Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

blackberry vs android...

zatznotfunny

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

Globally, Symbian was king for quite a long time.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

Blackberry's market is basically people who previously had a Blackberry and who are either unable or unwilling to switch to something better.

It is very much a "Dying Brand".

It will retain some market share for another year or two, but unless they step up their game tremendously, or i-Phone and Android suffer some unforeseen and unlikely calamities, RIM is done.

#43 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

What was the OP's original question.. oh.. yeah.. this:

Well I have been thinking about getting the android htc, I have alwaysed wanted to use my blackberry(tether) as a modem but sprint wont let me. also just to get up to 4g is a plus, i love alot about my bb, it takes the abuse im not sure if the touch screens are willing to take a tumble from time to time. then there is the fact that i have a 8350I and my girlfriend had a 8330 and in the same house i would have full service and she was lucky to get any. some of the guys i work with says sprint side blows but the rep said that depends on the phone?? i really wanted one of those windows phones but im have been very happy with nextel and really dont want to leave them, but if i get an android then it has to be a sprint phone and im not to sure about the coverage the say they have good coverage but my girlfriends bb barely worked, i would hate to leave sprint i like there pricing plans and all but im not to sure, when is the new super bad ass blackberry coming out, or should i go android???

Jdogg, I would spend some time doing a lot of research here:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/
If you are used to doing a lot of typing on a BB keyboard, then typing on a touchscreen will involve a learning curve. I have three BB, and I still prefer those for typing. But I'm a Android user now and love the OS. Do the research, and spend your time in those relevant forums and I'm sure you will find a phone that suits your needs.
BTW: "Droid" refers to a line of Motorola phones, not the OS. " Android" is the name of Google's operating system, the terms shouldn't be used interchangeabley.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#44 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:03 AM

Blackberry's market is basically people who previously had a Blackberry and who are either unable or unwilling to switch to something better.

It is very much a "Dying Brand".

It will retain some market share for another year or two, but unless they step up their game tremendously, or i-Phone and Android suffer some unforeseen and unlikely calamities, RIM is done.

!rolling

Feel free to leave your $20 bet on the table.

I love easy money. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#45 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

In the business world, BB is still king. In the case of at least 3 Fortune 500 companies I directly know about (representing over 100,000 employees alone), BB is the only option - iOS and Android stuff simply is banned.

They probably still run Windows 2000 and XP as their primary desktop platforms as well.
Glacial movement doesn't always equal wisdom.

#46 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:15 AM

They probably still run Windows 2000 and XP as their primary desktop platforms as well.
Glacial movement doesn't always equal wisdom.

Yet its a major tech company, and forbids employee users to operate any non-BB devices based on "excessive costs tied to supporting iOS and Android-based devices and unproven security/scalability from consumer-oriented products that are not intended for business users". WIN7 is the desktop standard.

As an FYI - one exception - the mobile technology division alone works with all platforms, and has directly proven these statements to be correct through product application development hands-on experience. While they have an iOS app and an Android version...those are consumer-facing products which have proven to be extremely expensive to develop, maintain, and support overall.

It has also learned about the "unreliability and scalability issues" of the iOS and Android platforms for enterprise-grade business applications.

#47 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

If you watch TV and Internet adds, you'd swear nearly everyone used a smartphone. In reality, its a minority of users. When you break it down further by manufacturer, its even less impressive.

For those with a lust for stats...

RIM, iOS, and Android all have about the same market share - 1/3.

According to recent information, only 31% of all users have a smart phone.

Link:
http://mashable.com/...ne-marketshare/

So 10.3% of all wireless phone users user Blackberry, 10.3% user iOS phones, and 103% use Android phones.

In many regards...those are not daunting numbers.

#48 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

So 10.3% of all wireless phone users user Blackberry, 10.3% user iOS phones, and 103% use Android phones.

I knew Android was coming on strong, but that's a little hard to believe. :lol:

#49 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

RIM, iOS, and Android all have about the same market share - 1/3.

Did you even look at the charts in your own link? :confused:

Blackberry dropped to those levels and continues its downward plummet, while Android continues to take market share from them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

Did you even look at the charts in your own link? :confused:

You seemed ot have missed the big points:

1) One platform gain does not mean anothers demise - simply growth within the 69% of the market that uses NO smartphone whatsoever.

2) Numbers can tell alot of stories at the same time. Many marketing folks have made a career out of manipulative use of data.

3) I saw that chart as supporting the market growth of Android vs iOS devices as the primary impact, with RIM actually being pretty stable. Numbers can be used all sorts of ways.

#51 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

I gave up on RIM with their announcement of the Torch. This was supposed to be their answer, finally, to the Apple/Android devices. Then they showed us what they had and it was still years behind the competition. What a failure.
DTV = Digital Television

#52 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

I gave up on RIM with their announcement of the Torch. This was supposed to be their answer, finally, to the Apple/Android devices. Then they showed us what they had and it was still years behind the competition. What a failure.

I'd totallly agree that the Torch was a letdown - but that was not going to be their next generation flagship unit anyway. They have 2 new hot devices in the oven....for release in the months ahead. Those two will compete with anything you've seen from Android, and also iOS devices...

#53 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

Have you checked into PDAnet for the Blackberry? It allows tethering.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#54 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:43 PM

I'd totallly agree that the Torch was a letdown - but that was not going to be their next generation flagship unit anyway. They have 2 new hot devices in the oven....for release in the months ahead. Those two will compete with anything you've seen from Android, and also iOS devices...

Where is the link to support that? As a long time Blackberry user, now ex-user, I would like to see or read about these miracle catch up devices.

Sent from my HTC Inspire/Desire HD using DBSTalk
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#55 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

They had better hope so for their own sake. I have no idea how they are doing in the market, but it will eventually catch up with them if they don't adapt.
DTV = Digital Television

#56 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Also, I do believe that RIM suggested that the Torch was an attempt to compete with the iPhone. I hope the Storm 3 isn't one of the suggested devices. That one isn't going to cut it either.
DTV = Digital Television

#57 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Where is the link to support that? As a long time Blackberry user, now ex-user, I would like to see or read about these miracle catch up devices.

I'd be glad to introduce you to the regional VP in my area for RIM - he lives in my subdivision and is "field testing" one of them...so I got a personal "demo".

I suspect if you Google "Blackberry Dakota" or "Blackberry Apollo"....ya just might find out some information.... ;)

Heck even the search on my BB Curve can find it... !rolling

#58 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

I'd be glad to introduce you to the regional VP in my area for RIM - he lives in my subdivision and is "field testing" one of them...so I got a personal "demo".

I suspect if you Google "Blackberry Dakota" or "Blackberry Apollo"....ya just might find out some information.... ;)

Heck even the search on my BB Curve can find it... !rolling

I already did and I don't see how either will compete.

Apollo

Posted Image

Rumored Specifications:

* Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
* Tri-band UMTS/HSPA 7.2Mbps
* Bluetooth 2.1
* Wi-Fi b/g/n
* GPS
* NFC
* 512MB of eMMC, 512MB of RAM
* 5-megapixel camera with flash
* HVGA 480 x 360 display
* 1050 mAh battery
* Tavor MG-1 800MHz CPU
* BlackBerry OS 6.1
* 11mm thin

http://forums.crackb...e-specs-575709/

Dakota

Posted Image

Rumored Specifications:

* Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
* Tri-band UMTS
* 5 megapixel camera with HD video recording, flash, and image stabilization
* 4GB of built in storage, 768MB of RAM
* 2.8-inch VGA 640 x 480 capacitive screen
* WiFi b,g,n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies
* 3G mobile hotspot!
* MicroUSB port
* Bluetooth
* NFC
* Magnetometer
* Accelerometer
* Proximity sensor
* 10.5mm thin
* Launches with BlackBerry OS 6.1

http://forums.crackb...e-specs-575707/
DTV = Digital Television

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

I already did and I don't see how either will compete.

Sorry you can't see it.

#60 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

Sorry you can't see it.

Those specs, of not yet released devices, already fall short of current competition.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall