Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote Controls.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

WHAT DON'T YOU LIKE ABOUT YOURS?

I'm in the market for a new remote control. My big requirement is macros. I have a couple that are 10 or 12 steps.

All universals have some compromises. We decide what we’ll live with to get what we want.

I want some real world info from real world users. So, what don’t you like about your remote?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Had a whole thing written up on how wonderful my Harmony's are then reread your post.

Aside from the price of them I just don't have any complaints. MY most steps are in the 6-7 range and I don't know if or what the max is on a Harmony.

I suppose another complaint about my 610 is the buttons, a DVR button has always got to be programed they do not have one like our Dish remotes do. So you have to decide which button makes most sense as a DVR button or program it to one of the LCD screen buttons and title it DVR

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Had a whole thing written up on how wonderful my Harmony's are then reread your post.

Aside from the price of them I just don't have any complaints. MY most steps are in the 6-7 range and I don't know if or what the max is on a Harmony.

I suppose another complaint about my 610 is the buttons, a DVR button has always got to be programed they do not have one like our Dish remotes do. So you have to decide which button makes most sense as a DVR button or program it to one of the LCD screen buttons and title it DVR

I thought the limit for a Harmony sequence it 5 steps?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

love my MX for macros.. you can program it to do just about anything.. tough getting the good software for it tho..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#5 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

I thought the limit for a Harmony sequence it 5 steps?

Mike

No it is more although I do not know how high it goes, looking through my menu looks like it may be limited to 9 devices, I just built a macro with 12 actions and 8 devices used. I'll D/L to the remote later and see if it works.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:12 AM

No it is more although I do not know how high it goes, looking through my menu looks like it may be limited to 9 devices, I just built a macro with 12 actions and 8 devices used. I'll D/L to the remote later and see if it works.

Are you talking about an Activity macro? I know they can be more than five steps.

I was refering to macros within an activity, what Logitech calls a sequence.

Mike

µß

#7 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

All universals have some compromises. We decide what we’ll live with to get what we want.

http://www.universal.../remotes/mx-880

MX-880. Best remote I have ever owned and between my parents and I we have 5 of them soon to be 6. I am even going to swap out my MX-980 in my media room for an 880.

The main compromise is that you can't have graphic icons on device pages. I have fixed that somewhat by using the Favorites pages for my DirecTV device pages so I can just have colored "buttons" for the Red, Green, Yellow & Blue from the DirecTV remotes.

Remote is very easy to use by feel. Some people don't like that it doesn't have a charing dock and instead uses a plug in cable. The nice thing is that the remote can be use while it's charging.

You can do anything you want with Macros. I have one that switches between local and all dvr playlists and one that turns captioning on and off. I also have one that allows .... gasp, press and hold of the List button for the ToDo list. :) Any button, anywhere can be a macro.

There is a learning curve, but once you understand the process, it becomes quite easy.

love my MX for macros.. you can program it to do just about anything.. tough getting the good software for it tho..

That won't be a problem for Mike. ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

http://www.universal.../remotes/mx-880

MX-880. Best remote I have ever owned and between my parents and I we have 5 of them soon to be 6. I am even going to swap out my MX-980 in my media room for an 880.

The main compromise is that you can't have graphic icons on device pages. I have fixed that somewhat by using the Favorites pages for my DirecTV device pages so I can just have colored "buttons" for the Red, Green, Yellow & Blue from the DirecTV remotes.

Remote is very easy to use by feel. Some people don't like that it doesn't have a charing dock and instead uses a plug in cable. The nice thing is that the remote can be use while it's charging.

You can do anything you want with Macros. I have one that switches between local and all dvr playlists and one that turns captioning on and off. I also have one that allows .... gasp, press and hold of the List button for the ToDo list. :) Any button, anywhere can be a macro.

There is a learning curve, but once you understand the process, it becomes quite easy.

That won't be a problem for Mike. ;)

The MX-880 is on my short list. I currently have MX-810 so I’m very familiar with using Favorites for custom buttons. All my activities are built that way. ;)

http://www.dbstalk.c...23&d=1251941568

I have buttons on page two for Menu Restart and CE. :)

Mike

µß

#9 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

I have never found a universal remote that had codes for all of the legacy equipment I own. Which is a real shame since I have an old Scott amp that had to be one of the first ever to have an IR remote and the volume buttons on the remote don't work any more.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

Here is the one I'm currently considering. It even has the color keys. It's Universal Remote Control's TRC-780

http://www.universal...remotes/trc-780

Mike

µß

#11 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

Have you looked at the Philips Pronto Line? I've got the TSU9400. Never got around to doing what I wanted with it but it can be customized to do just about anything.

#12 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:12 AM

Loving my iPad remote: http://www.iruleatho...ry/gallery.html

A ton of macro options. The graphics are awesome!

The only downfall, the setup software is a pain.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Loving my iPad remote: http://www.iruleatho...ry/gallery.html

A ton of macro options. The graphics are awesome!

The only downfall, the setup software is a pain.

Very cool yes. But, IMHO, kind of impractile. It seems very expensive to purchace any tablet to be used exclusively at a remote.

Not to mention it probably a bit too fragile for everyday use.

I don't want any remote that can't be used with one hand in any situation. That pretty much rules out any tablet in my case.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 31 March 2011 - 10:34 AM.
my grammar does sucking

µß

#14 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

Very cool yes. But, IMHO, kinda impractile. It seems very expensive to purchace any tablet to be used exclusively at a remote.

Not to mention it probably a bit too fragile for everyday use.

I don't want any remote that can't be used with one hand in any situation. That pretty much rules out any tablet in my case.

Mike

Yeah, you bring up good points. I just thought of one other bummer, just to adjust the volume requires three actions:

1. Press the home button
2. Slide to unlock the screen
3. Press the volume button within the app.

I always have my iPad next to my chair. The app was a perfect fit for me. I also like being able to integrate pictures of my kids within the app.

Toys are neat.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

Have you looked at the Philips Pronto Line? I've got the TSU9400. Never got around to doing what I wanted with it but it can be customized to do just about anything.

There pretty expensive (the cheapest being about $800) and the models currently available are not easily used one handed in a lot of situations.

Mike

µß

#16 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Yeah, you bring up good points. I just thought of one other bummer, just to adjust the volume requires three actions:

1. Press the home button
2. Slide to unlock the screen
3. Press the volume button within the app.

I always have my iPad next to my chair. The app was a perfect fit for me. I also like being able to integrate pictures of my kids within the app.

Toys are neat.

I use volume a lot and I suspect most people do. There has to be a better way to do that. :scratchin

Mike

µß

#17 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

There pretty expensive (the cheapest being about $800) and the models currently available are not easily used one handed in a lot of situations.

Mike

The one I've got is fine one handed for me at least. Yes, they are expensive. I've had a couple earlier Pronto's that were a bit cheaper and somewhat easier to program. They seem to be aiming at the professional installers nowadays.

#18 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

I use volume a lot and I suspect most people do. There has to be a better way to do that. :scratchin

Mike

My 3 step scenario is when my iPad is asleep. If it’s awake, it’s just one button push like any other remote. I guess I could always disable the auto-sleep function.

spam firewall