecTV work better. My HR23-700 has been on my wireless network for months and I've never had an issue. Well, other than VOD downloads are much slower than the DVRs on my wired network.

#105 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

I have MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iPads, iPods, iMacs, Androids, iPhones, Roku and a DirecTV receiver on my wireless network and have only ever used DHCP. I've never noticed that any of my devices have ever been unhappy at all.

If you want to do static IP's on your wireless network then have right at it, but don't do it just to make DirecTV work better. My HR23-700 has been on my wireless network for months and I've never had an issue. Well, other than VOD downloads are much slower than the DVRs on my wired network.

I don't use "static IP's", I use DHCP reservations. My connected devices still get their addresses via DHCP, but the router hands out a predetermined address based on the MAC of the requesting device. I never had any problems until the early days of beta testing the networking of my D* DVR's and that's when I started using reservations. After that, I decided to use it on all my networked devices. I have over 20 devices on my network (23 at this moment) and I like being able to look at the list and see my ranges of IP addresses to know what's on. I do hide my SSID and I use WPA2 and AES encryption, but I don't want to take an chances with any cyber squatters.

-- RODNEY (Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk)

#106 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

My mistake. I meant the lower LEFT hand corner of the screen.

If you go into the Apps Settings (Gear icon)..does it see your HR20 correctly?

yeah, it recognizes the receiver.

#107 OFFLINE   jurples

jurples

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

I don't think I saw this in your post, but is your HR20 connected to the router/internet/wifi in your home? It needs to be on the network for the iPad app to recognize the DVR... Otherwise, you'll just get the guide functions and not be able to control the DVR.

yup, it's connected.

#108 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,494 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

@jurples

On your DVR, in the "external devices" section in the whole home portion of the setup menu, do you have everything set to "allow"?

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#109 OFFLINE   SouthFla John

SouthFla John

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:56 AM

Hi folks-

First off, thanks for providing all of the resources I have taken advantage of over the years :)

I finally registered in order to post a question to a problem I just can't seem to resolve or find the answer to here. I wasnt sure if I should make a new post or add on to this thread...

My problem: DTV iPad app won't see my receiver.
My equipment: HR21, WGA6000n, linksys WRT54G, iPad iOS4.2

1) DTV info shows "connected" to the internet, and I can get DTV "apps" by clicking on remote "right" button.
2) iPhone 3GS DTV app works perfectly over wifi and 3G.
3) I don't have "Whole Home," as only my HR21 is connected to my home wifi network, BUT I told DTV to "allow" all Whole Home functions.
4) I've powered down and restarted my WGA a few times, and have deleted and reinstalled the DTV iPad app twice.
5) over wifi, the iPad app works fine.
6) over 3G, the app shows no connection to my receiver. When I manually put in my receiver's IP and hit "validate," it just says "validating" for a few seconds then nothing happens.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks so much, John

#110 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

First: :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Second, the iPad app will only connect to your receiver over your local WiFi network. It will work over 3G but it will not see your receivers.

You can still access the guide and schedule recordings, but you won't be able to see your playlist or use any of the remote control functions.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#111 OFFLINE   SouthFla John

SouthFla John

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

Oh, hmm okay I guess I just misunderstood the app possibilities :grin: Even if I can't "see" the receiver over iPad's 3G, I can still schedule recordings over 3G?? Not sure that makes much sense to me, but again I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night either... Guess I'll just try it and see what happens!

Thanks so much for the insight!

ja

#112 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

Oh, hmm okay I guess I just misunderstood the app possibilities :grin: Even if I can't "see" the receiver over iPad's 3G, I can still schedule recordings over 3G?? Not sure that makes much sense to me, but again I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night either... Guess I'll just try it and see what happens!

Thanks so much for the insight!

ja

I believe the scheduling happens through the satellite signal and is a one way transmission. Even if your receiver isn't networked (like my DIRECTiVo) you can still schedule recordings from the app. You can even schedule recordings from DIRECTV's website and the older iPhone app.

All of the remote control functions and viewing the playlist use your home network. Unlike the sat link, it allows two-way communication.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#113 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:19 PM

App continues to work nicely, though it doesn't find my HR24. In the settings menu, the HR24 is listed (assume that information is coming down from my account information). But the HR24 has a red icon next to it rather than green.

I rebooted the HR24 on Saturday night when I normally reboot my receivers. Aside from that, any suggestions?
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

#114 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Do the following as I had to do it for one of my 3 receivers and now it works.

For that specific box:
Menu
Setup
System Setup
Network Setup
Advanced Setup

Once you do that it will give you the IP address for that unit. Go to your settings in the iPad app and the receiver with the red dot under receiver control click the blue dot with the greater than arrow inside. Manually enter the IP address and validate.
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#115 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

While manually entering the IP address might work and solve the problem, I shouldn't have to do that. Certainly didn't have to for the HR20 and HR22. Is DirecTV monitoring this thread? This is a good opportunity to try to isolate the problem and try to fix the issue (rather than with a work around).

I wonder if it might be an issue with the App or an issue with the HR2x software on the HR24.

All my DVRs are connected via DECA so it shouldn't be an issue of being able to reach two but not the third.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

#116 OFFLINE   996911

Go Pack!

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationTobacco Road, NC

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Well, I didn't write the app and I am sure after it has a few updates it will be better and up to the standards of everybody here. All I tried was to go out of my way to offer help so you could have the functionality you asked for. So, did you manually add the IP address and get it working?

Wasn't this app just released like a week ago? Sure, it's be nice to be perfect out of the box but with a little time I think all the issues that our brought to their attention will be worked on. Did you forward your issues to D* as well?
Cheers,
Ray Johnson

#117 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

I have not manually configured the IP address. Thanks for the suggestion, but I should have been more clear in my original post, I am less interested in getting it to work than I am in helping resolve the broader issue. As this is the issue/discussion thread, I expect that this is where DirecTV personnel would be watching for problem descriptions as they have done in the past for other features or products.

Full Setup

#118 OFFLINE   bodosom

bodosom

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

While manually entering the IP address might work and solve the problem, I shouldn't have to do that.

True. As long you checked permissions and the HR24 has External Access:Allow it should be good to go. My HR24/500 works like a champ.

#119 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

My H24 did not appear until I entered its IP address manually in the app settings. I assumed it was because it was powered off. Of course several of my HR20's are also turned off and yet they appear in the app. My thought was that since the H24 is not a DVR. Turning it off actually "turns it off". I have not tried to use the app with the HR24 turned off.

-- RODNEY (Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk)

#120 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

Anyone try the DIRECTV app on OS 4.3 yet?

http://www.macworld....ipod_touch.html

#121 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

I've not used it a lot, but it's working fine in the guide and in my favorites columns.

#122 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:51 PM

I've not used it a lot, but it's working fine in the guide and in my favorites columns.

Same here. All seems cool on 4.3

#123 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

No issues with iOS 4.3 so far.

Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#124 OFFLINE   philslc

philslc

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

It seems to be working ok so far.

Phil
HR20-100

#125 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

V 1.0.8 is in the App Store. Lists OS 4.3 compatibility and stability as changes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...