Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 13) 3/9/2011

public interest

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are your favorites? (154 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are your favorites?

1. Lauren Alaina (13 votes [8.44%])

Percentage of vote: 8.44%

2. Casey Abrams (28 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Ashthon Jones (2 votes [1.30%])

Percentage of vote: 1.30%

4. Paul McDonald (8 votes [5.19%])

Percentage of vote: 5.19%

5. Pia Toscano (17 votes [11.04%])

Percentage of vote: 11.04%

6. James Durbin (20 votes [12.99%])

Percentage of vote: 12.99%

7. Haley Reinhart (13 votes [8.44%])

Percentage of vote: 8.44%

8. Jacob Lusk (8 votes [5.19%])

9. Thia Megia (12 votes [7.79%])

Percentage of vote: 7.79%

10. Stefano Langone (5 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

11. Karen Rodriguez (4 votes [2.60%])

Percentage of vote: 2.60%

12. Scotty McCreery (16 votes [10.39%])

Percentage of vote: 10.39%

13. Naima Adedapo (8 votes [5.19%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:19 AM

OK folks .. I was debating whether or not to do this again this year or not. I decided I will, so here goes .. Who are your favorites this week?

Personally, my favorites were Pia, Scotty, James and Haley .. My least favorite last night? Ashton (surprise :P).

So who are your favorites?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   ticor

ticor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

Glad you did, I would have missed it otherwise

#3 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Those are my exact same top five as well but not in that order. I would place it as Pia, Casey, Lauren, James, and Scott.

Similar here too but in the following order:

1) James, really put it together, and also showed a very impressive, lyrical falsetto.

2) Casey, never boring, never a a bad note (unless on purpose), and a fountain of musical creativity.

Then a big drop off to...

3) Pia, another power ballad done well.

4) Scotty (so long as I close my eyes while he sings), the voice is simply amazing.

5) Naima, did her thing with passion and sang well.

6) Jacob, over the top even by Jacob standards; too much, but what pipes!

7) Haley (the yodeling was kind of cool and not everyone can do it). Showed a softer side without conjuring the inner sex kitten for a change. A little sleepy but it worked for me.

8) Lauren was kind of karaoke, but even when she's so-so she's good. I'm expecting much better from her next week.

9) Paul McD, let's face it, that was pretty bad. But Paul is pretty good so i can't demote him down among the ones to come. He can't afford another dud like this one though or he's in trouble.

Another BIG drop off here, to...

10) Thia Megia. Nice controlled start but bad up-tempo 2nd half (probably the producer's idea). She has plenty of potential but not much musical personality (to say the least).

11) Stafano, a good singer but he doesn't do anything at all for me. I just find him boring no matter how well he sings.

And now for the dismal duo:

12) Karen. Omg was that dull. Beauty pageant boring. Exposed a voice that isn't up to the competition too when she went up-range... thinly.

13) Ashthon. Ugh. Please let her be next to go. Every performance is just so desperate to impress, and yet she doesn't. It's all wannabe caliber output with no artistry whatsoever.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

Can I just say .. I am not a fan of Jacob. I never have got the Judges complete and total adoration.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Can I just say .. I am not a fan of Jacob. I never have got the Judges complete and total adoration.

I feel that way regarding James.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Lauren really nails that one genre. Interesting they're letting the performers stay in their narrow niches this long. By now in previous years you would have had a ton of blowups as they hit the wall on an uncomfortable song style.

I'd love to see them have real genre weeks: Rap, Alt/Rock, Acoustic AOR, Dance, Hard Rock, etc. Real viable contemporary radio/download material. Not "Barry Manilow Weak" or "Paul Anka Weak".

I love how glibly the powder-puff judges mention Shania and Faith Hill in the same breath as Lauren, as if she's destined for the same level of stardom. Uh, yeah, she's got everything alright. Including an extra 34 pounds and non-supermodel genes. Dismissing the incredibly perfect looks of those two superstars is like dismissing the iceberg in the Titanic's demise.

Now Gretchen Wilson, that's a much more realistic comparison. Walmart-checker looks can only take you so far.

Edited by Maruuk, 10 March 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

So why only rag on the girls' looks Maruuk?

Casey is a squat, hairy guy you'd see shopping (or working) at Walmart.

Jacob is a chubby balding guy (as you've said yourself) looking more like a janitor than an Idol.

Paul is a goofy little munchkin with ridiculously bright white teeth. Perfect for a small role in the Wizard of Oz maybe.

James is a strange, twitching, inappropriate, doofus. Walmart probably wouldn't even hire him.

Scotty is an awkward, gangling goofball with acne.

Why isn't any of that important to you? Why only harp on the girls looks. Even weirder is the fact that most anyone can plainly see that this season's girls are far and away "hotter" than this year's guys in the looks department.

Lauren is every bit as cute or cuter than Kelly Clarkson, and probably less heavy too. That didn't stop Kelly from having a very solid career and legions of fans. Nor will it/should it stop Lauren if she is determined to "make it" in the business and continues to grow musically.

#8 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:42 AM

Well, the right contestant definitely went home tonight.

Surprising to see no love for Stefano in the poll here. I thought it was just me...

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

So why only rag on the girls' looks Maruuk?

Casey is a squat, hairy guy you'd see shopping (or working) at Walmart.

Jacob is a chubby balding guy (as you've said yourself) looking more like a janitor than an Idol.

Paul is a goofy little munchkin with ridiculously bright white teeth. Perfect for a small role in the Wizard of Oz maybe.

James is a strange, twitching, inappropriate, doofus. Walmart probably wouldn't even hire him.

Scotty is an awkward, gangling goofball with acne.

Why isn't any of that important to you? Why only harp on the girls looks. Even weirder is the fact that most anyone can plainly see that this season's girls are far and away "hotter" than this year's guys in the looks department.

Lauren is every bit as cute or cuter than Kelly Clarkson, and probably less heavy too. That didn't stop Kelly from having a very solid career and legions of fans. Nor will it/should it stop Lauren if she is determined to "make it" in the business and continues to grow musically.

Maruuk lost credibility ranking females when he thought the weirdo below was hot.

Posted Image
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:20 AM

Good riddance to Ashton. Weak vocals, horrible song selection, the judges were just staring at her blankly in the horrific swan song performance. But seriously, we just lose one a week now? Good grief. Torture.

BTW, when did Adam Lambert go straight? Last time we saw him on some TV show he was wearing feathers and lipstick and kissing guys on stage. Maybe those fundamentalist church intervention camps really work!

#11 OFFLINE   rkr0923

rkr0923

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

Ditto, should of never had the 1st save.

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

BTW, when did Adam Lambert go straight? Last time we saw him on some TV show he was wearing feathers and lipstick and kissing guys on stage. Maybe those fundamentalist church intervention camps really work!

Last I checked, looks have nothing to do with orientation. Seriously .. let's not go there.

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

Ashton was the one to go .. we all knew it last week. Randy made a poor choice and I there were plenty of others who would have been a better pick than Ashton for the Top 13.

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

Well.

So now I've watched. So this is the season that is so much better than previous seasons. OK.

I guess I need to go to the audiologist. I thought Pia and Scotty were serviceably good. I sensed the spirit of real performers in them. Everyone else can pretty much get on the bus now as far as I'm concerned. They were either generic or out of tune.

I seem to recall the question being asked of me last season, did I think that I would buy a song from any of these performers. Well, I'd say that's a real stretch. Maybe after Autotune and a decent producer gets through with them, possibly, that is if I liked the song.

And let me say two more things just to get this off my chest... (1) I don't go for the lovefest especially from Ms. Lopez and Mr. Tyler. Judges judge. They don't just fawn over people. If they did, they would be called fawns. Be constructive in your criticism but CRITICIZE. Maybe these performances seem better in person, and if that's the case, the fawns judges need to sit in the green room and watch the show on television like the rest of us.

And (2) I'm glad I didn't watch the results show live. When I forwarded past anything that looked like a commercial, I ended up watching the whole thing in 11 minutes.

I know a lot of you love this show and it's not my intention to rain on your collective parade. So I'll try to keep the grumbles to a minimum. But for now... tell me again how this season is soooooo much better than last season?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

Maruuk lost credibility ranking females when he thought the weirdo below was hot.

Posted Image

To be fair, that is probably the worst picture of Siob. that I've ever seen :lol:, but you're right, she is a weird choice to be ranking #1 on the hotness scale. And Haley is fat with a big mouth?! Someone needs a new prescription :P

#16 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

Well.

So now I've watched. So this is the season that is so much better than previous seasons. OK.

Better than last year is the claim. Admittedly it's a low bar to clear. :grin:

I guess I need to go to the audiologist. I thought Pia and Scotty were serviceably good. I sensed the spirit of real performers in them. Everyone else can pretty much get on the bus now as far as I'm concerned. They were either generic or out of tune.

Pia is very good in her wheelhouse (power ballads). Scotty is very good in his wheelhouse (deep country). Jacob is very good in his wheelhouse (gospel). James is very good in his wheelhouse (rock). Paul is very good in his wheelhouse (singer/songwriter). Haley is good in her wheelhouse (expressive sexy). Naima is good in her wheelhouse (expressive artsy). Karen, Stefano, and Thia are ok but bland so far. They need to step it up or will be gone. Lauren Alaina didn't do anything special Weds night but keep watching, that girl is going to have a breakout night with the right song and her confidence back. There's no telling what Casey is capable of yet because he hasn't had a bad outing yet and is very musically creative.

Re: the wheelhouse factor, Maruuk actually posed the best question, which is; 'how will they do once outside their comfort zone?' It will be quite interesting to hear.

Admittedly, this week's performances (other than Casey and James who were excellent imo) were not too exciting. There could be various explanations for that, one being that the assigned producers over-produced their charges; that the new band, coaches, sound-system (vocals seemed weak against the band imo), etc. haven't yet meshed well with the singers; nerves were probably a factor too. And yes a couple of the singers still here may deserve to depart soon. I'm pretty sure that there are going to be some great moments yet to come this season. The talent is there but things are still sorting out.

And let me say two more things just to get this off my chest... (1) I don't go for the lovefest especially from Ms. Lopez and Mr. Tyler. Judges judge. They don't just fawn over people. If they did, they would be called fawns. Be constructive in your criticism but CRITICIZE. Maybe these performances seem better in person, and if that's the case, the fawns judges need to sit in the green room and watch the show on television like the rest of us.

Now you're on to something. Steven and Jennifer are suffering from Ellen DeGeneres Syndrome in the last two weeks. They hear what we are hearing but they don't want to be mean; they want to be supportive. That's all well and good to a point, but that point is reached when you have someone like Ashthon up on stage literally screeching out Diana Ross all out of tune, unmusical, desperate to be loved but not delivering anything worthy of being loved. The judges have gotten to know these people. Ashthon is probably a very nice girl in person. They don't want to shred and embarrass her in front of millions of people. But that doesn't mean that you pretend what she sang sounded good. It's a tough line the judges are walking but they do need to criticize when criticism is clearly called for. It can be done in a way which doesn't destroy the person in front of them. But at this point in the competition, Ashthon shouldn't have even still been there to create this problem. Her 'sing for your life' was bad, yet she was put through. Kendra was much more deserving imo.

The judges are going to have to be honest with Karen and Thia too pretty soon and it will be difficult (esp. on Jennifer) b/c both Thia and Karen seem like super nice young people, so you don't want to savage them publicly so that you can tell everyone that you were a suitably tough judge. And in their (karen & thia) defense, the former was apparently having trouble losing her voice, and the latter appeared to have been led astray by her producer with that tacky arrangement she was saddled with. So I would expect even those two to do much better next week. Hoping so anyway. These are very young people under tremendous pressure week to week. Not everyone is going to shine like a superstar each week, especially in the beginning of being on the big stage. I'm not trying to make excuses for this week; it was less than stellar for sure, but tune out at your own risk b/c there is still going to be some great stuff to come, imo.

And (2) I'm glad I didn't watch the results show live. When I forwarded past anything that looked like a commercial, I ended up watching the whole thing in 11 minutes.

+1, -1; I think it took me 10 minutes

I know a lot of you love this show and it's not my intention to rain on your collective parade. So I'll try to keep the grumbles to a minimum. But for now... tell me again how this season is soooooo much better than last season?

Better talent. You'll see/hear if you hang in there. :) One subpar night doesn't sink a whole season. And even this week we had James and Casey who were excellent imo.

I look for Lauren, James, Jacob, Pia, Paul, Scotty, and Casey (if he gets out of the hospital in time), to all have great outings next week.

I hope for Naima, Haley, Karen, Thia, and Stafano to do the same, but am less confident in them.

Edited by peak_reception, 11 March 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Goodbye Ashton. It was nice meeting you. You can sing - don't let anyone convince you differently - but you weren't as good as the others.

Right choice in my book. :D

I would be embarrassed if I had invited Berry Gordy to attend Ashton's Wed-nite performance. Wonder if he was there on Thursday ... were you there, Jimmy? :rolleyes:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#18 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

Voting aside, my 5 favorites, in no particular order, are James, Casey, Stefano, Thia and Naima. I'd add Jacob, but I'm not a huge fan of Barry White type singers in general. I think Pia's a lovely girl, but I honestly don't know what all the fuss is about her singing ability. She must sound a lot better in person, based on the judges always swooning after her performances. Just my .02.
/steve

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Ashton was the one to go .. we all knew it last week. Randy made a poor choice and I there were plenty of others who would have been a better pick than Ashton for the Top 13.

Ya. Poor Robbie Rosen sang his heart out on elimination night. He so deserved another shot, IMHO. If they wanted to save Ashton, they should have kept 14 that night and let America drop 2 this week.
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

peak_reception, thanks for the rebuttal. I'm going to try to ride along for a while and hopefully I'll develop some affection for these kids. And you know, I do get it — to Mr. Tyler and Ms. Lopez these are real people, not just objects for their amusement, and on top of which they're young people with feelings. I'm sensitive to that and I'd probably make a lousy AI judge if I were there face to face. But, at home and to some extent in the blogosphere, I'm free to be extraordinarily critical.

Personally I see no excuse for being out of tune, period. I get it, you're nervous. But at this point you have to have that under control. Does this show have vocal coaches for these kids? They should.

As for the rest of it, I guess another big thing is that popular music, the stuff that appeals to 18-year-olds, is not particularly my "wheelhouse." And I'm just too ingrained with the excellent performances of Eric Carmen, Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, and others to be incredibly impressed by what I saw last night.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...