Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

blackberry vs android...

zatznotfunny

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Well I have been thinking about getting the android htc, I have alwaysed wanted to use my blackberry(tether) as a modem but sprint wont let me. also just to get up to 4g is a plus, i love alot about my bb, it takes the abuse im not sure if the touch screens are willing to take a tumble from time to time. then there is the fact that i have a 8350I and my girlfriend had a 8330 and in the same house i would have full service and she was lucky to get any. some of the guys i work with says sprint side blows but the rep said that depends on the phone?? i really wanted one of those windows phones but im have been very happy with nextel and really dont want to leave them, but if i get an android then it has to be a sprint phone and im not to sure about the coverage the say they have good coverage but my girlfriends bb barely worked, i would hate to leave sprint i like there pricing plans and all but im not to sure, when is the new super bad ass blackberry coming out, or should i go android???
DIRECTV Technician
-------------------------------------------
My opinions are mine and do not reflect those of either my HSP or DIRECTV.BUT SHOULD BE!!!
-------------------------------------------
Worker rights!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

You have decent T-Mobile coverage? You sir, want a Motorola Defy:

http://www.gottabemo...rtphone-review/

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Blackberry is a dying brand. Sure, they're still selling a lot of phones (mostly upgrades to existing BBs for folks used to them), but their marketshare is eroding quickly.

Win Phone 7 is actually a quite good OS, but Microsoft was about 2 years too late in releasing it, and it's going to fade quickly.

iOS is obviously big, but Android is clearly on pace to be the dominant phone/tablet OS, based on growth rates. Obviously it will be a year or two before Android is beating the iPad, just as it was with the iPhone, but it will happen.

The other phone systems just aren't able to keep up. RIM is mostly holding on because of corporate phone use and their catering to that market (security/encryption), but once iOS and Android implement their planned solutions, RIM is going to really fade quickly.

The bottom line is that it's all about App support, because while all of these devices can access web pages, a dedicated App is MUCH easier to use, especially on a small touch-screen. And neither RIM nor WP7 is even close to the level of App support that you get with Android or iOS.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Blackberry is a dying brand.

:lol::lol::lol:

That simply can't be a serious statement.

Right now, Research In Motion's BlackBerry has around 35% of the market, the iPhone has about 28%, Google's Android about 9%.

Feel free to Google plenty on this topic...here's just one example.

http://www.fool.com/...-vs-iphone.aspx
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

You might want to actually read the articles you use to support your position. First, what you posted was 9 months old, and second, it already talks about the trouble RIM is in.

How about something from this week?

Android Passes RIM, Lengthens Lead on iOS: ComScore

or

RIM Slips: CMO Departing

Posted Image

And a prediction based on current trends:

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

You might want to actually read the articles you use to support your position.

You might want to read them BattleZone...most folks prefer 9 month old facts over projections 3 years into the future based on 0 facts.

There are plenty of projections out there that totally contradict the one you referenced.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Blackberry is a dying brand. Sure, they're still selling a lot of phones (mostly upgrades to existing BBs for folks used to them), but their marketshare is eroding quickly.

Win Phone 7 is actually a quite good OS, but Microsoft was about 2 years too late in releasing it, and it's going to fade quickly.

I'm still a Blackberry fan, though it is on the corporate level. I don't have anything like BES for Android or iOS. I certainly have lost some Blackberry users, but I've also had two come back from Android.

Windows Phone's big issue is the updates, or lack of them. The one coming needed to be in place already, and without the issues. Even Paul Thurrott is getting aggravated.

#8 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

I'll say up-front, I'm a diehard BB user. I had a BB, went to Windows Mobile and then came back to BB. I'm also very comfortable typing multi-page emails on my BB.

With that said, I was in exactly the same boat until about 3 weeks ago. I had an 8330 on Verizon from work and the thing was basically indestructible. Plus my battery lasted 2 or 3 days between charges. I started looking for a replacement and my main criterion was a full keyboard. Secondary criteria was battery life. I had a Windows mobile 5 phone at one time and hated how I could burn through the batter in a matter of hours, not days. So that gave me 3 BB choices and a couple of Droid choices. I went into Best Buy and took a look at the 3 BB's they had on VZB and was really disappointed. I already didn't like how RIM made the keys smaller on the 8330 from the track wheel BB I had previously. So when I saw they went even smaller with the 9xxx series, I had to rule out the BB's:mad::mad::mad: So I ended up getting my inner geek on and ordered the R2D2 themed Droid. They had a special and I was able to get it for $50 (work still picks up my voice/data plan; I just had to buy the device).

I’ve had it for about 3 weeks and am slowly getting used to it.

Things I miss about my BB
1. I was able to one hand the device a lot easier and was able to type emails and make calls almost by rote.
2. 2 or 3 day battery life was really nice (I can get about 1.5 days with R2D2, but I usually toss it on the charger each night.)
3. The ability to set different alert volumes for the phone and email. I kept the email notification on the BB at low, but had my phone set to high (I haven’t figured out how to do this on the Droid yet).
4. Automatic Spell Check before the email was sent. I thought I turned it on in Touchdown, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I have to buy the retail version to get that feature.

Things I like about R2D2
1. My kids think it's cool
2. I have 10 or so games on it that I was able to download for free and it give the kids something to do if we are at the Dr's office or waiting somewhere
3. Internet browsing is a lot nicer than on the BB and the pinch and zoom feature is pretty cool
4. I like how I can hit the little microphone button when I'm sending an email/text message and I can dictate the message to the phone. The Droid then translates the dictation to email (it's actually pretty accurate as well).

Things I'm still trying to get used to
1. The Speaker and mute touch screen buttons on the display are right below the hang-up button. So my fat fingers keep hanging up my calls when I try to hit mute or speaker.
2. I am using a trial version of Touchdown for my Exchange email because it lets me get to my notes in Exchange (the default ActiveSync app on the Droid doesn’t support notes). Unfortunately, I think I liked the built in Calendar and email functions of the Droid ActiveSync app better than Touchdown, so I may move back to the built-in app and figure out something else for notes.
3. I'm slowly getting used to the swype approach to typing on the phone. The only down side to swype is that it's really bad for technical jargon (which I tend to use a lot in my emails). So I probably am 75% on the slide out keyboard and 25% with swype. I don’t even bother trying to type on the screen. My fingers are too big and the virtual keys are too small. So I end up hitting the wrong keys 80% of the time.
4. The slide out keyboard is different from the BB keyboard I've been using for 5 years (it's slightly larger and doesn’t have the same feedback when you press a key). So I'm still getting used to that when I type messages.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my choice. I have a Zune, so I was really looking forward to a Windows 7 phone (so I only had to carry one device). Unfortunately, Windows 7 on Verizon has had a "sometime this year" of eta for a while (a week after I got R2D2 when they finally said a couple of months). But hey, R2D2 was only $50 and if the VZB Windows 7 phone looks really good, I can always shelve the Droid and pick up the Windows 7 phone.

Edited by Getteau, 11 March 2011 - 09:32 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

4. Automatic Spell Check before the email was sent. I thought I turned it on in Touchdown, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I have to buy the retail version to get that feature.

I don't think Touchdown supports spellcheck. They were concerned about database size, and were hoping Google would put dictionaries in. The only thing I know of in terms of limits in the trial is that you can't change the signature.

#10 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

My father works for a major corporation here in North Central Florida and all they use is BlackBerry. When you first start off with them you get one of the 'beep beep' flip phones, then they upgrade you after 6 months to a new BlackBerry. He enjoys the hell out of his BlackBerry and said he just feels ackward using any other phone now. I spoke with his boss about 3 months ago and he said there wouldn't be a shot in hell that he'd ever replace the company phones with anything other than BlackBerry. I'm using an Android Comet and other than the fact that Swype is annoying most of the time and it's a smaller touch screen phone, I love mine. I've used his BlackBerry and I personally prefer it over the touchscreen phones, even though I do like those (obviously owning one).
He's constantly having to type multipage emails to clients, the sub businesses and partners with the company. Seems like every time we go out to lunch he's emailing or texting his boss about something. His arguement is the key layout. He likes the keys being close together because he believe it's more comfortable and helps him type out what he needs to faster. This being said, he's not a small guy with feminine hands. The OS on the BlackBerry is something I enjoy more so than the Androids, and it could very well be I'm getting away from the whole 'bells and whistles' with phones because I only really use mine for on-the-go email and getting text/picture updates on what my wife and son are doing.

-Atticus

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

You might want to read them BattleZone...most folks prefer 9 month old facts over projections 3 years into the future based on 0 facts.

The recent (January 2011) statistics are that Android had passed Blackberry and at the rate that the Android OS is rising (and the RIM product is falling), it doesn't seem like an anomaly.

http://www.fiercemob...lead/2011-03-08

To the point:

Digital research firm comScore reports that as of January 2011, Android now represents 31.2 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, a 7.7 percentage points increase since October 2010--during the same period, BlackBerry slipped 5.4 percentage points and now accounts for 30.4 percent of the country's smartphones.

It is interesting to note that back in October 2009, Gartner group projected that Android would overtake iOS and RIM some time in 2012. Gartner projected that Symbian would own 39% of the market, Android 14.5%, iOS 13.7%, WinMo 12.8% and RIM 12.5%.

http://www.computerw...12_says_Gartner

Now with the QNX noise from RIM, the future is murky. I remember when QNX was once proposed as the possible savior of the Commodore Amiga.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,099 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

The recent (January 2011) statistics are that Android had passed Blackberry and at the rate that the Android OS is rising (and the RIM product is falling), it doesn't seem like an anomaly.

A one month trend is hardly a trend.

Every manufacturer or service vendor sees those when new devices (or major new plan offerings) are released for at least a couple months...

I'm sure the new Blackberry "Apollo" and "Dakota" devices (codenames) in field testing for release in a few months will also see a "surge" in new users.

No doubt the volumes can/will change over time, but for now...Blackberry owns the business user space. The Fortune 500 company I'm familiar with bans anything Apple or Android. No chance of that changing anytime soon.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

I'm sure the new Blackberry "Apollo" and "Dakota" devices (codenames) in field testing for release in a few months will also see a "surge" in new users.

I'll have to agree with the others, in that I don't think that will happen. The devices will sell as current BB users upgrade, but I think the days of BB garning "new" customers is about over. Their share will continue to erode until their nothing more than a niche product (or no longer exist). They really are a dying brand.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

BlackBerrys will remain strong for BUSINESS users due to sunk costs, typical business inertia, and familiarity, though there is going to be increasing pressure to adopt solutions to allow iOS and Android phones to be used as well. But clearly business users will be the last ones using BlackBerries.

For private use, BlackBerry has lost HUGE amounts of marketshare and mindshare. And as a result, they are in big trouble as a company. Their last several rounds of product launches have been met with tepid responses and mass desertions to other platforms. Developers are leaving rather than joining because Android and iOS is where the movement is going. Heck, even BlackBerry is trying to come up with a "hybrid" (read: half-assed) solution to allow Android apps to run on BlackBerry. Does anyone believe THAT will go well?

Bottom line is that the phone market's two biggest leaders, Nokia/Symbian and RIM/BlackBerry, are seeing a sea-change as MASSIVE amounts of users are switching to phones that can run Apps. There are 300,000 Android phones being activated DAILY, and that number continues to grow.

And with phones like the LG Optimus V on Virgin Moble, which is a high-quality, pretty full-featured "mid-level" phone that you can OWN for $149 ($129 on sale right now at Best Buy), with NO CONTRACT, and talk/data plans staring as low as $25 (Unlimited Everything for $60!), a quality Android phone is within nearly everyone's reach. It isn't hard to see why Android is growing like it is.

BlackBerry is in big trouble, and they know it. I don't know how anyone can look at the facts and not see it also.

#15 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

BlackBerrys will remain strong for BUSINESS users due to sunk costs, typical business inertia, and familiarity, though there is going to be increasing pressure to adopt solutions to allow iOS and Android phones to be used as well. But clearly business users will be the last ones using BlackBerries.

But even that will erode. My company recently switched to all Google. Our company Email is Gmail based, so we utilize all the features (Google Docs, Calendar, Sites, etc.) and everyone has an Android phone. One year ago, we all had Blackberry's.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Even some of the basic Outlook functions are still limited on other devices. Most don't allow searching of your entire Exchange mailbox, syncing tasks and notes are limited (at least without separate apps.) For the features and management benefits, Blackberry is a very viable solution. Sure you at least need to put a BES in a VM, depending on the number of users and you might need a support contract with someone, but for free software, it's very powerful.

#17 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

BES free? On what planet?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:54 PM

BES free? On what planet?

Maybe I should have said BESX instead of BES. For many companies, the IT policies included in BESX are all they really need. If those 35 policies do what they need, and they don't need a hot spare High Availability BES, the free BESX does everything they need. No cost for the software, no per user license fee or limit (well, there is a 75 user limit if you install it directly on an Exchange server) and no need for the more expensive data plan unless you need wireless activation.

Of course there will be companies that need the other policies or need High Availability, but there are a lot that don't. My BES only goes down during scheduled maintenance windows and my users are expecting to not get mail.

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

But even that will erode. My company recently switched to all Google. Our company Email is Gmail based, so we utilize all the features (Google Docs, Calendar, Sites, etc.) and everyone has an Android phone. One year ago, we all had Blackberry's.

Right. There is a HUGE push to move to Cloud computing, for a number of reasons. And the recent earthquakes in NZ and Japan are certainly among them, just as 9/11 still resonates here.

Being able to tell employees, "go to this office to work instead of the normal one" and have them be able to sit down at any desk and have full access to everything they normally use is a powerful concept, as is renting computing power on the Cloud for pennies.

And Android is very much a part of Google's Cloud services. That's going to cause many businesses to move forward on Android when otherwise they might have kept their BlackBerries for much longer.

#20 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Even some of the basic Outlook functions are still limited on other devices.

Yep, which is why Outlook is in a death spiral as well. I (and my current company) don't use it and haven't for years.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...