Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

R.I.P. TVLand (channel not going away)

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

I cant remember the last time i watched tv land. Only thing i might watch now is King and Queens or Married with Children. I can live without it. I am thankful that I have Me-tv and really like it that's where a lot of the older shows are going. I wish i would have Antenna tv though.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Mets82

Mets82

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I skimmed this post but I dont think anybody mentioned that the fact that they show wayyyy to many commericals and the off the clock programming. They also edit out scenes and jump all over the place. They have shows jump from Viacom station to Viacom station. Examples include Married with Children and The King of Queens. They've bounced from Comedy Central to Spike TV to TV Land.

I think the whole idea of classic tv being a thing of the past is total bs. If they wanted to show classic programming they would. The executives and pretty much most of the tv executives, now a days, are just obsessed with reality tv.

#83 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I skimmed this post but I dont think anybody mentioned that the fact that they show wayyyy to many commericals and the off the clock programming. They also edit out scenes and jump all over the place. They have shows jump from Viacom station to Viacom station. Examples include Married with Children and The King of Queens. They've bounced from Comedy Central to Spike TV to TV Land.

I think the whole idea of classic tv being a thing of the past is total bs. If they wanted to show classic programming they would. The executives and pretty much most of the tv executives, now a days, are just obsessed with reality tv.

There's always HULU and ThisTV & RTV in some areas.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#84 OFFLINE   facerw

facerw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:46 AM

Since we now have RTV, Me-TV and AntennaTV, TVLand has become irrelevant to me and as such has been removed from my recieiver. TV land was good in the beginning but has now become part of a greater problem in TV today.

#85 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:17 AM

What I would like is a station that only shows classic tv, publishes it schedule, and shows the shows in order. We have RTV and Me-TV, but the schedule is not on Dish in my market. I would also like it if the stations would digitally remaster the shows from the original prints, for those shows shot on film. Then a high-definition image in the OAR can be shown. It would be classic tv, like the original broadcast, but better. As I understand it, some of the older shows were shot on 35mm film, or possibly 70 mm film. If I am not mistaken, UniversalTV is showing Charlie's Angels this way, and I think that Hogan's Heroes and Flipper were shown this way on Voom a while back.

#86 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

I always though it would be a kick to for a channel to run primetime schedules as they were originally shown. Pick a network, a season and a day of the week (ie. ABC, 1973, Wednesday) and run it intact.

Every evening's line-up would be different recalling a different network, season and day.

In some cases they could even run the original commercials like TVLand did with their Retromercials for a while. Coke, Pepsi, Kraft and many other companies that sponsored shows back then are still around, so the ads could still be 'current' so to speak.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#87 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Yes, it really sucks, that TVLand has gotten so off track. I miss seeing allot of those 60's and 70's shows, that they used to air. Now we're stuck with 90's crap that I could do without. In our small market, in Upper New York State, we have none of those oldies stations, like MeTV, AntennaTV, THIS or RTV. I sometimes can get MeTV, out of market, over-the-air, when the tropo is right, but it's not consistent, especially in the winter months. I've decided to put up a C Band dish and grab the signals there. I've already told Directv that I would be interested in these networks, but they are not interested, at this time.

#88 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Dragnet, Adam-12 = Retro TV

Emergency = ME-TV

Good luck if you get either via DirecTV...

Or Dish Network.

#89 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

I don't know why they can't add one of the oldies stations to Directv. They can add allot of frill programming, but there is a market for this kind of programming.

#90 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

I always though it would be a kick to for a channel to run primetime schedules as they were originally shown. Pick a network, a season and a day of the week (ie. ABC, 1973, Wednesday) and run it intact.

Every evening's line-up would be different recalling a different network, season and day.

In some cases they could even run the original commercials like TVLand did with their Retromercials for a while. Coke, Pepsi, Kraft and many other companies that sponsored shows back then are still around, so the ads could still be 'current' so to speak.

WGN America ran NBC's Thursday night line-up from the 80's a while back. Cosby, Family Ties...etc. It was intact and pretty cool:)

#91 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

TV Land has become garbage and its sad....

CSI???????? -- Thats news to me that CSI is a classic!

Where can I watch Dragnet, Adam-12, and Emergency?

Me TV,Retro Television network :)

#92 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

TV Land has become garbage and its sad....

CSI???????? -- Thats news to me that CSI is a classic!

Me TV,Retro Television network :)

Not to DirecTV What You Might Like.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#93 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Not to DirecTV What You Might Like.

I've been after Directv about these oldies stations, everytime I call in. I've also went after the local over-the-air channels, telling them the benefits of an additional revenue stream, if they added one of MeTV, AntennaTV and RTV. Still no response. More people need to speak up.

spam firewall