Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DECA Help! Orange cLink light blinking.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   medicechic

medicechic

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hello,

I had my DirecTV system installed a month ago and still have not gotten the internet working. I have 1 HD/DVR box the HR24/500. The dish is labeled on the system setup as swimline 3. The most recent update to my software was on 03/01/11 and it is listed as 0x459.

The installer used SWiM power controller by the receiver, a splitter outside, and placed a black DECA box in the next room next to my router. Everything has green stickers on it.

The splitter has 5 spots on it. There is the coax coming from the dish going into "in" plug on splitter. There are two coax cables coming out of it. I crawled under my house and the one plugged into the first out/power to swm is plugged into the power controller by the receiver. The other coax is plugged into out 2 and goes to the DECA by my router.

When he first installed it, everything turned green and the internet was working. After he left and the receiver upgraded software, it stopped. The power light is green, the network light is not on, and the cLink light is blinking orange.

I do not have the SWiM or the DECA plugged in to surge protector power strips as he told me they both had to be plugged directly into the wall.

I also did not subscribe to Whole Home DVR service as I only plan on having the one receiver. He stated he was installing it this way in case I ever decided to get another receiver box in another room.

I have done power resets on everything in the order suggested elsewhere in the forum (cable modem, router, SWiM, DECA, HD/DVR), and even tried reverting my router back to original factory settings (open system, no security) to see if that changed anything. It didn't.

I've also checked all connections both at the splitter and the router and receiver. They are all tight.

I have the NETGEAR N600 Wireless Dual Band router model #WNDR3400.

When running system test, it says no network found and no phone line (Error #70-73-838). Also when attempting to connect, it shows "no coax"

I did note that under advanced settings it is inserting a dummy IP address and subnet mask. They are totally different than my network. I tried manually entering in the IP address etc, but that did not work either. My router is set up to automatically do the DHCP settings.

I also noted that all the connections are cool to the touch except the coax going into the DECA. The coax plug on the DECA is warm as is the DECA box. I've left it unplugged since it hasn't been working anyway.

Any other ideas? I asked the person on the phone if it could be because I'm not subscribed to Whole Home DVR, but she stated that shouldn't matter.

I did try directly connecting an ethernet cable to my router and the back of my box and the internet does work just fine through that. I also unplugged it and tried a "red button" reset, but it still won't connect and shows the same errors as before. I even tried reauthorizing my receiver from my account online.

I did have the installer come back out more than once. He tested the coax cables, tried a different model DECA which also turned orange, and said he tried different plugs on the splitter.

The last time he was here, he gave up and told me to run an ethernet cable under my house myself, that he wouldn't do it because DirecTV does not supply ethernet cable anymore. He said he was leaving the DECA box in case I figured out how to get it working.

I have since then hurt my knee and am unable to crawl back under the house any time soon. I'm tired of having an ethernet cable strung across the floor. Help!

Thanks!

E

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

The yellow cLink is because it can't find another DECA to sync with.
What seems to have happened is the internal DECA in the receiver has been deactivated.
You'll need to reconnect your "black DECA", and then go into the receiver setup menu and re-run the SAT setup. The receiver should reboot at the end of the setup and if it doesn't, then do it through the menu.
This should/will reactivate the internal DECA, and it should then sync with the black one that connects to your router.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

Make sure you pull the cat5 out of the back of the reciever when attempting to use the deca. Put the clear plug back in the receiver on the cat5 connection.

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

A similar thing happened to me last month. I fixed it by unplugging the DECA and plugging it back in about 30 seconds later to reset it.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   medicechic

medicechic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Ok I tried unplugging the ethernet from the back of the box and plugging the black DECA back in to the wall in the other room. I ran through the satellite setup again and also reset the receiver with a red button reset. Also tried unplugging the DECA for 30 seconds and plugging it back in.

When I run the system test, it pops up diagnostic code 76-837... which means it still isn't looking for the DECA. Under more info, it shows:

Network
IP Address 169.254.10.6
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: -
DNS:
STB Services port: ! N/A (100)
Audio Services Port: -
Network: Coax not connected (9)
Internet: ! Not connected (9)

The internet set up fails. Power light green, cLink Orange light still blinking, Network light still off. Note, my router detects the DECA as the slot I have it plugged into lights up.

What do I do now?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

There may be a problem where your "Black" DECA is to the DVR.
Do you have any way to connect these closer to each other, say a splitter that you can connect behind the DVR. Even if the BB DECA doesn't connect to your router, it should "sync" with the DVR and get the coax networking started.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   medicechic

medicechic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

Veryoldschool,

I have plenty of play in the coax cable to bring it in the living room just to see if it will connect. It's only about 10 feet away. I'll try that and let you know how it goes!

Are they trying to connect wirelessly? I have had trouble with other wireless things in this house such as my cordless phone... the house is close to 100 years old and we figure there is wire mesh in the walls from the plaster and that it is messing up signals.

Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

Veryoldschool,

I have plenty of play in the coax cable to bring it in the living room just to see if it will connect. It's only about 10 feet away. I'll try that and let you know how it goes!

Are they trying to connect wirelessly? I have had trouble with other wireless things in this house such as my cordless phone... the house is close to 100 years old and we figure there is wire mesh in the walls from the plaster and that it is messing up signals.

Thanks!

Nope, there is nothing wireless here. They are trying to connect through the coax by using the 525-575 MHz range. The cLink LED is monitoring these signals and yellow/blinking means it hasn't. Solid yellow means it has but is not a good signal, and green means it is good and locked.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   medicechic

medicechic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Ok, I tried moving it into the living room with no ethernet cable plugged into anything. I did a red button reset, didn't work. Did a everything reset, still not working. Did another reset with the DECA totally unplugged, noted when the receiver reset, the ethernet plug on the back flashed on and off. Still when running the test I get the same message above. The internal DECA isn't turning back on for some reason?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Ok, I tried moving it into the living room with no ethernet cable plugged into anything. I did a red button reset, didn't work. Did a everything reset, still not working. Did another reset with the DECA totally unplugged, noted when the receiver reset, the ethernet plug on the back flashed on and off. Still when running the test I get the same message above. The internal DECA isn't turning back on for some reason?

OK, it is either defective, or needs some more "prodding".
I'd re-run the SAT setup, then pull the power cord for maybe 10-15 mins.
Then I'd make sure the BB DECA is powered up and there isn't anything causing a signal problem between the two. The "best way" would be to have these connected to a 2-way splitter [one to the receiver & other to the BB DECA], which then connects to the dish/SWiM.
Once the BB DECA is powered up I'd then power up the receiver "and hope".
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   medicechic

medicechic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:39 PM

Ok, I'm confused now. What should be connected to the 2-way splitter?

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

Ok, I'm confused now. What should be connected to the 2-way splitter?

The top is a "normal" setup, and the bottom is a test setup:

1test.png
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   medicechic

medicechic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Ok I see now.
Do I need a green label 2 way splitter?
Also what is the purple plug connected to the DECA in the drawing? I just have the normal power plug for the BB DECA box.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Ok I see now.
Do I need a green label 2 way splitter?
Also what is the purple plug connected to the DECA in the drawing? I just have the normal power plug for the BB DECA box.

The "purple plug" is a PI needed for the white DECA, but your "black" DECA has a different power cord.

Green splitters have been modified to pass the DECA signal with less loss.
"For the test" you should be able to use a non green label, since this should be a test and have short coax being used.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   medicechic

medicechic

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

I was all pumped to go find a 2 way splitter, until I remembered I can't drive because of my knee... oops! Will have to try that another day!

I'm so beyond frustrated with this! Tired of fighting with it, just wish it would work.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

Re-reading you first post, I'd call DirecTV and have them come out and do a follow-up. "Why sweat it"?
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...