Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NCAA BB Television Changes for 2011

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

This isn't exactly news but a reminder that this year CBS won't be covering games regionally any more and all CBS stations will show the same game in it's entirety instead of switching back and forth. Other games will be shown the same way on TNT, TBS and TruTV.

http://www.mediabist...ournament_b5805

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:34 PM

For OTA-only people... it will bite if your local market team isn't on the CBS channel...

For cable/satellite people like me, it is really slick to have all the games now available without having to subscribe to a package to get it for an extra fee.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#3 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

I was so happy to have games on dedicated channels (especially channels that I get in HD) that I didn't even think how hosed OTA only users will be.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:33 PM

They could mega march madness on demand for free to watch them all on their computers.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

They could mega march madness on demand for free to watch them all on their computers.

I think it is available to stream for free online... but then you have to have a decent internet connection.

I'll wager that anyone with OTA-only probably doesn't have high-speed internet either... though I could be wrong on that.

Meanwhile....

Since I moved and got Dish network years ago... I have been stuck with whatever rotation CBS did until this year. My father, however, had 4 separate feeds delivered from WRAL (our local CBS) to Time Warner for the multiple game feeds.

The only bad part there, was even though they were free to all Time Warner customers... CBS didn't have discreet feeds all the time, so they often were cutting to the same close game on 2-3 channels... meaning you didn't really get the full effect of discreet games.

I'm really looking forward to this year... and seeing how they handle it. It sounds like they will do some kind of notification (popup?) on the screen to let you know if a close game is going on another channel OR if a game is about to end or go to overtime... so you can switch if you want.

This would actually be a COOL thing if Dish (I have Dish obviously) could use their onscreen "press select now" interactive features to automatically change to that game if you hit select when the notification came up on the screen. They'd need a broadcast signal to know to do it... but it would be super-slick.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#6 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

This would actually be a COOL thing if Dish (I have Dish obviously) could use their onscreen "press select now" interactive features to automatically change to that game if you hit select when the notification came up on the screen. They'd need a broadcast signal to know to do it... but it would be super-slick.

That would be hella-cool! :yesman:

#7 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Do we have TruTV? What channel if so? Edit: nvm I see the other thread now..

Edited by scott72, 16 March 2011 - 10:15 AM.

spam firewall