Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV and Homenetwork

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hi All
I have an H23 and a HR24, LNB3 SWM and it works great. I "Broad Banded" both receivers with Cat 5 cable to my "2 WIRE" router and both receivers showed Network and Internet connected and worked OK.

After reading Doug Brott's "Enabling MRV using your Home Network" I sent the E-Mail per D. Brott's instructions and received a reply telling me what nice guy I am but I have to call 1-800 xx to get MRV.

I called DTV and started the process of finding someone that understood my request and thats not as easy as it sounds.

I told the CSR'S that many people have done what I'am asking and that should not be a problem.
I was told that my account has to show that the proper equipment was installed (DECCA) before MRV could be activated.

I told the CSR that thru DBSTALK I knew of many CAT5 systems turned on and working but I was at a dead end.

I was told that I would get a call back later this week and DTV would add a DECCA to my H23 and activate the MRV.

Sounds good to me but I still would like to know why Cat5 is not a option.

SSTV
since 94

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:29 AM

It should be an option, just be politely persistent.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   yankeevert

yankeevert

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:00 AM

I have 3 DVRs connected to my router by cat5.I called DTV and asked what I needed to get MRV. She put me on hold and then came back and said I was ok to go.I have 2 HR21s and one HR20.In less than 2 minutes the system was working.I would call back again. You will eventually get someone to hook you up.I got it on my first try.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hi All
I have an H23 and a HR24, LNB3 SWM and it works great. I "Broad Banded" both receivers with Cat 5 cable to my "2 WIRE" router and both receivers showed Network and Internet connected and worked OK.

After reading Doug Brott's "Enabling MRV using your Home Network" I sent the E-Mail per D. Brott's instructions and received a reply telling me what nice guy I am but I have to call 1-800 xx to get MRV.

I called DTV and started the process of finding someone that understood my request and thats not as easy as it sounds.

I told the CSR'S that many people have done what I'am asking and that should not be a problem.
I was told that my account has to show that the proper equipment was installed (DECCA) before MRV could be activated.

I told the CSR that thru DBSTALK I knew of many CAT5 systems turned on and working but I was at a dead end.

I was told that I would get a call back later this week and DTV would add a DECCA to my H23 and activate the MRV.

Sounds good to me but I still would like to know why Cat5 is not a option.

SSTV
since 94

Reply to the e-mail you received. It seems that sometimes the first reply is just the standard reply for those inquiring about MRV. In your reply, just reiterate that you want MRV enabled in the unsupported mode. You should get it that way.

You can also check your account on-line and see if the WHDVR service is available to be turned on. If you can do it that way, that's obviously the easiest way to take care of it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Spicoli

Spicoli

This is only a test...

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:34 AM

I went through 3 CSR's on Monday night including the tech dpt. and they couldn't get it to turn on. So I used the email link yesterday afternoon and just received an email back saying it was activated. I'll have to verify that when I get home tonight though.

Edited by Spicoli, 02 March 2011 - 11:56 AM.

-Jeff

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

I went through 3 CSR's on Monday night including the tech dpt. and I couldn't they couldn't get it to turn on. So I used the email link yesterday afternoon and just received an email back saying it was activated. I'll have to verify that when I get home tonight though.

Yup. E-mail is the best way to get this done now.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hi All
Thanks for all the replies. The CSR said that the H23 Decca would be no charge, I think I will go with the Decca.

SSTV
since 94

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hi All
Thanks for all the replies. The CSR said that the H23 Decca would be no charge, I think I will go with the Decca.

SSTV
since 94

Just be aware that if you decide to go with using DECA on the H23 and the internal DECA on the HR24, you will not have Internet access for the receivers unless you also hook up a Broadband DECA. This would require another coax connected to the SWM splitter (you could just split the cable behind one of the receivers) and you would also connect the BB DECA to a ethernet cable that goes back to your router.

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Just be aware that if you decide to go with using DECA on the H23 and the internal DECA on the HR24, you will not have Internet access for the receivers unless you also hook up a Broadband DECA. This would require another coax connected to the SWM splitter (you could just split the cable behind one of the receivers) and you would also connect the BB DECA to a ethernet cable that goes back to your router.

- Merg

Merg is describing the Cinema Connection Kit http://support.direc...-connection-kit

When ordering Whole Home DVR, it should be requested and also noted on your order found in your Directv account.

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Merg is describing the Cinema Connection Kit http://support.direc...-connection-kit

When ordering Whole Home DVR, it should be requested and also noted on your order found in your Directv account.

It sounds like the OP is not really getting the official Whole Home DVR upgrade. I think the CSR is just shipping the OP a DECA since they have only a HR24 and H23 so they can use MRV.

If they want to get Internet access without ordering the WHDVR upgrade (which would be $199), the OP can order a Broadband DECA via ebay for about $20.

- Merg

#11 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

It sounds like the OP is not really getting the official Whole Home DVR upgrade. I think the CSR is just shipping the OP a DECA since they have only a HR24 and H23 so they can use MRV.

If they want to get Internet access without ordering the WHDVR upgrade (which would be $199), the OP can order a Broadband DECA via ebay for about $20.

- Merg

Understood; DIY instructions would be necessary.

I was offering its proper name, just in case it wasn't DIY. :grin:

#12 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:37 AM

- Merg

Hi All
Merg is correct, no internet. I tried the internet thing and did not use it enough to justify the hookup. Hooking up a deca to the H23 is very straight
forward and I have reset the HR24 to turn its deca back on so everything should be good to go.

SSTV

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

Hi All
Merg is correct, no internet. I tried the internet thing and did not use it enough to justify the hookup. Hooking up a deca to the H23 is very straight
forward and I have reset the HR24 to turn its deca back on so everything should be good to go.

SSTV

Just to let you know of some of the benefits of connecting to the Internet/home network are:

- Ordering PPV via remote without the need of a phone line connected
- TV Apps
- VOD
- MediaShare
- DirecTV2PC app

If none of that interests you, then you'll be fine without the BB DECA.

- Merg

#14 OFFLINE   poppagene

poppagene

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hi All

SSTV

Just to let you know of some of the benefits of connecting to the Internet/home network are:

- Ordering PPV via remote without the need of a phone line connected
- TV Apps
- VOD
- MediaShare
- DirecTV2PC app

If none of that interests you, then you'll be fine without the BB DECA.

- Merg

Or now that YOu've got the whole home dvr on your account you can unplug the deca and go back to connecting via Cat5 to your 2wire router. Set up networking with static ips and you're good to go.

#15 OFFLINE   sstv

sstv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

Hi All
The DECA went from free to $50 when DTV called back. I said thanks but no thanks and the CSR said my system could be activated if I should change my mind.

I rehooked up the CAT5 cables to the "2 WIRE" router, called DTV and told them to turn it on and now everything is working just great. It took awhile but its worth it.

SSTV
since 94

Protected By... spam firewall...And...