Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting HD-DVR's to internet with MRV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fishepa

fishepa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

I have searched on here for awhile but I can't really find the exact answer to my question. A couple of months ago I had DTV come out to install the MRV service and also add a new HD-DVR to our home.

I have cable internet in the house upstairs which is next to one of the HD receivers (not DVR).

All I want to do is get my new HD-DVR on the internet. I already have a switch next to it that I hook up my TV and Xbox to, but when I connect the HD-DVR to it I do not get internet.

From what I understand obviously everything is not wired correctly for this to work.

To make matters more confusing the DECA box (the device with the ethernet) is connected to the other HD-DVR downstairs which I don't really care if it gets internet or not.

Is there an easy way to the the new HD-DVR on the internet that the internet switch is next to?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

You'll need to tell us more about what you have before we can help.
Which model receivers & where.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   fishepa

fishepa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

You'll need to tell us more about what you have before we can help.
Which model receivers & where.

The new model is the HR24-100 which is the one I would like to get on the internet.

The model receiver next to my internet connection is H24-200, not DVR.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

The new model is the HR24-100 which is the one I would like to get on the internet.

The model receiver next to my internet connection is H24-200, not DVR.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

You're going to need to add a broadband DECA which will bridge to your home network for internet access.
The H/HR24 have/use the internal DECA and if you connect an ethernet cable to them, you'll disable the DECA, which means losing MRV.

Posted Image
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   fishepa

fishepa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

You're going to need to add a broadband DECA which will bridge to your home network for internet access.
The H/HR24 have/use the internal DECA and if you connect an ethernet cable to them, you'll disable the DECA, which means losing MRV.

Posted Image

Thanks. Seems to me we should just be able to plug our boxes in directly to a switch and get on the internet, this is frustrating.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

Thanks. Seems to me we should just be able to plug our boxes in directly to a switch and get on the internet, this is frustrating.

Well "you could", and would need to have ethernet to every receiver.
If you didn't have 24s, then you wouldn't have the internal DECA networking.
The receivers weren't designed to be the bridging device between networks.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

By adding the Broadband DECA, as VOS mentioned, that will give ALL of your receivers access to the Internet. Basically, it allows you to feed Internet to all of your receivers by connecting only one device to your home network. The receivers then use the coax network to connect to that device.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall