Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Broadband Adapter Slowing Down The Internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   desertman

desertman

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

I got yesterday hooked up to DirecTV. I have one HR24-200 DVR and a DECA broadband adapter. The broadband adapter is connected via cable to my router.

The broadband adapter activity (I have put some movies onto the download list) seems to slow down big time my general internet connection. I have usually download speeds between 4 and 7 Mb/s (on speedtest.net); with the broadband adapter connected this slows down to less than 0.5 Mb/s which means that I have to wait long times for every web site to load and i. e. using Skype is completely impossible.

Giving the broadband adapter in my router the lowest streaming priority and the other connected computers the highest streaming priority does not make any difference - when the adapter is connected my internet is slow, when the adapter is disconnected my internet is fast.

Are there possibilities to reduce the streaming speed of the adapter to, let's say, less than 1 Mb/s? Or, is it possible to restrict any downloading to certain times? I do not care if it takes longer to download movies but I do need a fast internet for my work.

If slowing down or restricting the downloads is not possible - is it ok to simply disconnect the adapter during the day and have it just during the night connected? Would that have any other implications than interrupting the downloads?

I'm also wondering wether the DVR has to be switched on for the downloads to work. I had put some movies on the list for downloads last night and switched everything off some hours later, and now - about 10 hours later - only one movie has been downloaded.

Thanks - desertman

Edited by desertman, 02 March 2011 - 10:34 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

I don't know of any way from the DirecTV end to limit internet speed, "other than" not loading up the list of movies you've asked it to download.
Maybe you simply need to delete them and only load them up at night when you don't need to use the internet.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

Any relief is going to have to come from QoS settings on your router. What make and model is it?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...