Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have 2 DVRs - Both record same show/same time - Why?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrstmath

mrstmath

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

We are new customers, and have 2 DVRs and Whole Home DVR with one non-dvr HD receiver. On some of our series that we have set to record, they show two recordings simulatenously. I have cancelled series from either/both dvrs, but once I select one dvr to record a series it will simulatenously record on both DVRs. Help?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

One possibility would be that if you have the remote in RF mode, you could be setting a recording on both DVRs at the same time (using the single remote) without even realizing it. Otherwise, start by rebooting both boxes.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

One possibility would be that if you have the remote in RF mode, you could be setting a recording on both DVRs at the same time (using the single remote) without even realizing it. Otherwise, start by rebooting both boxes.

:confused: but the remotes are coded to the receiver six digit ID, so even using the same remote doesn't do this on my 3 receivers next to each other.

Rebooting is always a good first step.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,863 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

:confused: but the remotes are coded to the receiver six digit ID, so even using the same remote doesn't do this on my 3 receivers next to each other.

Rebooting is always a good first step.

He must have meant IR. I hope he meant IR....:lol:

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,863 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

We are new customers, and have 2 DVRs and Whole Home DVR with one non-dvr HD receiver. On some of our series that we have set to record, they show two recordings simulatenously. I have cancelled series from either/both dvrs, but once I select one dvr to record a series it will simulatenously record on both DVRs. Help?

Put your two HRs in RF mode. To do this, just hold down the "Info" button on the remote for a few seconds and you'll be taken to the System Info & Test page. Go to the Remote Control option on the left side of the page and you'll be led thru the process of putting your HR in RF mode. That will only allow your remote to control that one HR. Then do the same thing with the other HR.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

First, :welcome_s to DBSTalk!

Second, how close are your two DVRs? Right on top of each other? Same room?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

:confused: but the remotes are coded to the receiver six digit ID, so even using the same remote doesn't do this on my 3 receivers next to each other...

I also have 3 HR2xs in the same room, and understand that they might be coded that way, but I had to code mine myself, which means that another user's remotes just might not be coded that way. It is not that difficult for a remote to be placed into a universal mode where it controls more than one DVR at the same time. I've done it by accident. It is also possible to code two DVRs to the same remote without realizing it. I think I've done that as well.

Of course I meant RF, which is why I said RF. IR is typically not a problem unless the DVRs are in the same room. Since the OP has WHDVR, I assume that they are not in the same room.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

I also have 3 HR2xs in the same room, and understand that they might be coded that way, but I had to code mine myself, which means that another user's remotes just might not be coded that way. It is not that difficult for a remote to be placed into a universal mode where it controls more than one DVR at the same time. I've done it by accident. It is also possible to code two DVRs to the same remote without realizing it. I think I've done that as well.

Of course I meant RF, which is why I said RF. IR is typically not a problem unless the DVRs are in the same room. Since the OP has WHDVR, I assume that they are not in the same room.

You must not be using the DirecTV remotes. I can't see how an "RC" remote switched to RF can be coded to operate more than one receiver without using the slider at the top. I have three receivers all next to each other and never "mis-key", but do forget to move the slider. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   TEN89

TEN89

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:42 PM

being that your a new costomer and you have whole home DVR it could look like there both recording when there not. it just shoes on both receivers

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,863 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

being that your a new costomer and you have whole home DVR it could look like there both recording when there not. it just shoes on both receivers

You mean on the UPL? Hadn't considered that. Thought he was seeing the Record lights on the front panels. That'd be funny.....:lol:

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...