Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trouble cloning H15 DVR hard drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xrilander

xrilander

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi. I have a 2007 H15 DVR. The hard drive seemed to be failing, so I decided to replace it. I Googled the procedure and found holding down the rec and down arrow while booting would format the hard drive. I purchased an exact same size 160gb drive. The original was Seagate, I bought a Western Digital, brand new. Jumpers were set correctly, nothing. I get the welcome screen, almost there, and the diagnostics screen. Then it goes grey, nothing further happens. Funny thing is, I tried an old 40gb drive I had lying around, and it starts formatting every time! WTF? So I figure I`d clone the Seagate drive to the WD on my computer, sector by sector. It was successful. Installed it again, still nothing. I then put back the original, and it started formatting without any button holding. What gives? Why will any other hard drive work except the WD I just bought??? It tested good, and will work fine on any computer?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk!

Please verify your DVR model number. There is no "H15" model.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   xrilander

xrilander

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

r15-500

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

time to dump it

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,913 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

Interesting problem. I've done some limited drive shuffling on an R15-500 (but it's been a few years) without any issues. You might have a power supply problem on the R15 that is manifesting itself with the hard drive. Or maybe a poor solder joint on the main circuit board, or some other similarly unique problem that is manifesting itself as a drive problem.

If that's the case, then perhaps P Smith's advice is good. If you can wipe the new drive, then return it and get an exact match replacement, you might try that. But I'm not sure it would get you any further.

Oh, and this thread really should be in the SD section rather than the HD section. Perhaps one of the mods will move it for us.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:26 AM

Moving this to the SD Forum.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

Don't these Drives have to be formatted first?
Like with the D* software.

#8 OFFLINE   xrilander

xrilander

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

Yes, the drive is going back. I put the old one back in, formatted it, seems to be working fine now. Thanks everyone.

#9 OFFLINE   xrilander

xrilander

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:09 AM

Don't these Drives have to be formatted first?
Like with the D* software.

The DVR`s keep the operating system on a chip. You can install an unformatted hard drive, and the DVR automatically format it.

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Rather than letting the DVR try to figure out what's going on with the HDD, put your replacement drive in and start it up. When the message "running receiver diagnostic check" appears onscreen, press the SELECT button on the remote control. Be sure it is set to address 1 (the default) or the DVR will not recognize it. Pay attention-it doesn't last long!

You should get a special diagnostics menu which will allow you to test all aspects of the DVR including internal memory and the HDD. You can also choose to do a "quick format" (which won't work with a native drive) or a complete reformat which is what you want.

Let us know what happens!

PS: I did a complete reformat on my R15-300 last fall using this procedure and a bunch of problems (like the guide cache not working when the power failed) were mysteriously fixed. Plus, the unit was faster and much more reliable!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...