Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI Matrix Switch Recommendations?

swm

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Plasman

Plasman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

I've got my HR21's in an equipment closet and 22 Ga HDMI cables going out to 3 TV's. Everything works great but now I'd like to add an HTPC and Blu Ray player into the mix. Currently I'm manually swapping HDMI feeds when I use the Blu Ray or HTPC but that is getting old. I'm looking for a good HDMI 4x4 switch. I don't necessarily need CAT5/6 compatibility although I have CAT6 already run to all locations in case I want to go that route in the future.

I tried the Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix which is rather inexpensive but it yielded purple tinged video without sound from the HR21's. They replaced the switch but still no go.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a switch to get? I'm thinking about the Gefen fast switching Matrix shown here: http://www.markertek.com/Routers-Switchers-DA's/HDMI-Switchers/Gefen-Inc/GTB-HDFST-444-WHITE.xhtml?GTB-HDFST-444-WE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:59 PM

I will say Gefen is known for quality products. Also it's odd that the monoprice switch would affect the PQ that much...
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:50 PM

I've had good luck with Kramer Tools stuff, but for the cost of their 4x4 HDMI matrix you might as well just buy a second TV. Would probably be good if you could find a used one...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:46 AM

I moved this to the HD receiver thread.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

I uses an Octava 4x1 HDMI/Toslink switch. It's a expensive but there are cheaper switches that do the same thing and are just as good (monoprice is a good place to start).

I have three DirecTV receivers and a Blu-Ray player connected as inputs and I have one HDMI cable to my TV and one Toslink to my A/V receiver.

When I select an activity on my remote (MX-810) it turns everything on and sets the switch to the right input and I never have to change the inputs on the A/V receiver or TV.

I find this is the best option for me and with the universal remote the operation is completely transparent to my family.

My 3.34¢ FWIW. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm currently using a Binary 4x4 Matrix switch which I purchased from a local A/V dealer. Works great - no problems when switching from one input to the next (HDMI doesn't drop out like some switches when 2 TV's share the same source). Interfaced easily with my universal remote, making it seamless to use. Unfortunately, Snap AV does not sell to consumers only dealers. So you'll have to reach out to your local A/V dealer or try ebay. Here the link for more info.

http://www.snapav.co...10-HDMATRIX-4x4
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#7 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 591 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

I've got my HR21's in an equipment closet and 22 Ga HDMI cables going out to 3 TV's. Everything works great but now I'd like to add an HTPC and Blu Ray player into the mix. Currently I'm manually swapping HDMI feeds when I use the Blu Ray or HTPC but that is getting old. I'm looking for a good HDMI 4x4 switch. I don't necessarily need CAT5/6 compatibility although I have CAT6 already run to all locations in case I want to go that route in the future.

I tried the Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix which is rather inexpensive but it yielded purple tinged video without sound from the HR21's. They replaced the switch but still no go.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a switch to get? I'm thinking about the Gefen fast switching Matrix shown here: http://www.markertek.com/Routers-Switchers-DA's/HDMI-Switchers/Gefen-Inc/GTB-HDFST-444-WHITE.xhtml?GTB-HDFST-444-WE

I also had problems with the 4x4 HDMI Matrix and replaced it with a Monoprice 4x1 switch and a 4922 HDMI Splitter. I currently have 3 TVs connected with 30, 50 and 60 foot HDMI cables. The inputs are 2 HR21-700s and an HR10-250. Everything works great and the picture is perfect. I control the switch with a radio shack IR repeater using a universal remote.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x093d
DirecTV since 1997

#8 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

Haven't used it, but Parts Express has this one on sale right now. 4 inputs with 2 outputs and HDMI extender built in. IR controlled. Going for $85 through the end of April.

http://www.parts-exp...595&FTR=180-595

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Haven't used it, but Parts Express has this one on sale right now. 4 inputs with 2 outputs and HDMI extender built in. IR controlled. Going for $85 through the end of April.

http://www.parts-exp...595&FTR=180-595

That's a decent price. Much cheaper than my Octava would have been.

Mike

µß

#10 OFFLINE   rob5819

rob5819

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Sorry about your bad luck with the monoprice switch. I have one with an HR20, HR21, HR24, and PS3 as inputs. I use a couple different hdmi-over-cat5 solutions at the outputs and have had no problems at all. I know this doesn't help you, but figured I would post if other people want to give it a try.

#11 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

I use the Monoprice 4X2 Matrix switch with an HR20, PS3 and PC. Picture quality is perfect. If you've had two bad switches, maybe a second glance at the rest of your signal path is in order.

#12 OFFLINE   Shawnn

Shawnn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

I have used Binary 4x4 Matrix switch on a few projects. I'm a Snap AV re-seller if you need help getting one.

I have had problems with Gefan and HDCP errors when more than one TV is viewed.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

I will say Gefen is known for quality products. Also it's odd that the monoprice switch would affect the PQ that much...

Screwed up two perfectly good 20-700s with a Monoprice HDMI switch. Then when I called them I was told that they weren't compatible with D* HRs. Found out you need a powered HDMI switch if you're using HRs.

That price is kinda outrageous for an HDMI switch, by the way. You should be able to get a good one for a bit over a $100.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

Screwed up two perfectly good 20-700s with a Monoprice HDMI switch. Then when I called them I was told that they weren't compatible with D* HRs. Found out you need a powered HDMI switch if you're using HRs.

That price is kinda outrageous for an HDMI switch, by the way. You should be able to get a good one for a bit over a $100.

Rich

I'm using a powered 5x1 Monoprice switch with IR remote on HR20-700, HR21-100, and two Blu Ray players with no problems whatsoever. I've been using this switch for at least two years.

I just ordered a powered HDMI splitter from them and a 30' HDMI cable, so I can replace a 30' component cable running to the basement. I'm not sure which HR I'm going to put the splitter on, the HR20-700 or the HR21-100. Since the 700 has an eSATA on it, and I won't be watching any recordings in the basement, I think I'll put the splitter on the HR21-100 for news watching in the basement.

I'll report back on how well this combo works.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,148 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

I'm using a powered 5x1 Monoprice switch with IR remote on HR20-700, HR21-100, and two Blu Ray players with no problems whatsoever. I've been using this switch for at least two years.

I just ordered a powered HDMI splitter from them and a 30' HDMI cable, so I can replace a 30' component cable running to the basement. I'm not sure which HR I'm going to put the splitter on, the HR20-700 or the HR21-100. Since the 700 has an eSATA on it, and I won't be watching any recordings in the basement, I think I'll put the splitter on the HR21-100 for news watching in the basement.

Mine wasn't powered. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. I bought a new AV receiver that does it's own HDMI switching and that solved the problem.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

Mine wasn't powered. I'm pretty sure that was the problem. I bought a new AV receiver that does it's own HDMI switching and that solved the problem.

Rich

My Onkyo has two HDMI inputs, and I just run the 5x1 into one of them. That gives me 6 HDMI inputs, and I'm only using one of the three hdmi inputs on the HDTV. (my old hdtv had only one hdmi input, hence the switch.

Interestingly, the new TV has only one Component input, and it is strangely shared as a composite video input. I've not figured out how to actually use it in that configuration, however. My first attempt at using a component switch (with composite capabilities as well) failed miserably.:)

I'll be very interested to see how well the hdmi splitter (powered) works. The long component cables are barreled in two places and are quite large/heavy. I want to get rid of them. They are great cables, but way too bulky for the minor purpose they are dedicated to. (At 30', I also notice some dimming of the picture with component, and I think the HDMI cable will eliminate that issue, while hopefully not introducing any new ones.:)

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:29 AM

The powered HDMI Splitter (3D certified): PID 7522

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

The 30' HDMI cable: PID: 3963

(PID = Product ID)

The HDMI Splitter works perfectly, although it takes about 3-5 seconds longer to handshake than without the splitter. I'm using it on an HR21-100, feeding my 60" Sammy (6' cable), and a 26" Sanyo (basement 30' cable). I have tested this setup with both TVs on, and with either off, and all is well.

I have not tested the new spiltter at 1080p, but I expect it to work fine...although, I have no idea what will happen if both the Sammy (1080p) and the Sanyo (720p) are connected to my HR20-700 when it is outputting 1080p material. I'm guessing it won't work, as there are going to be two return handshaking signals, one saying 1080p is fine, and the other saying this TV doesn't support 1080p. (either that, or the splitter will lie, and say the connected devices both support 1080p, when in fact, they don't. I just haven't had time to test things yet. If the 720p TV is turned off, I expect 1080p to the Sammy will be fine. I just confirmed that with the 720p TV off, the Sammy continues to support 1080p/24 just fine

The powered HDMI splitter is about $50, and the cable is $21. So far I got exactly what I wanted, replacing a long component cable run, as well the bulky 5 connections on the back of the DVR with a simple HDMI cable.

As a side note, I feed a set of 900 mHz wireless headphones from 6 different devices: HR20-700, HR21-100, Blue-Ray player, HD Player, Ipod Touch, etc. I had been using a cheap manual component switch from Wally World, stacked with an old 3 port audio switch I had laying around the basement. The cheap switch has lousy contacts, and on two different models, I kept getting intermittent audio in the left channel.

I replaced the Wally World switch with this:

and for the same money I got a remotely controlled switch. No more channel dropping! It should be noted, I'm only using these switches for audio, so I can listen outdoors with the wireless headphones.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#18 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

...I replaced the Wally World switch with this:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2....

I have one of those; it works flawlessly. Have you been able to determine exactly where the IR receiver is on that box? I'm trying to add it to my IR repeater without a lot of luck.

BTW, monoprice has 4x2 HDMI switchers that support 12 bit, 3D, and 1080p24 for much less than $100. This one:

is $74.50.

What worries me about HDMI switchers is whether they support the 1-255 or 16-235 luminance quantization scheme, or both, or if they will have trouble being compatible with all equipment because of this. I assume it is not an issue and that whatever scheme is on the input side will output transparently, but there really is no way to know.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#19 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

I have one of those; it works flawlessly. Have you been able to determine exactly where the IR receiver is on that box? I'm trying to add it to my IR repeater without a lot of luck.

BTW, monoprice has 4x2 HDMI switchers that support 12 bit, 3D, and 1080p24 for much less than $100. This one:

is $74.50.

What worries me about HDMI switchers is whether they support the 1-255 or 16-235 luminance quantization scheme, or both, or if they will have trouble being compatible with all equipment because of this. I assume it is not an issue and that whatever scheme is on the input side will output transparently, but there really is no way to know.

I bought a swicher from Amazon with 3 imputs and a output,and a remote. I believe I payed under 20$ and it those t trick, no need for expencive units most of them are good and do the job.
Marquitos

#20 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

I've got the HDX-501 HDMI Switch from Monoprice and it works Great and the PQ is Excellent so I don't know why you have problems but mine is working as advertised.

This is what I bought..... http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swm

Protected By... spam firewall...And...