Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1 800 333 Dish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lakerbird

Lakerbird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 11:38 PM

Anyone know of another DISH number that gets you quicker to a CSR?

Calling the standard DISH number most of the time now gets people that don't understand ENGLISH, and have a hard time speaking it.

I'm finding myself calling back numerous times until I can get someone that I can understand, and vice versa.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CivilizedAnarchy

CivilizedAnarchy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 11:48 PM

Yeah 1-888-888-3474
or 1-888-233-3474 then press 1
But sometimes the csr might throw a fit because
that number is intended for activations.
Most of the time, they don't care.

Lata, C.J.

Anyone know of another DISH number that gets you quicker to a CSR?

Calling the standard DISH number most of the time now gets people that don't understand ENGLISH, and have a hard time speaking it.

I'm finding myself calling back numerous times until I can get someone that I can understand, and vice versa.

#3 OFFLINE   jeffwtux

jeffwtux

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, I have a dumb question. Do they really need that many 800#s? I mean we pay for
those eventually. Do they really need the 888-920-GIFT number for ClubDish?

#4 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:57 AM

Toll free numbers usually do not cost the business any money up front, depending on who the phone provider is. They just have a per minute charge. So if Charlie has 3 toll free numbers set up or 300 toll free numbers set up, it doesnt cost him anymore money.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 03:51 PM

Toll free numbers usually do not cost the business any money up front, depending on who the phone provider is. They just have a per minute charge. So if Charlie has 3 toll free numbers set up or 300 toll free numbers set up, it doesnt cost him anymore money.

They cost the phone company --- but the phone company knows that if they give out 800 numbers to their customers, the customers will use those numbers and the phone company will bill for that usage.

It's a marginal cost.

JL

#6 OFFLINE   RogerDodger

RogerDodger

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:18 PM

Its not just the cost, what about the fact that there aren't unlimited # of phone # allocations in the blocks. Remember, they original started with 800, then 888, then 877, and now 866. I think, some companies are abusing the fact that there is no monthly charge for having the # if you don't use it. Heck, I got a toll free # for home, doesn't cost me anything (its for long distance calls when out of town), costs me same price as if I were making a long distance call from my home. No additional charges even if you call from a pay phone.

#7 OFFLINE   Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:23 PM

Just Curious, what language do the CSR's speak?

#8 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:27 PM

I think, some companies are abusing the fact that there is no monthly charge for having the # if you don't use it.

You hit the nail on the head Roger. There are companies that have lots of Toll Free numbers that they never use.

Heck, the company I use to work for (a phone company) had 5 different toll free numbers, all pointing to the same main number.
One would be for people in Northern MN
One would be for people in Northeastern MN
One would be for NW WI
One would be for Northern WI
One was for employees only

How idiotic was that? "Lets see, sir. You are in Hibbing. So my TF was XXXXXXXXXX"
"Ma'am, you're in Ashland. My TF is XXXXXXXXXY"

They wanted different toll frees because it allowed them to track where the business was.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 10:32 PM

You hit the nail on the head Roger. There are companies that have lots of Toll Free numbers that they never use.

My workplace of about 20 people has over 30 toll free numbers, most in the "most wanted" 800 range. Some of them are on hold for "future unspecified use", but most ring in the same phones. (I do have one pointed to my desk phone, which can forward you to my wireless.)

Most of the differences are used for tracking. The ones "on hold" are important because the boss will occasionally say "set up an 800 number for this special project" with very limited warning.

There are now several ranges of "toll free." 800 - 888 - 877 - 866 are now common and I believe the other ranges have now been opened (855 - 844 - 833 - 822).

JL

#10 Guest_Justavisitor_*

Guest_Justavisitor_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:49 AM

There are 4 call centers that DISH has that are staffed primarily with multi-lingual employees: New York, 2 in Texas and one off-shore. Your call may be routed to one of those centers depending on the time of day you call and the option you select from the IVR. If you select an option having to do with sales or purchase of your system, you will probably be routed to one of the centers listed above. If you select a billing, programming, or technical problem option, you may end up at one of their other centers (Virginia, Pennsylvania, Denver). If you call late at night, you'll be routed to the off shore or Texas center (both 24 hour operations). During normal business hours (7 am to 9 pm eastern time) you have a better chance of being routed to Pittsburgh, Virginia or Denver.

Another tip - try not to call during the peak call times, roughly 10-noon, 3-5 pm or 7-9 pm eastern time to avoid wait times and random call routing.

#11 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 09:36 PM

The activation line is supposed to be freed up for those wanting to make activations without the wait time and when others call that number it ties up the line therefore the CSR may tell you that they cant help you at this number.

#12 OFFLINE   rhpenguin

rhpenguin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 08:14 AM

I work in a callcenter and being a CSR myself and i can definatly see the benifits of having mulitple numbers. Its more of a convenience thing really when routing calls. I mean its a whole lot better than sitting on the phone going through menus for like five minutes and then waiting again to talk to someone, but having mulitple numbers gets you there quick and easy. I know for the company i work for one of our clients has an american and a Canadian number. It just helps the CSR set up the call easier.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...