Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bill and Autopay

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

This is ridiculous. They charged my credit card for my monthly payment two days ago, yet my BILL is still not available to view. Is that not a little backwards? If I cancel paperless billing, will I get a paper bill in the mail BEFORE they charge my credit card?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Since last fall, the email they send me every month has included an itemized listing of my charges. Didn't used to be that, but has been for me since September.

Granted that is on the same day they charge my card.

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Since last fall, the email they send me every month has included an itemized listing of my charges. Didn't used to be that, but has been for me since September.

Granted that is on the same day they charge my card.

Even if it was a the same day, that would be great. I usually get a email telling me my "bill is available for viewing" on their website, but its like two or three days AFTER they charge my card. In other words, they do not give you a chance to dispute any errors on the bill until AFTER they have your money, and then they will keep your money for a month by issuing a credit on NEXT months bill. They wont chargeback the error.

Now, I am not saying they are ripping me off. I was told two months ago, by two CSRs that if I had autobillpay, I could get free HD. Well, my package was SELECT. I even got two cards in the mail saying I now had free HD, but then they charged me for it anyway. When I called last month to question that, they said I had to have CHOICE or above (which neither CSR mentioned earlier - I even asked). Well, to get CHOICE over SELECT even though a person wouldnt watch the extra channels, costs the same as SELECT with paid HD, so not saving a thing. I ended up going to Choice Extra to get the free HD back, and they said they would credit me with $10 for the confusion. I got another card saying I had free HD :). Then on my recent transactions, I see even with Choice Extra, they charged me $10 for HD. Problem is, without being able to pull up and review my bill, I dont know if they issued the free HD credit before charging my credit card, or not.

I have just never seen a company that takes your money before telling you how much they are going to take, and then making you wait two or three days to find out what they charged you for.

Also makes it difficult, when viewing your bills, to keep track of your monthly TV expense, because they all say $0 (obviously, since they already took the money before posting the bill). That means you have to pull up each one, to see the amount charged in previous months.

It should just be a lot easier. Comcast sends me a bill two weeks before they charge me.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,055 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

I haven't paid any attention to when the statement was available vs. when they actually took the draw from my credit card. I will make sure to look.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#5 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

Even if it was a the same day, that would be great. I usually get a email telling me my "bill is available for viewing" on their website, but its like two or three days AFTER they charge my card. In other words, they do not give you a chance to dispute any errors on the bill until AFTER they have your money, and then they will keep your money for a month by issuing a credit on NEXT months bill. They wont chargeback the error.

Now, I am not saying they are ripping me off. I was told two months ago, by two CSRs that if I had autobillpay, I could get free HD. Well, my package was SELECT. I even got two cards in the mail saying I now had free HD, but then they charged me for it anyway. When I called last month to question that, they said I had to have CHOICE or above (which neither CSR mentioned earlier - I even asked). Well, to get CHOICE over SELECT even though a person wouldnt watch the extra channels, costs the same as SELECT with paid HD, so not saving a thing. I ended up going to Choice Extra to get the free HD back, and they said they would credit me with $10 for the confusion. I got another card saying I had free HD :). Then on my recent transactions, I see even with Choice Extra, they charged me $10 for HD. Problem is, without being able to pull up and review my bill, I dont know if they issued the free HD credit before charging my credit card, or not.

I have just never seen a company that takes your money before telling you how much they are going to take, and then making you wait two or three days to find out what they charged you for.

Also makes it difficult, when viewing your bills, to keep track of your monthly TV expense, because they all say $0 (obviously, since they already took the money before posting the bill). That means you have to pull up each one, to see the amount charged in previous months.

It should just be a lot easier. Comcast sends me a bill two weeks before they charge me.

Is it possible that subconsciously you have made the decision to switch to Xfinity? ;)

If you want to know how much you were charged in the current month in one step, just click on recent history. It shows the payment amount and the date it was charged. Checking prior months does require 2 steps. And if you are real concerned, keep a spread sheet and copy and paste the amount each month. I kept one for the first 24 months of service, mainly to ensure I received all the discounts I was promised. And I only had one billing error after that. They forgot to charge me for an NHL CI monthly installment, but then it was billed the day after my statement.

On the credit card comment, my card usually gets charged the day after I receive an email with the detailed bill. Still doesn't really give me time to review the bill, but if there is an error I can dispute the charge. Then I really won't have to pay for it until its resolved. Another option is to change your payment method to a bank account. Then you have plenty of time to look at the bill, prior to making any payment.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

This is ridiculous. They charged my credit card for my monthly payment two days ago, yet my BILL is still not available to view. Is that not a little backwards? If I cancel paperless billing, will I get a paper bill in the mail BEFORE they charge my credit card?

DirecTV is screwy like that with AutoPay and credit cards. I don't agree with that practice either. If the payment is due on a certain date, that is when the autopay should occur. You also should be able to see your bill prior to the payment being made.

Just as an aside, if you use AutoPay with a bank account, they do wait until the due date to make the withdrawl.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Agreed... but at least for me it hasn't been a huge gap in time so it's been ok.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   mikefour77

mikefour77

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

Don't know if this would help, but what worked for me was logging into the website and making sure that my online account showed that I had 'gone paperless' (select 'Go Paperless' under the My Account selections).

Once that was selected, I started to receive an online statement directly to my email on the due date which is the same day they charge my credit card. Now I get these nice statements and haven't had to log into the web site again.

Keep in mind I had been on auto pay for several months before I made this discovery, so it might be worth your while to check it out.

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

It shouldn't take more than a couple of days to view your bill online after the start of the bill cycle. You do get charged on the first day of the bill cycle.

#10 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 809 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:56 PM

some people don't like to do this, but if you auto pay with a debit card it comes out on the due date not on the day the bill is released.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#11 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I have AT&T and DIRECTV combined billing and a $5 discount on my DIRECTV services. I have autopay with AT&T and I do not get charged the same day my bill comes out. In fact, the bill isn't due for 30 days.

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

I have AT&T and DIRECTV combined billing and a $5 discount on my DIRECTV services. I have autopay with AT&T and I do not get charged the same day my bill comes out. In fact, the bill isn't due for 30 days.

ATT pays your bill for you and then bills you. So if you have auto pay you have it through ATT and not DIRECTV.

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

some people don't like to do this, but if you auto pay with a debit card it comes out on the due date not on the day the bill is released.

Actually it comes out 5 days prior to the due date; 15 days after the billing cycle for a debit card and bill due dates are 20.

#14 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

Last month my credit card was charged as usual but my email notification never came thru. A week later I received a letter from D* telling me that they had tried to send me an email informing that my bill was ready for viewing but could not. They said it was due to my email address having some kind of problem and to please update my email info at their website.
Well, I have not had any problem with my email account and my info was correct at the D* website. I was charged for my bill last night and the on-line info shows that happening but no bill to view or email about my bill this month either at least so far:confused:.Typically, I would see the email 2-3 days after the charge has occured.:nono2:

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Is it possible that subconsciously you have made the decision to switch to Xfinity? ;)

Nothing subconscious about it. I already have Xfinity, for various reasons :)

#16 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

Nothing subconscious about it. I already have Xfinity, for various reasons :)

I know from other posts that you have made, that you have both. And that you are trying to decide which one you should drop. It's just that its starting to sound like you may have already made that decision.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Im not even thinking about dropping either one. Dont have to worry about that until 1/2012 when Xfinitys promotional rate expires and I have to compare the two $ for $ vs channels I watch. Right now, Im not worried about it. I was just confused with this billing method. Ive never seen one like it before, from any of the companies I pay monthly fees to.

#18 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

I don't have a problem with the immediate charge but if a mistake is made that DirecTV acknowledges an immediate refund needs to be made. When NFL Sunday ticket was added to my fathers account without his consent it took him two full months to get his money back. That was just wrong. Does DirecTV have a cash flow initiative to look better to their investors?
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

#19 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

Im not even thinking about dropping either one. Dont have to worry about that until 1/2012 when Xfinitys promotional rate expires and I have to compare the two $ for $ vs channels I watch. Right now, Im not worried about it. I was just confused with this billing method. Ive never seen one like it before, from any of the companies I pay monthly fees to.

I didn't say you were dropping them now, but you are sizing them the two of them up. You mentioned that you couldn't recommend DIRECTV over Xfinity to your boss. And what seem to be minor annoyances, have become "ridiculous". That's why I said "subconsciously" you may have already made up your mind.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#20 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

I'm enroll on the auto pay and no papers, the thin is that when I get my bill is payed in full right away before they take my money from my debit card. I have don this for about a year now, and works for me and D* that allways get the money before is due. I get my disable check the third wed. of the months, that is the reson that I pay the bill before the due day.
Marquitos

spam firewall