Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR23-700 won't play recorded shows, play fine over Whole-Home

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UMass03

UMass03

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

Just this evening I have found that shows recorded to my HR23-700 in the living room won't play. I just get a black screen and the status bar at the bottom. Shows do play over Whole-Home though with no issue.

Should I try a red button reset? My software version is 0x457, Wed 2/16, 2:22a (FWIW)
MY EQUIPMENT
HR23-700 HD DVR
HR24-100 HD
Samsung LNB40550
XBOX 360 Elite
Sony PS3

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

Yes, try a reset.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

I'd do the restart from the setup menu first.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

Just this evening I have found that shows recorded to my HR23-700 in the living room won't play. I just get a black screen and the status bar at the bottom. Shows do play over Whole-Home though with no issue.

Should I try a red button reset? My software version is 0x457, Wed 2/16, 2:22a (FWIW)

Try pulling the plug and letting it sit for a while. Then plug it back in and let it reboot.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

I'd do the restart from the setup menu first.

Doesn't sound like he can get there.:)

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:36 AM

Doesn't sound like he can get there.:)

Rich

Since it is displaying the status bar at the bottom, there's no reason to think it won't show the menu too. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:01 AM

It looks like another gentle reminder is in order....

If someone feels the need to restart their DVR there is a preferred order to attempt to correct issues.

1. Menu restart--the best way to restart your device. It's analogous to restarting your PC.
2. IF the menus/remote are unresponsive, then try a red button reset(little red button behind the access card door). This is analogous to hitting the reset button your pc, it isnt as graceful of a reboot.
3. Pull the plug, wait a bit, then plug back in. Should be used as a last resort. This can trash recordings on your drive because it just kills the thing right while its doing whatever its doing.

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,860 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:10 AM

If someone feels the need to restart their DVR there is a preferred order to attempt to correct issues.

1. Menu restart--the best way to restart your device. It's analogous to restarting your PC.
2. IF the menus/remote are unresponsive, then try a red button reset(little red button behind the access card door). This is analogous to hitting the reset button your pc, it isnt as graceful of a reboot.
3. Pull the plug, wait a bit, then plug back in. Should be used as a last resort. This can trash recordings on your drive because it just kills the thing right while its doing whatever its doing.

I would add the following, just for clarity:

If, while doing either a menu > reset, or an RBR (red button reset), you should wait until the box shuts down and all the lights go out, then and only then, pull the AC plug, if you think the plug needs to be pulled. This catches the box in its least vulnerable state, and will lessen the likelihood of corrupting any files.

In both cases, RBR and Menu Reset, always try to catch the receiver when it has fully (or as full as it gets) powered down, before pulling the AC plug. (and only pull the AC plug if it really is necessary. If you do pull the plug, let the box sit for 30 minutes, or in some strange cases, people have let it sit overnight, before plugging it back in. It's been pretty well established that letting it sit for just a few minutes is often not adequate.

Of course, there are cases where neither a Menu Reset, nor an RBR will work. In that case, you have to pull the plug and hope for the best.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   UMass03

UMass03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Will a menu restart wipe out what's on the DVR?
MY EQUIPMENT
HR23-700 HD DVR
HR24-100 HD
Samsung LNB40550
XBOX 360 Elite
Sony PS3

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

No, it is just like restarting your PC.
"Now if" a recording is corrupted, it will be removed during the self test as it reboots.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   UMass03

UMass03

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

No, it is just like restarting your PC.
"Now if" a recording is corrupted, it will be removed during the self test as it reboots.

Thanks! :D
MY EQUIPMENT
HR23-700 HD DVR
HR24-100 HD
Samsung LNB40550
XBOX 360 Elite
Sony PS3

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

WHen you perform a menu restart, there are 3 different choices on that screen...the 1st choice, restart receiver, is just a reboot, the other 2 are much more destructive. reset and the other one should only be used in extreme cases because you will lose shows, and SL's, etc....one of the choices returns it to the condition it came to you in

Protected By... spam firewall...And...