Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Denon AVR 2310CI and CFL bulbs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

I have a Denon AVR-2310CI and I noticed that whenever I turn on a light which has a CFL bulb (perhaps high initial current pull?), the display goes blank for a second and comes back. It is almost 100% reproducible, and I wanted to know if there is anything I can do to avoid this from happening.

Is there any device I can connect to the power strip to which I have connected the receiver, to perhaps mask the surge?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Most AVRs have a robust transformer and set of capacitors more than enough to provide enough power for a quick dip in voltage. Is it only the display that dims, but no interruption in sound? Does it have an IR receiver that might auto dim the display?? Kind of a strange occurrence. If you cover the AVR, and turn on the light, does it do the same thing? Tried different CFL bulb?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   lifeislife

lifeislife

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

Most AVRs have a robust transformer and set of capacitors more than enough to provide enough power for a quick dip in voltage. Is it only the display that dims, but no interruption in sound? Does it have an IR receiver that might auto dim the display?? Kind of a strange occurrence. If you cover the AVR, and turn on the light, does it do the same thing? Tried different CFL bulb?

No, display and sound are both getting blanked. It does this with multiple lights in the house, so it may not be a bulb issue as it may be more technology issue.

I am not sure about the IR receiver, will try covering the receiver and trying to turn on the light and see if it makes a difference.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

Two different bulbs in different places? That is bizarre. I could understand it if a on demand hot water heater or AC unit was kicking on, but for a light bulb to do this makes me wonder if you have a short circuit somewhere that arcs when you turn on the bulbs. I would first plug a volt meter into your socket where the AVR is plugged in. Watch the voltage when someone kicks on the light, and see if it drops. Since most current volt meters are digital, they might not be fast enough to register, so the alternative would be to plug an incandescent bulb lamp into that socket and see if it dims or goes out when turning on the light.

If not, it sounds like a possible ground issue, or a reversed hot/neutral in your outlet. You can buy a cheap tester at Home Depot/Lowes that plugs into the plug and has lights to indicate if its OK, reversed, no ground, etc.

If everything else checks out, I would just get a UPS rated for 2X the power draw of your AVR, and plug it into that. I personally have all my home theatre and network devices running off a UPS. Not only do the devices plugged into them last a lot longer, but you have time to shut things off gracefully during a power failure.

Good luck, and hope you figure it out.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall