Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Noob needs suggestions...WH, etc.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrsz

larrsz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

I have been away from Direc for quite a while due to a move to a house with no way to see the sats (since 2002) but before that had the service since its inception. Having moved to an area where I can choose DirecTV again, I am really considering it, but the decision is going to be based on Whole Home and Media features, so hopefully someone can help me out.

I currently have 5 Tivos and cable service and all are hard wired to my home network. I also have a media center PC which serves up my archived movies to any of the Tivos. The Tivos also give me access to Netflix and Amazon VOD as well as YouTube. We really use these quite a bit as well as the MRV feature to move content from one DVR to another. However, I have monthly fees on all the Tivos as well as cable card fees from my cableco. In all, just the "box fees" run me about $60 monthly. The downside with the Tivos is simply the way they have implemented whole home, which means some content cannot be shared to another location (so we may have to record the same thing on multiple Tivos) and the lack of content with my cableco (only 36 non-premium HD channels, a bunch of sportsnets missing, etc.).

If I went with two HD DVRs (so we can record 4 programs at a time) and three HD receivers, I am wondering how much functionality I would give up. Specifically:

- Can I only stream one show from a DVR at a time- we have times when at least 3 of the tivos are watching recorded content and sometimes two are getting recordings from the same Tivo this would potentially be even greater if I gave up 3 tivos in favor of HD receivers.

- How well does the Media sharing work? We watch a LOT of content from teh Media Center PC, so this is very important. Does the D receiver handle as many media formats as the Tivo?

-How much external storage can I add to the DVRs? I currently have 1TB eSata drives on 3 of the 5 tivos.

-What about Netflix and YouTube? Do I have to use PlayOn and give up HD?

-Any other factors I am not considering given my priorities?

Thanks for any answers/suggestions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,864 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

As much as I like DirecTV & the whole home DVR, it doesn't sound like you'll get everything you have now.

You can use 2 TB drives.
You can use YouTube, but not the others.
Each DVR can only stream one recording at a time. This same recording can be played locally on the DVR.
You might be able to get closer to what you need with 3 DVRs & 2 receivers, but you can't "move" recording between DVRs.
I don't use media share, so I can't really comment on it "other than" reading about how it doesn't seem to work as well as others think it should.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   larrsz

larrsz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

As much as I like DirecTV & the whole home DVR, it doesn't sound like you'll get everything you have now.

You can use 2 TB drives.
You can use YouTube, but not the others.
Each DVR can only stream one recording at a time. This same recording can be played locally on the DVR.
You might be able to get closer to what you need with 3 DVRs & 2 receivers, but you can't "move" recording between DVRs.
I don't use media share, so I can't really comment on it "other than" reading about how it doesn't seem to work as well as others think it should.

I don't need to "move" recordings, streaming is fine. However, being able to only stream one show at a time would lead me to the same conclusion that I should go with 3 DVRs. I am still looking at this though. With one DVR fee per account, It appears the next to cheapest package would come in about what I am laying out now but with more channels.

I'll have to give it more thought and I'll need to research the Media share more. Some seem to like it and others really hate it. With the Cinema feature I can probably even live without Netflix streaming. I'll have to check that out as well.
PrimeStar ('95-'96)
DirecTV ('96-'02)
DiSH ('02-'03)
VooM ('03-'05)
Stuck with Cable ('05-xx)

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,134 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

One thing to keep in mind on the external drives. A drive plugged into a DirecTV DVR is essentially locked to that DVR. If the DVR fails, a replacement cannot access the recordings. You'd also lose anything currently on it.

Also, the external drive replaces the internal. So you don't get 2TB+750GB.

Not sure if this is the way it is on Tivo, but worth noting.

#5 OFFLINE   larrsz

larrsz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:05 PM

One thing to keep in mind on the external drives. A drive plugged into a DirecTV DVR is essentially locked to that DVR. If the DVR fails, a replacement cannot access the recordings. You'd also lose anything currently on it.

Also, the external drive replaces the internal. So you don't get 2TB+750GB.

Not sure if this is the way it is on Tivo, but worth noting.

Works the same on Tivo except for the last part. You add the external and internal Tivo storage, but it is capped at 2TB total. The external drive is also married to the tivo so you lose the tivo, you lose all recordings on the internal and external drives...
PrimeStar ('95-'96)
DirecTV ('96-'02)
DiSH ('02-'03)
VooM ('03-'05)
Stuck with Cable ('05-xx)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...