Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 13) 3/9/2011

public interest

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are your favorites? (154 member(s) have cast votes)

Who are your favorites?

1. Lauren Alaina (13 votes [8.44%])

Percentage of vote: 8.44%

2. Casey Abrams (28 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Ashthon Jones (2 votes [1.30%])

Percentage of vote: 1.30%

4. Paul McDonald (8 votes [5.19%])

Percentage of vote: 5.19%

5. Pia Toscano (17 votes [11.04%])

Percentage of vote: 11.04%

6. James Durbin (20 votes [12.99%])

Percentage of vote: 12.99%

7. Haley Reinhart (13 votes [8.44%])

Percentage of vote: 8.44%

8. Jacob Lusk (8 votes [5.19%])

9. Thia Megia (12 votes [7.79%])

Percentage of vote: 7.79%

10. Stefano Langone (5 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

11. Karen Rodriguez (4 votes [2.60%])

Percentage of vote: 2.60%

12. Scotty McCreery (16 votes [10.39%])

Percentage of vote: 10.39%

13. Naima Adedapo (8 votes [5.19%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

Does this show have vocal coaches for these kids?

YEs, don't you remember "The Vocal Coach From Hell!" She would make just about anyone nervous. But the other ones are much nicer from what I hear, so that's good for the kids. The coach from hell was hilarious though; great entertainment! :grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

Pia and Naima I didnt like the song Pia sang

JACK,

#23 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

Pia and Haley are my favorite girls. Haley's rendition of "Blue" was better than LeAnn's. Pia blew me away with her "All By Myself"

Paul and Casey are the guys. Paul has a quirky voice and style about him, while Casey is just the opposite in the style department. Both are very talented.

I like Jacob too, but he seems a bit disoriented.

Naima: while I empathize with her, she lacks something.

James and Scotty could have gone home last week for all I care... and could have taken Karen with them.

Thia comes across as a shy girl, not wanting anybody to make a fuss over her... not even the band.

And what's with the tinny, low sound of late? Even when I put on the headsets, it's tinny.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#24 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

As for the rest of it, I guess another big thing is that popular music, the stuff that appeals to 18-year-olds, is not particularly my "wheelhouse." And I'm just too ingrained with the excellent performances of Eric Carmen, Paul McCartney, Garth Brooks, and others to be incredibly impressed by what I saw last night.

My wheelhouse is more in tune with your's too, but people like us don't (generally) buy records anymore, so the industry isn't that concerned with trying to serve us.

You do, however, mention Paul McCartney. Did you not think that Jame Durbin did justice to the McCartney song on Weds? I re-listened to it again just to be sure, and I have to say I think he did a fantastic job with it. James' personality doesn't excite me much but his musical talent does. I also re-listened to Casey Abrams and it confirmed for me what a fun, creative romp he had with that Joe Cocker cover of the Beatles song. How fun and different Casey is! The UnAmerican Idol ;)

Most of the contestants left have the potential for some 'Wow' performances to come. It will be fun to see who rises and who falls from week to week. Hopefully no more 'Bow Wow' performances. :grin:

#25 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

Pia and Haley are my favorite girls. Haley's rendition of "Blue" was better than LeAnn's. Pia blew me away with her "All By Myself"

Pia is very solid, very experienced, and very talented. Haley is growing on me every time I hear her. She takes chances, which I respect and admire, and her singing is actually quite solid even when she growls and purrs like a sexpot. It does seem genuine with her and not a put on, so it works (at least on men :grin:). I suspect that most women are not so favorably disposed to liking it and her though.

I like Jacob too, but he seems a bit disoriented.

Jacob is one-of-a-kind. His sanctified vocals are powerful and unique, but may not wear well over time except within his niche audience. Will he thrill or exhaust America over the coming weeks? Hard to tell. He does add a different dimension though, that's for sure.

Naima: while I empathize with her, she lacks something.

For me it's not a lacking, but rather an overdose of trying too hard. She wants to show America everything she's got in every single song she sings. So she over does it every time. If she pulls it back and shows a more relaxed approach I think it could pay very big dividends for her in terms of gaining a loyal following. Right now she's too much in her own head, forcing her vocals and stage antics, trying to be what she imagines a star should do and be. It's off-putting, at least for me. America would warm up to her a lot more if she would just relax and connect with the song she's singing and the audience before her instead of shooting for stardom at every opportunity. She needs a 'less is more' Kris Allen moment and approach where she releases the intensity for a change and just sings a quiet song beautifully. She can do that and she should imo. I hope she does because she does have a lot to offer if she would just relax for a change, and let the rest of us relax with her.

James and Scotty could have gone home last week for all I care... and could have taken Karen with them.

+2 out of 3 :grin: James is irritating but also a major talent imo.

Edited by peak_reception, 12 March 2011 - 01:00 AM.

#26 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

Agree ... James is a major talent, but I don't like him - and for all appearances, neither does Ryan.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#27 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

Agree ... James is a major talent, but I don't like him - and for all appearances, neither does Ryan.

Has Seacrest talked bad about the faker? (His Asperger's claim is BS IMO and in many others.)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#28 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

No way he'd be up there doing what he's doing and relating in that manner if he had clinical Asperger's and Tourette's as claimed. It's a dodge for sympathy. As is his "poverty" whine. Santa Cruz is full of shirkers and slackers living off welfare. And he has a thin, hard, unmusical quality to his vocals that greats Adam Lambert and Daughtry do not have.

I agree the general level of professionalism, singing skills and "slickness" has gone way up this year. Yet it's hard to find as many sympathetic performers, favorites as in other years. It's kind of like a contest made up of the cast from Glee.

#29 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

Regardless of James' angle I believe that the statement is "He was diagnosed with .. blah blah blah" and it seems the reference has been in the past. Now, the natural tendency is for people to believe that he actually has those conditions, but I don't recall him or anyone else actually saying that he does have them or not. Still, the way it is portrayed, that is what we want to think.

For me, I don't care. He can sing and other than watching him during the critique, I think he does a good job on stage, too.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#30 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

James seems to enjoy grandstanding in front of the cameras. He's done it twice (that I was able to notice) and in the company of Ryan both times.

That's the part of his personality I find distasteful, not any medical condition he has or has had. I don't think he's done anything medically-related.

While his singing voice makes for a great contestant, he shoots himself in the foot each time he resorts to attention-grabbing which only serves to peg him as rude, arrogant and childish.

I have to give him credit for great singing abilities, but that's it.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#31 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

James seems to enjoy grandstanding in front of the cameras. He's done it twice (that I was able to notice) and in the company of Ryan both times.

I've read that he's a real camera whore on some fan sites. One girl who made it to Hollywood said he did this a lot. And while waiting he was an obnoxious jerk asking where bars were near & how he's ready to get wasted, but when cameras came he was all buddy-buddy with others.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

I've read that he's a real camera whore on some fan sites. One girl who made it to Hollywood said he did this a lot. And while waiting he was an obnoxious jerk asking where bars were near & how he's ready to get wasted, but when cameras came he was all buddy-buddy with others.

Thanks ...your post reenforces my feeling.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#33 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Can I just say .. I am not a fan of Jacob. I never have got the Judges complete and total adoration.

I feel that way regarding James.

My take, James and Jacob will be the last two standing.

#34 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Thia is a real dark horse, she has an amazing voice, awesome emotional tone and extraordinary control. She could make it pretty deep.

Jacob is truly odd as a performer. He seems awesome at first blush, but his delivery borders on weird and he gets very sloppy with his intonation. He could very easily crash and burn the instant they take him out of his R&B genre sweet spot.

#35 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

Thia is a real dark horse, she has an amazing voice, awesome emotional tone and extraordinary control. She could make it pretty deep.

Jacob is truly odd as a performer. He seems awesome at first blush, but his delivery borders on weird and he gets very sloppy with his intonation. He could very easily crash and burn the instant they take him out of his R&B genre sweet spot.

Agree on both your points.

Thia needs to get the orchestra involved a little more than the back-up piano or guitar. This is not an a cappella contest. She's done two numbers that way; now's the time to cut the brass loose. She seems to have a knack for song selection, though. I hope she retains it.

Jacob seems to have a limited repertoire. If it's not exactly what he knows, he just flaps around the stage giving Paul a run for his money, and shreeking like a banshee.

I like them both even though I don't think either one will be working on their fatal flaw.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#36 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

Birth Year songs theme tonight.

#37 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

You see what they're doing, they're letting everybody stay in their one-trick-pony genre week after week. While that makes perfect sense since once they're idols, they'll do exactly the same thing, it does really hurt the sense of challenge and competition. Rednecks stay rednecks, R&Bers stay R&Bers, Broadway crooners stay shmaltzy, rockers keeping screaming.

Kinda boring frankly.

#38 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

Birth Year songs theme tonight.

Cool! Works for me!

#39 OFFLINE   peak_reception

peak_reception

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

You see what they're doing, they're letting everybody stay in their one-trick-pony genre week after week. While that makes perfect sense since once they're idols, they'll do exactly the same thing, it does really hurt the sense of challenge and competition. Rednecks stay rednecks, R&Bers stay R&Bers, Broadway crooners stay shmaltzy, rockers keeping screaming.

Kinda boring frankly.

Something tells me it won't be boring tonight, but if it is then I won't make excuses for it.

Keep in mind that most professional singer/entertainers can't do diddly-squat outside their genre either.

#40 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

The more they sing in their own style, the better. I just don't need Scotty singing R&B (for example) when I know full well that he won't be singing that style when he goes Pro. The way I see it, the closer they perform to their individual styles, the more we are going to enjoy it and the more acurate our votes will be.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

spam firewall