Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Media share capabilities for video?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:53 PM

I am trying to stream DVD movies that I have ripped on my Windows 7 pc and although my hr24 receiver sees the files, they fail to play.

Is streaming movies even possible?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,823 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

Yes, I stream a variety of video formats, wmv, m4v, mp4, and others. Just wish it had even some limited trickplay. . . say, ff / rw.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

I must be doing something wrong then, is their a file size limitation? Does anyone have recommended settings when ripping? Do you use a streaming program or just let the receiver pick up the files off of your pc?

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

You need to use a streaming program for most formats.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

I am trying to stream DVD movies that I have ripped on my Windows 7 pc and although my hr24 receiver sees the files, they fail to play.

Is streaming movies even possible?

I have had the same problem. WMP11 and Windows7 allows you to see the files but I get a file size too large during playback. PS3 playback works great, just not the H/HR receivers I have in this configuration.

For those that have gotten this to work, I would be interested in what works best to stream video to the H/HR via DLNA / MediaShare?

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Install TVersity with all defaults . . pretty painless.

#7 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

Install TVersity with all defaults . . pretty painless.

Unfortunately, that didn't work. The HR24 sees the TVersity movies but the playback always fails...

#8 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:37 PM

Same here.. Do you need the pro-version for MP4 encoded movies? Looks like it starts transcoding on the server side then aborts.

Edited by 901racer, 14 March 2011 - 09:59 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

I haven't used Tversity in a while, but apparently there are some issues with the latest version and you need to use an earlier one. I have been using iSedora on my Mac (there is also a Windows version) and have been quite satisfied with the performance (subject to the limitations of Media Share itself). I also use it to stream to my Samsung Blu-ray player.

They recently sent me a code which others can use to get iSedora at a discount. Here is the information if anybody wants to use it:

IFF976355997 (valid till Apr 13, 2011)
The above is your personal unique iSedora Friendly Code. It is not secure nor secret. Quite opposite, you may distribute it widely among your friends and fellows if you want to recommend them iSedora. The code is multiple and can be applied up to 25 times.

Your friends can also use this direct link http://www.isedora.c...de=IFF976355997 to instantly apply the code.

#10 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

I am using 1.8 after some problems with 1.9.1. I thought I had read that those problems had been fixed in the current 1.9.3.

#11 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:26 AM

I haven't used Tversity in a while, but apparently there are some issues with the latest version and you need to use an earlier one. I have been using iSedora on my Mac (there is also a Windows version) and have been quite satisfied with the performance (subject to the limitations of Media Share itself). I also use it to stream to my Samsung Blu-ray player.

They recently sent me a code which others can use to get iSedora at a discount. Here is the information if anybody wants to use it:

Very nice and Thanks. Seems to work well with the H/HR D* devices as well my other DLNA gadgets. You can even tell it to transcode by device or send the stream as native for those that will support it.

Good find, looks to be a keeper!

#12 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Unfortunately, that didn't work. The HR24 sees the TVersity movies but the playback always fails...

Download PlayOn. They have a new feature to 'My Media' from local hard drive. The PlayOn will expire if you don't buy license but the 'My Media' continues to work after.. The streaming is flawless and it works on pretty much all formats..

Give it a shot!

It works on my HR22-100 - HR24-500 & R22-100

http://www.playon.tv/content-channels

Edited by scb2k, 15 March 2011 - 01:25 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Download PlayOn. They have a new feature to 'My Media' from local hard drive. The PlayOn will expire if you don't buy license but the 'My Media' continues to work after.. The streaming is flawless and it works on pretty much all formats..

Give it a shot!

It works on my HR22-100 - HR24-500 & R22-100

http://www.playon.tv/content-channels

Thanks for the idea, I tried it but no luck. Same issue, The HR24 lists all of my movies but none of them will play. :(

#14 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

clay_w, do you have the DVD movie in one file or in separate files? I would love to try to play the file in my box. Can you send the file to me, so that I can test playback on my box?

you can upload to megaupload, or use http://multiupload.com/

#15 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

clay_w, do you have the DVD movie in one file or in separate files? I would love to try to play the file in my box. Can you send the file to me, so that I can test playback on my box?

you can upload to megaupload, or use http://multiupload.com/

I have tried several different types of files, I will work on getting a single file uploaded and get back to you when it is ready.

Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

By the way with PlayOn make sure you install VLC player. VLC player is required on the local system in order for files to play. Once you have it installed download this 60 second sample file and see if it plays.. http://www.multiupload.com/OG7K8MIQQ7 it plays on my box, fine. I used Handbrake to encode in MKV format. (MP4 also plays on all my receivers)

On a side note, when you encode your DVD's, you might want to use HandBrake to encode your DVD's to MKV/MP4 files ;) MKV/MP4 files work great, and quality is good too..

Anyway, send me that file when you have it ready.

Edited by scb2k, 17 March 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

By the way with PlayOn make sure you install VLC player. VLC player is required on the local system in order for files to play. Once you have it installed download this 60 minute sample file and see if it plays.. http://www.multiupload.com/OG7K8MIQQ7 it plays on my box, fine. I used Handbrake to encode in MKV format. (MP4 also plays on all my receivers)

On a side note, when you encode your DVD's, you might want to use HandBrake to encode your DVD's to MKV/MP4 files ;) MKV/MP4 files work great, and quality is good too..

Anyway, send me that file when you have it ready.

Are you using the "My Media" beta function or the local file plug-in to get this working with PlayOn?

Not working right now with "My Media" beta function on an H24. Will play with it a little more..

#18 OFFLINE   huckyourmeat

huckyourmeat

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Second iSedora. I tried both Playon and TVersity. I'm fairly tech savvy and couldn't get either of them to work. Sure, iSedora isn't free, but it took about 10 minutes from download to streaming from my media server PC to all of my TVs. I haven't had a single problem with it since installing about 1.5 months ago.

#19 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

Are you using the "My Media" beta function or the local file plug-in to get this working with PlayOn?

Not working right now with "My Media" beta function on an H24. Will play with it a little more..

I'm using the 'My Media' beta function. No plug-in.

#20 OFFLINE   901racer

901racer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:21 PM

I'm using the 'My Media' beta function. No plug-in.

Thanks ... It is working fine. Simple audio configuration. Both ISedora and PlayOn seem to work well with the new H/R24 series boxes fine.

Netflix and most of the other PlayOn functionality I have tested seem to work well with the D* receivers.

I'm going to stick with PlayOn for now and test it awhile. Nice to know there are two very viable products.

But then again the PS3 and my newer bluray players work native with my win7 httpc without the need for another program to transcode. Maybe D* will fix the compatibility of mediashare when it comes out of beta in a couple years. :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...