Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Peaking dish

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike770

Mike770

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I would like to peak the dish. I have never touched the sat dish before so I am a total newb at this.

I have a Sl3 dish. I am getting 90s - 100 on 101. However, on 99 and 103 and am getting anywhere from 75 - 85 (more towards the lower number than higher.) . Do these number merit my attempt at peaking the dish? If so, is it difficult to do myself and How's it done or should i call D*.

Thanks.

Edited by Mike770, 07 March 2011 - 01:19 PM.
spelling

Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

very easy to do yourself

locate the 4 bolts holding the azel in place (2 hold az and 2 hold elevation) loosen them then you can adjust your cams (bolts with black rings with numbers on them) sound like your ele is ok, must be your az

rotate the cam bolt till you get 95's on your 99 and 103

im sure theres pictures if you do a search

#3 OFFLINE   Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

I would just do your left to right movement only move it one to two clicks at a time it doesn't take much to get way out of adjustment and just rember how many marks u turned it and Which way

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

If the 101 signals are that good, I'd make small tweaks to the tilt before messing with azimuth.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

First check and make sure your dish mount is not loose. the mono poles can slip or the roof plate can shift (Not likely) but it depends on how good it was installed to begin with.

If it Wiggels re-tighted it then check your signals before you adjust anything else, only because your going to be eye ball adjusting it :)
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

oh thats true, it might have the first gen monopoles that dont work, that have the 7/16" nuts on them and might hold, or might even break. Had numerous service calls for that style monopole. If you have those, throw them away!!!! get the new style with 1/2" nuts

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

oh thats true, it might have the first gen monopoles that dont work, that have the 7/16" nuts on them and might hold, or might even break. Had numerous service calls for that style monopole. If you have those, throw them away!!!! get the new style with 1/2" nuts

By the numbers I see a difference as 1/16" what me think is insignificant. Really, why is that second type better ?

#8 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

Mike770, before you do any adjustments, please post your signal strengths on all of the satellites, 99c and 99s, also 103ca, 103cb, and 103s especially.

#9 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

By the numbers I see a difference as 1/16" what me think is insignificant. Really, why is that second type better ?

the smaller bolts most of the time break before the clamp tightens to the inner monopole, the bolt just shears off. Its pretty easy to break the bolt off even with a small wrench. The 1/2" nut size bolts must be 5/16" i think, you have to try pretty hard to shear that bolt, that and the clamp actually works, the entire monopole is just stronger all around compared to the older type.

Somehow we ended up with some this last summer and all of a sudden i got 4 service calls out of no where, they were all broken bolts after a storm went through. Before that i maybe had 1 or 2 service calls every 3 months or so that i couldnt fix over the phone.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike770

Mike770

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

Mike770, before you do any adjustments, please post your signal strengths on all of the satellites, 99c and 99s, also 103ca, 103cb, and 103s especially.

I will post the numbers later on. Secondly, I checked the numbers more thoroughly and they do not appear as bad as the day before. However, I will let you guys decide whether peaking is necessary.

Thanks to all!

Edited by Mike770, 08 March 2011 - 09:11 AM.

Mike

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

I will post the numbers later on. Secondly, I checked the number more thoroughly and they do not appear as bad as the day before. However, I will let you guys decide whether peaking is necessary.

Thanks to all!

sounds like the dish mounts maybe loose :confused:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#12 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

I will post the numbers later on. Secondly, I checked the numbers more thoroughly and they do not appear as bad as the day before. However, I will let you guys decide whether peaking is necessary.

Thanks to all!

The reason I asked is because you didn't say which satellites the signal strength numbers come from. If they were from the spot beams, then they might be okay, but not so good if they are CONUS numbers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...