Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

noob question about DECA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   loucapo

loucapo

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

OK I may sound really dumb here but I don't see any talk about this. It seems like I can use the DECA to extend my network to a PC with no Ethernet (at least I think it does). I cannot find how this is done. Is this in fact possible? If so, how?

Thanks!

PS Just got my HD DVR Setup yesterday.

Edited by loucapo, 01 March 2011 - 08:48 AM.
typo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

OK I may sound really dumb here but I don't see any talk about this. It seems like I can use the DECA to extend my network to a PC with no Ethernet (at least I think it does). I cannot find how this is done. Is this in fact possible? If so, how?

Thanks!

PS Just got my HD DVR Setup today.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

While it can be done, it is not a supported setup by DirecTV. So, here's the little disclaimer ahead of time... If something goes wrong, DirecTV might not support you in trying to rectify the issue. Also, it can cause unpredictablity or issues with MRV and also your home network.

That being said, what you would want to do is connect a Broadband DECA in the room that does not have an available ethernet connection with the PC. If you have more than one component to connect, then you would hook a small switch to the Broadband DECA and your devices to the switch.

If there is only one coax in that room and it is currently being used by a receiver, you will need to either install a green label splitter (with one output going to the receiver and the other going to the Broadband DECA). Or, if the receiver is currently using a DECA (not an H24/HR24), you can place a switch between the DECA and the receiver and hook up your devices (to include the receiver) to the switch.

HTH,
Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,865 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

Yes, bottom line is it can be done. And I have done it. But it's the opposite of what you're supposed to do, and here's the reason. DECA is supposed to be separate from the rest of your network so it can deliver smooth video to your DVRs. If you add regular network traffic to that, you risk losing the smooth video.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...