Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problem with PPV and Whole Home

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hi - I'm having a problem with PPV movies and my whole home setup. My whole home is setup via my lan (not DECA) - don't think that matters. Anyway, if I record on one of my DVRs and then try to watch the movie on my H21 I get an error message that says "Your TV does not support this programs content protection..." due to an HDMI issue - I don't recall the full error message. My H21 is setup via component - my 2 DVR are setup via HDMI. I suspect this is an issue with watching a PPV on a unit besides the one it is recorded on but just wanted to see if someone could confirm and if not if there were any ideas on what I could do to resolve the issue.

Thanks!
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) HR20-700, HDMI, Native on, Samsung HL-S6187W, Networked (wired), OTA via Stealthtenna
(1) R22-100, HDMI, Networked (wired), Native on, Samsung 32" LCD
(1) H21, HDMI, Networked (wired), LG 42" LCD
(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:23 AM

Turn on the TV that the PPV has been recorded on and try playing back the recording on the H21. You can also unplug the HDMI cable from the DVR in question. The issue is that the recording is on the DVR and sees that there is a HDMI cable connected to a TV, but the HDMI handshake is not occuring (as the TV in not on). Thus, due to HDCP, the recording will not play back.

This could kinda be looked at as a bug as the HDCP protection should be determined by the receiver that is performing the playback and not the serving receiver. If the resolution I posted above works, I would post this issue in the Issues thread in the HD-DVR forum.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

Turn on the TV that the PPV has been recorded on and try playing back the recording on the H21. You can also unplug the HDMI cable from the DVR in question. The issue is that the recording is on the DVR and sees that there is a HDMI cable connected to a TV, but the HDMI handshake is not occuring (as the TV in not on). Thus, due to HDCP, the recording will not play back.

This could kinda be looked at as a bug as the HDCP protection should be determined by the receiver that is performing the playback and not the serving receiver. If the resolution I posted above works, I would post this issue in the Issues thread in the HD-DVR forum.

- Merg

Thanks. Tried your suggestion but no success. I've also tried reauthorizing all receivers and RBR on the H21. The PPV was recorded on my HR20-700 and I can also play it on my R22, just not the H21. Interesting that the R22 is connected via HDM but the H21 is connected via component. I'm going to try to connect the H21 via HDMI and see if that works next.
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) HR20-700, HDMI, Native on, Samsung HL-S6187W, Networked (wired), OTA via Stealthtenna
(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#4 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thanks. Tried your suggestion but no success. I've also tried reauthorizing all receivers and RBR on the H21. The PPV was recorded on my HR20-700 and I can also play it on my R22, just not the H21. Interesting that the R22 is connected via HDM but the H21 is connected via component. I'm going to try to connect the H21 via HDMI and see if that works next.

Ok...so I connected the H21 with HDMI to the TV and it worked. So it isn't allowing playback via component but it is with HDMI which I guess means it has something to do with the video being "protected".

Unfortunately I have dual outputs from the H21 and am using the HDMI out to a DVI input on a computer monitor in my office and the component for the TV. At least now I know the issue and can connect via HDMI when I do want to watch PPV on this TV. Don't watch a lot of PPV, but at least now I know the problem.

I guess the question is - is this a bug or is this expected behavior. Seems as if the whole home solution should allow you to watch a purchased movie on any TV regardless of connection from the box to the TV.
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

I guess the question is - is this a bug or is this expected behavior. Seems as if the whole home solution should allow you to watch a purchased movie on any TV regardless of connection from the box to the TV.

Whole Home DVR doesn't exclude the copyright protection [as you found].
Why would it?
Just because one receiver is compliant, shouldn't change the playback everywhere.
You'll have the same problem with DirecTV2PC.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

Ok...so I connected the H21 with HDMI to the TV and it worked. So it isn't allowing playback via component but it is with HDMI which I guess means it has something to do with the video being "protected".

Unfortunately I have dual outputs from the H21 and am using the HDMI out to a DVI input on a computer monitor in my office and the component for the TV. At least now I know the issue and can connect via HDMI when I do want to watch PPV on this TV. Don't watch a lot of PPV, but at least now I know the problem.

Actually, I think what may be causing the problem is your HDMI to DVI connection on the H21.

I assume that when you are watching on the TV through component, that the DVI computer monitor is off? If this is the case, then the computer monitor is not doing the HDCP handshake. The H21 knows that is has an HDMI connection, but is not getting the HDCP handshake, thus the error message.

Try just disconnecting the HDMI cable from the H21 when you want to watch the PPV. While it is still moving cables, it should be less work than switching the component cables to HDMI.
DogLover

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:12 PM

Actually, I think what may be causing the problem is your HDMI to DVI connection on the H21.

I assume that when you are watching on the TV through component, that the DVI computer monitor is off? If this is the case, then the computer monitor is not doing the HDCP handshake. The H21 knows that is has an HDMI connection, but is not getting the HDCP handshake, thus the error message.

Try just disconnecting the HDMI cable from the H21 when you want to watch the PPV. While it is still moving cables, it should be less work than switching the component cables to HDMI.

Awesome - you nailed it. Disconnecting the HDMI from the H21 allowed playback! Thanks. Not perfect but I can definitely live with it!
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#8 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

Whole Home DVR doesn't exclude the copyright protection [as you found].
Why would it?
Just because one receiver is compliant, shouldn't change the playback everywhere.
You'll have the same problem with DirecTV2PC.

I wasn't sure which is why I asked the question. That said, I just tried it on DirecTV2PC and it played just fine. DogLover was accurate in that having the HDMI connected as a 2nd output was causing the problem.
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Yup. I would have said that as well, but just assumed that since you have the H21 hooked up via component that you weren't using the HDMI out on the H21. Well, I guess that's what I get! :)

See, I was right it was a handshake issue though... :lol:

- Merg

#10 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Yup. I would have said that as well, but just assumed that since you have the H21 hooked up via component that you weren't using the HDMI out on the H21. Well, I guess that's what I get! :)

See, I was right it was a handshake issue though... :lol:

- Merg

Nah - I didn't give all the details in my 1st post. I'm sure if I had you would have nailed it right away! :)
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

Nah - I didn't give all the details in my 1st post. I'm sure if I had you would have nailed it right away! :)

Glad of you to acknowledge that! :lol:

Would have been simple of me to ask though, too... :grin:

- Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...