Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Please help ith my MRV/Networking setup

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

I just got an upgrade to the Whole Home DVR setup with MRV. Here's my set up:

Bedroom: HR20-700
Living Room: HR23-700
Basement: HR24-200, XBOX 360, Playstation 3, Blu Ray, Wii

My cable modem is not close to any of the receivers and I currently have a Belkin N+ wireless router connected to it. Both the HR20 and HR23 have the little white DECA boxes connected with an ethernet going from the DECA box to the ethernet port on the back of each respective receiver. The HR 24 has a black (I assume DECA) box with an ethernet cord coming from the box, but not connected to the receiver.

What exactly do I need in each location to connect each receiver to the internet, as well as connecting my XBOX, PS3, Blu Ray, and Wii for gaming?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

The Black box is the broadband connection. This gets connected to your router in one of the LAN ports. As far as your gaming devices, you will need to connect them wirelessly or purchase a switch and connect them with cat5. There is a unsupported way that uses the DECA connection to a switch then you connect your devices.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,943 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

I just got an upgrade to the Whole Home DVR setup with MRV. Here's my set up:

Bedroom: HR20-700
Living Room: HR23-700
Basement: HR24-200, XBOX 360, Playstation 3, Blu Ray, Wii

My cable modem is not close to any of the receivers and I currently have a Belkin N+ wireless router connected to it. Both the HR20 and HR23 have the little white DECA boxes connected with an ethernet going from the DECA box to the ethernet port on the back of each respective receiver. The HR 24 has a black (I assume DECA) box with an ethernet cord coming from the box, but not connected to the receiver.

What exactly do I need in each location to connect each receiver to the internet, as well as connecting my XBOX, PS3, Blu Ray, and Wii for gaming?

What is this connected to?
The HR24 has the DECA internally, so it doesn't need the white ones like your others.
This black one sounds like it should be the DECA to is to connect to your router and give internet access to all the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

The broadband connection (Black Box) injects the internet into the DECA cloud. You may have to menu reset all of your receivers for them to pick up an IP address once you connect the broadband connection.

#5 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hi VOS!

#6 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:45 PM

The Black box is the broadband connection. This gets connected to your router in one of the LAN ports. As far as your gaming devices, you will need to connect them wirelessly or purchase a switch and connect them with cat5. There is a unsupported way that uses the DECA connection to a switch then you connect your devices.

My cable modem feeds into my Belkin 4 port router. This is all in my upstairs laundry room. So, what do I need to purchase that I can connect everything in the basement to my network/internet?

#7 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:48 PM

You can use powerline adaptors. They work pretty good and have been redesign and have theoretical speeds of 200mbps. Check this link.http://netgear.com/h...ax/default.aspx

#8 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:49 PM

The broadband connection (Black Box) injects the internet into the DECA cloud. You may have to menu reset all of your receivers for them to pick up an IP address once you connect the broadband connection.

I think I understand. I just moved into a new house and D* was installed BEFORE my internet. I'm now doing a reset on my HR23.

I'm assuming I'll still need to simply buy a wireless router to use on my xbox, ps3, and wii to "talk" to the other router that's connected to my cable modem, correct?

#9 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

You would connect one of these to the router and then one of them to a switch in the basement and connect all of your devices to it. None of your DirecTV stuff needs to connect to the switch as they are already on their own cloud.

#10 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:53 PM

You would need a wireless gaming adaptor. Can't use a router. This would work http://netgear.com/h.../WN2000RPT.aspx

I think I understand. I just moved into a new house and D* was installed BEFORE my internet. I'm now doing a reset on my HR23.

I'm assuming I'll still need to simply buy a wireless router to use on my xbox, ps3, and wii to "talk" to the other router that's connected to my cable modem, correct?

#11 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

Of course you don't have to use NETGEAR products.:)

#12 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

I'm not sure I understand. I have a coax going into the HR24 and into the black box. Then the installer left a short ethernet cord coming out of the black box and I thought he said I had to connect that to my router when I get my internet up and running. Do not connect that to a router?

#13 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:18 AM

No connect that to the router.

#14 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

No connect that to the router.

The router is upstairs in my laundry room. I did buy another router though. Do I connect the HR 24 and my gaming devices to that?

#15 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

As far as Directv equip, MRV was BETA tested using the ethernet connection and CAT5 cabling. When it went public, DIRECTV went with DECA. You can only use one or the other so since you have DECA I wanted to make sure that you did not connect anything other than the Broadband connection adaptor to your router. Sorry to confuse you.

#16 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

As far as Directv equip, MRV was BETA tested using the ethernet connection and CAT5 cabling. When it went public, DIRECTV went with DECA. You can only use one or the other so since you have DECA I wanted to make sure that you did not connect anything other than the Broadband connection adaptor to your router. Sorry to confuse you.

Sorry, I'm still lost. How do I get my HR24 in the basement to "talk" to connect with my cable modem and Belkin router upstairs?

#17 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

You need to have a wireless bridge for a config like your talking about. What model numbers are routers you have now? If they are the same you might be able to do that. I will look it up once you give me the model numbers

The router is upstairs in my laundry room. I did buy another router though. Do I connect the HR 24 and my gaming devices to that?

#18 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

The HR24 will communicate through the built in DECA. It has the white box built in to it. Where is the DECA broadband adaptor located at?

Sorry, I'm still lost. How do I get my HR24 in the basement to "talk" to connect with my cable modem and Belkin router upstairs?

#19 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

You need to have a wireless bridge for a config like your talking about. What model numbers are routers you have now? If they are the same you might be able to do that. I will look it up once you give me the model numbers

F5D8235-4- this is the one hooked to my cable modem right now
F7D8302 V1- new one

#20 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:36 AM

The HR24 will communicate through the built in DECA. It has the white box built in to it. Where is the DECA broadband adaptor located at?

It is currently connected to my HR24 in the basement. MRV is working great, just can't connect to the internet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...