Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HDMI 1.4, Whole Home DVR and sharing Internet connections

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eeandtee

eeandtee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

I am having Directv Whole Home installed shortly. I have a brand new Panasonic TC-P54VT25 which will be hooked up to the new DVR.

My question is this: Can I use a HDMI 1.4 cable to connect my hr24 to the TV and use the connection to give my TV access to the Internet? My understanding is that HDMI 1.4 can also function as an ethernet cable. If there is Internet flowing to the DVR (through the DECA) then can I use the DVR's Internet for the TV as well?

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

No, the HR series will not provide that type of connectivity from the HDMI port (even with an HDMI 1.4 cable.)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

I am having Directv Whole Home installed shortly. I have a brand new Panasonic TC-P54VT25 which will be hooked up to the new DVR.

My question is this: Can I use a HDMI 1.4 cable to connect my hr24 to the TV and use the connection to give my TV access to the Internet? My understanding is that HDMI 1.4 can also function as an ethernet cable. If there is Internet flowing to the DVR (through the DECA) then can I use the DVR's Internet for the TV as well?

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks

No, the HD DVR's won't pass through an ethernet connection via the HDMI port. Your TV will need it's own ethernet connection, if it's like my Samsung either a hardwire connection or a wireless USB adapter.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   eeandtee

eeandtee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

That stinks.

Ya think my installer would be willing to run Ethernet cable for me from my router (in my bedroom) to my TV in the living room? He's already running the Directv cable from the DVR in the bedroom to the living room...

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

What you could do, is put a 2 way splitter before the DVR, run one coax to the dvr and the other coax to a DECA module. THen plug the deca modules ethernet port into your TV's, then you could access the internet functions of your TV, assuming elsewhere you have your DECA coax network plugged into your internet router/modem with a Cinema connection kit.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   eeandtee

eeandtee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:04 PM

Thanks guys for the response. I appreciate it.

#7 OFFLINE   eeandtee

eeandtee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

What you could do, is put a 2 way splitter before the DVR, run one coax to the dvr and the other coax to a DECA module. THen plug the deca modules ethernet port into your TV's, then you could access the internet functions of your TV, assuming elsewhere you have your DECA coax network plugged into your internet router/modem with a Cinema connection kit.

I don't understand this...?

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

Split the coax behind the DVR. Add a coax to ethernet adapter (deca module) between the coax and your tv. I cant draw those nice diagrams others do on here, but here is the basic idea:

2 way splitter port 1-> DVR
2 way splitter port 2-> DECA module -> ethernet to TV

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#9 OFFLINE   eeandtee

eeandtee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

Okay. I think I understand. But doesn't the coax going into the DVR need to go through the DECA? Or am I misunderstanding the WHDVR setup?

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:17 PM

Well, yes, if the DVR is a pre-24 model. The 24 models have the DECA built in. So yes, if your DVR is an older one, it would also need a deca module, and you would then have two deca modules on one splitter.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Okay. I think I understand. But doesn't the coax going into the DVR need to go through the DECA? Or am I misunderstanding the WHDVR setup?

Yes, the coax for the DVR goes through a DECA unless its an HR24. Each receiver needs a DECA box, then you have one for the Internet Connection. If any of your boxes are 24s, DECA is built in.

#12 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Split the coax behind the DVR. Add a coax to ethernet adapter (deca module) between the coax and your tv. I cant draw those nice diagrams others do on here, but here is the basic idea:

2 way splitter port 1-> DVR
2 way splitter port 2-> DECA module -> ethernet to TV

I am having Directv Whole Home installed shortly.

eeandtee -- What Davenlr suggested isn't anything that D* will install for you. It's a custom type of setup that you would have to install yourself. If you're not comfortable with installing/supporting your setup then shy away. Hire someone to run ethernet cable if you're not comfortable (and no, this isn't something the D* tech will do for you either.)
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#13 OFFLINE   eeandtee

eeandtee

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:21 PM

Ok guys. I think I got it now. Thanks. I appreciate it.

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

To hook it up yourself, you would need:
1 - 2 way green label splitter
1 - DECA module and power supply
1 - Coax jumper from splitter to HR24
1 - Coax jumper from splitter to DECA module
1 - ethernet cable from DECA to your TV

D* installer *might* give you one, but more than likely you will have to buy it from Solidsignal.com or another local D* dealer.

#15 OFFLINE   MetalMarine

MetalMarine

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

I posted this in another thread named Getting internet to your ps3 or xbox using SWiM. and it will work for your tv aswell. You must have internet going to your SWiM system for this to work.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=190283

Posted Image

offer your installer a few bucks and he will be glad to give you the parts and set it up for you aswell. :)

Edited by MetalMarine, 27 February 2011 - 08:42 PM.

H24-100 w/ am21
HR24-100 w/ am21
HR24-200 w/ am21
HR24-500 w/ am21
SWiM 5 LNB

Also have PS3 connected through the SWiM network to stream internet to it. Works great. no problems gaming or video chatting.

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

offer your installer a few bucks and he will be glad to give you the parts and set it up for you aswell.

YMMV

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...