Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why would I NOT keep this MVR setup...?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   netmac

netmac

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:04 AM

So I wasn't able to get the free Whole Home DVR hookup, but did convince DTV to mail me the parts and set up myself. First they sent me two DECAs and one DECA BB box. Unfortunately, one of the DECAs was bad. So they sent me another...But it was a DECA BB vs. regular DECA. Rather than return it immediately and wait another week to drive my new toy, I remembered that at one of my TVs I still had two wires coming to the receiver from my pre-SWM days. That prompted me to run one coax cable to my HR-21-700 and then a second one to the DECA BB and run that to my HR-21-700's network connection. Everything seems to be working right, so I ask: what's wrong with this setup and why would I get rid of it (beyond the fact that it is a non-standard configuration)? Diagram is included.

On an aside, I tried to run a splitter off a single coax then run one side of the splitter to the HR-21-700 and the other side to the DECA BB and then connect the DECA BB network line to the HR-21-700. That enable the networking capabilities fine, but the TV viewing on the HR21 was pixelated and stuttered to the point of being unwatchable. Curious to understand why that happened...

Attached Thumbnails

• DTV diagram.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

Reference your current setup, that will work just fine. As you said though, it is not a standard or supported configuration.

As for the other question regarding the splitter, was it a green label splitter? If not, what you observed is a reason why you need to use one.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:29 AM

Reference your current setup, that will work just fine. As you said though, it is not a standard or supported configuration.

As for the other question regarding the splitter, was it a green label splitter? If not, what you observed is a reason why you need to use one.

- Merg

That shouldn't be the reason. If the splitter was a problem, then the cLink LED should show it with a yellow light.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

That shouldn't be the reason. If the splitter was a problem, then the cLink LED should show it with a yellow light.

Got it. Missed that networking was fine when connected in that config.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

I suspect the stuttering was due to an open coax. If the OP wants to use the proper splitter or regular DECA, remove the extra coax and add a terminator to all open ports of the main splitter.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

I suspect the stuttering was due to an open coax. If the OP wants to use the proper splitter, remove the extra coax and add a terminator to all open ports of the main splitter.

"Actually" if that was the case/cause, then running the coax network test from the HR24 should show this.
The menu is found by pressing both the guide & > "buttons" from the front panel. Then select the coax network.

Now I don't know if this would cause this because I don't leave any port not terminated. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

Is MVR the same as MRV?

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#8 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

I did say, I suspect.:) But the test is good idea and a good exercise for the OP.

Also, note that I edited my post after you quoted me to include the proper DECA with coax and DECA power coming to/from the DVR (meaning the extra splitter wouldn't be required if using the regular DECA). But always terminate unused splitter ports.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:14 PM

I did say, I suspect.:) But the test is good idea and a good exercise for the OP.

Even running the system test from the 24 would give "some idea" of the status, as if the PHY MESH rates are below min, it will display an error.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

I agree but the coax test is a good quality-control test after modifying a setup. I like to see nominal results as opposed to a Passed/Fail. Good suggestion, VOS!

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

I agree but the coax test is a good quality-control test after modifying a setup. I like to see nominal results as opposed to a Passed/Fail. Good suggestion, VOS!

Having once started with the system test error, and then getting contacted by DirecTV to test the coax network [after it was added into the firmware], "yeah" we all can find more info in that menu, but for some, just doing the first [system] test will show if more testing is needed. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Just another thing that shouldn't be hidden.. That menu should be in the setup menu somewhere.

#13 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

How much did they charge you to have the parts sent out to you?
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   netmac

netmac

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

- Merg

Yes, it was a green label SWM splitter. That's why I thought the behavior was so odd.

#15 OFFLINE   netmac

netmac

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

How much did they charge you to have the parts sent out to you?

I got the 2 DECAs and the DECA BB for $40

spam firewall