Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NCAA random new basketball rules ideas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

While watching the games tonight... I found myself thinking of some ideas to possibly enhance college basketball...

1. No more "and 1" for shooters fouled who make a basket. Instead, if you are fouled AND make the basket... the basket counts, the other guy is charged with a foul... and you play on. No "advantage" is gained if you still make the shot, but still penalize the fouler for that infraction. This would stop all of those players leaning in trying to create contact without regard to trying to make an actual shot.

2. For all other free scenarios slightly modified rules... IF you are fouled in the act of shooting and miss... then you get extra tries to make the shots. Why should the defense benefit by fouling a guy on an easy layup thus forcing him to make 2 longer shots to get the same points? So... to make up for some of that... You get 3 shots to make 2 points or 4 shots to make 3 points, depending on the shot. That helps make up for some of the difference when fouling known poor free throw shooters to prevent easy baskets instead of trying to play proper defense.

For other foul scenarios (player control for ex.) you only get 2 shots because these are truly bonus points when not in the act of shooting.

3. Modification to overtime rules for players that have fouled out... Players still get 5 fouls total (the fifth gets you ejected)... but IF the game goes to overtime, all fouled-out players are eligible again with 1 less foul. IF you foul again, you are out again unless the game goes to another overtime.

Even if MY team wins... I hate my team winning in overtime because the other team's best player fouled out in regulation and then the overtime plays differently than the rest of the game up until then. I want my team to win in regulation if they need to foul out the other team to do so... IF they can't do that, then they should have to work harder in overtime with those players back on the court again.

I may think of more... but these came to mind.

Thoughts?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

#1, that would radically change the game of basketball. There would be no added advantage to attacking the rim on offense. The inside game would all but disappear and it would just because a jump shot game.

#2, Sometimes a foul is a defensive strategy... especially on those easy layups. And sorry... there is no reason why any basketball player NCAA or higher, can't shoot 90% or better on the free throws. The line hasn't changed, and the rim is still 10 foot. They should be practicing 100+ after every practice.

#3, would that continue for double, tripple overtime? you could then in theory put all your best players on the court... let them foul out... to stop the guy from tieing or winning the game... then they all come back for the OT.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:10 AM

#1, that would radically change the game of basketball. There would be no added advantage to attacking the rim on offense. The inside game would all but disappear and it would just because a jump shot game.

I know it's a radical idea, but I'm not sure it would exactly have the effect you are saying. The incentive to drive to the basket for a layup or dunk is because it is much easier than an outside jumper.

People don't drive to the basket just to get fouled... they want to make the shot. Teams playing proper defense would defend without fouling... so it's kind of only because you can't play perfect defense that people get fouled on those shots anyway.

My thought are that the theory behind calling fouls is similar to calling traveling... they tend to call fouls more or traveling more when the player gains an unfair advantage... Arguably, if you make the shot while being fouled... then the defender didn't gain an advantage because you still made the shot.

#2, Sometimes a foul is a defensive strategy... especially on those easy layups. And sorry... there is no reason why any basketball player NCAA or higher, can't shoot 90% or better on the free throws. The line hasn't changed, and the rim is still 10 foot. They should be practicing 100+ after every practice.

I hear you... and while I was better at longer jump shots than free throws myself... if I were on a team I would have practiced more and gotten better at it.

But my point was really to eliminate the fouling for the sake of fouling by defense, because that to me is lazy defense... to foul instead of playing good defense...

It is a companion to rule #1... they are meant to work together really.

IF rule #1 is adopted (no free throw if you make the basket)... then defenders might be encouraged to be lazy on defense and not worry if they fouled.

so rule #2 is meant to discourage fouling for the sake of fouling, because the shooter will get more chances to make those points.

#3, would that continue for double, tripple overtime? you could then in theory put all your best players on the court... let them foul out... to stop the guy from tieing or winning the game... then they all come back for the OT.

Basically... yes. You still wouldn't want to foul out though, because if the other team wins in regulation or before the next overtime, then you are done and not on the court to affect the game. Also, even though you come back to the court in the next overtime, you only have that 1 foul and you are out again.

It isn't likely to be something that comes up too often... but I have seen games that went to multiple overtimes and had 3-4 players on each time foul out... so the game became really ragged because people were on the court that hardly ever play in normal games.

Oh... and I forgot to mention it... but I've wondered it if wouldn't be worth considering another:

#4. Widen the court. The length is fine... but the width (especially in the pro game) forces them to make the 3-pt line on the sides a shorter shot than at the top of the key.... I was thinking the addition of just 1-2 ft on each side might make a difference in gameplay.

#4 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

These ideas are terrible.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

These ideas are terrible.

Why?

Do you have specific reasons? OR perhaps some better suggestions?

Maybe there are some current rules you would like to see go away.

I was kind of hoping to kick up some discussion... I'm sure my ideas aren't perfect or the best... but there are some situations that I think could be improved.

I saw several cases of last-minute long attempts that were more about trying to get a foul call than trying to take a good shot over the weekend. In some cases, fouls were called.

I would like to see more players trying to get good shots, and less trying to get fouled while doing so. That was one of the motivations.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...