Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noisy fan on HR 24-100

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

My HR 24-100 suddenly has what sounds like a noisy internal fan.....either that or the hard drive is making a lot of noise. The device is working perfectly and I've run a system check and performed a reset on the device. Everything tests fine. Anyone else had this issue?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Now it's totally quiet again. Internal temp is 106 , so no temp issue. It's working perfectly, so I'm just going to ignore it.

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

I've heard the HR24 fans go into hyperdrive mode at times. They can be quite loud. They seem to have multiple speed and generally the super-fast (loud) speed goes away quickly.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,016 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Mine sounds like a small jet in the distance sometimes on start up from rebooting.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

That must be it, Doug. It's been totally quiet for a while now. Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

I got the same unit and no problems to report, I have this unit for around 6 months now.
Marquitos

#7 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:41 AM

My HR24 500 is quiet, but my HR24 100 seems to drop into hyperdrive and become noisy randomly each day. The device tests are all fine though and the internal temp is about 106. As long as the thing isn't going to catch fire, I can live with the noise. :)

#8 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

When I got home from work today, the DVR was quiet. I checked the internal temp and it was 143 degrees!!! What? It's never been above 109. How does it jump to 143?

The device is well ventilated. I decided to reboot it. The device went into a self imposed cooling down mode, and it only came up after it had cooled itself down to 120 degrees. The device continued to cool down and quickly went back to 109 degrees. It has been at that temp for several hours now.

Just as it was coming up, I called Directv to report these events. The CSR seemed totally unconcerned, and her view was that the device would sort itself out.

Has anyone seen anything like this? The CSR seemed to think that I was overreacting. My worry is what caused the jump in internal temperature? The DVR is sitting in a ventilated entertainment center in an air conditioned room. Nothing outside the box has changed.

I have to admit though that it has been quiet and cool at 109 degrees for several hours now.

My plan is to keep a close eye on the device. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

Sounds like the fan didnt kick on when it should have and the unit began to overheat.

#10 OFFLINE   Smoot

Smoot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:37 AM

When I got home from work today, the DVR was quiet. I checked the internal temp and it was 143 degrees!!! What? It's never been above 109. How does it jump to 143?

The device is well ventilated. I decided to reboot it. The device went into a self imposed cooling down mode, and it only came up after it had cooled itself down to 120 degrees. The device continued to cool down and quickly went back to 109 degrees. It has been at that temp for several hours now.

Just as it was coming up, I called Directv to report these events. The CSR seemed totally unconcerned, and her view was that the device would sort itself out.

Has anyone seen anything like this? The CSR seemed to think that I was overreacting. My worry is what caused the jump in internal temperature? The DVR is sitting in a ventilated entertainment center in an air conditioned room. Nothing outside the box has changed.

I have to admit though that it has been quiet and cool at 109 degrees for several hours now.

Has the fan continued to work? I got home yesterday, and my daughter told me to "fix the TV." The blue circle light was just spinning. After a a hard reboot, I had a blue screen saying that the internal temperature was like 145 deg F, above the max. internal working temperature of 140 deg F, and that it needed to cool down in order to function . . . so I unplugged it and waited. After it was cool to the touch, I plugged it back in and rebooted, and now I get nothing. No fan sound, no self-check, nothing. If I leave it plugged in, it gets quite hot.

I called Directv, and they are replacing the unit (but not until Tuesday, which really sucks on a free HBO/Cinemax weekend . . . sigh). Mine was an HR21-200. We'll see what I get. But I too had a well ventilated area, with no obstructions to the side vents at all and never a problem at all with heat in the past. So, keep a close eye on your unit, just in case.

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:29 AM

My HR24 500 is quiet, but my HR24 100 seems to drop into hyperdrive and become noisy randomly each day. The device tests are all fine though and the internal temp is about 106. As long as the thing isn't going to catch fire, I can live with the noise. :)

Hyperdrive is very hard for the HRs to regulate. The dilithium crystals might be breaking down. Beam me up, Scotty!.......:lol:

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:09 AM

Has the fan continued to work? I got home yesterday, and my daughter told me to "fix the TV." The blue circle light was just spinning. After a a hard reboot, I had a blue screen saying that the internal temperature was like 145 deg F, above the max. internal working temperature of 140 deg F, and that it needed to cool down in order to function . . . so I unplugged it and waited. After it was cool to the touch, I plugged it back in and rebooted, and now I get nothing. No fan sound, no self-check, nothing. If I leave it plugged in, it gets quite hot.

I called Directv, and they are replacing the unit (but not until Tuesday, which really sucks on a free HBO/Cinemax weekend . . . sigh). Mine was an HR21-200. We'll see what I get. But I too had a well ventilated area, with no obstructions to the side vents at all and never a problem at all with heat in the past. So, keep a close eye on your unit, just in case.

Ever since my HR24-100 performed its self cooling down process, the temp has been back to normal (106 to 109) for several days now. :)

#13 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

Based on my own testing hard drives start to fail the receiver's short SMART test around about 160 just to give you an idea on how hot you got.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Sounds like the fan didnt kick on when it should have and the unit began to overheat.

Having a process that regulates fan speed has its drawbacks as that implies that the process can fail on occasion, especially if it is a process running independently on the CPU (which is why a reboot will fix it).

Maybe it is better to just have a dumb fan that spins at the same speed all of the time; the only thing that can fail there is the fan bearing or the 12v supply. Of course that implies better cooling design so you don't need a 2-speed fan.

BTW, the "jet" sound description sounds very much like what an Intel 2500 server sounds like at startup, as it cycles its fans to top speed for about 20 seconds.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#15 OFFLINE   rkr0923

rkr0923

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:01 PM

Mine is super noisy, you can hear that thing working OT from time to time, think thats what causes my audio drops too. You can be watching something and out of no where you lose audio. Change channels and all is fine. On recorded shows when audio drops I have to rewind a bit and its fine.

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

Mine is super noisy, you can hear that thing working OT from time to time, think thats what causes my audio drops too. You can be watching something and out of no where you lose audio. Change channels and all is fine. On recorded shows when audio drops I have to rewind a bit and its fine.

Are you getting audio drops that are not accompanied by video stuttering or breakup? While common a few years ago, that is very uncommon as of late, and is usually not indicative of a reception issue. Audio drops (usually with video issues as well) can be from a number of sources, including a faulty HDD, but the noise issue is probably a separate issue (which does not mean the HDD is not at fault, of course).
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   kelli902

kelli902

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

The fan on my HR-24-100 runs all the time. I turn off unit but still runs. It is loud enough I have to unplug it at night time. I do not remember it running like this in the begining. I worry it will over heat. I am not tech savy and don't know how to check temp or anything. Need to know if this is normal. It does this even when not recording.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

The fan on my HR-24-100 runs all the time. I turn off unit but still runs. It is loud enough I have to unplug it at night time. I do not remember it running like this in the begining. I worry it will over heat. I am not tech savy and don't know how to check temp or anything. Need to know if this is normal. It does this even when not recording.

I can't help you much. But I can tell you that I have a 24-500 in my bedroom and it is very quiet, as is the good old 20-700 on the shelf below it. I can tell you that it's not normal for the fan on your 24 to be that noisy.

The fans on all the HRs will run when you put the unit in standby, that's normal. I don't know if the 24s have a control that shuts the fan down and turns it on when needed.

In any event, the 24's fan shouldn't be so loud that it annoys you.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   MikeS.

MikeS.

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

My HR-24 started making fan noise about 2 months ago. Tonight I noticed a small red light flashing on the front and switched to that box from another. The screen said the temp was at 147 and the system had shut down until it reached 120* It has been running about 109* since then.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

My HR-24 started making fan noise about 2 months ago. Tonight I noticed a small red light flashing on the front and switched to that box from another. The screen said the temp was at 147 and the system had shut down until it reached 120* It has been running about 109* since then.

I would think the fan shut down completely and caused you to get the high temp reading. We've seen a couple reports on threads of the same thing happening. I believe the heat sensor is on the internal HDD, but that doesn't account for the fan being noisy.

Is it noisy when the temp is 109?

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...