Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2 2011 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4111 replies to this topic

#3841 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

i'll assume D* will not and can not add any more national HD this year! and maybe not even till end of 2012!

well NFL games may end up on turner networks maybe even trutv
http://www.latimes.c...0,6019811.story

if NFL game end up on trutv D* likely will add it in HD very very fast.

Now if VS get it will comcast pull them from D*? and say you want them give us NFL ST.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3842 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:12 PM

i'll assume D* will not and can not add any more national HD this year! and maybe not even till end of 2012!

Wrong on all three points.

We know they have space, so we know they can.
We already have indications of more national HD, so we know they can and likely will.
And if they can and will this year, they already have before the end of 2012.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3843 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

Now if VS get it will comcast pull them from D*? and say you want them give us NFL ST.

I'm expecting TruTV will be in HD on DIRECTV before the new 8 game package shows up.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3844 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:19 PM

Getting really close on giving up on anything new in HD
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#3845 OFFLINE   johnner1999

johnner1999

Legend

• Banned User
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:05 AM

thats the best thing to do - if you want more HD it might be best to switch to your cable company

#3846 OFFLINE   Cable_X

Cable_X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

I anticipate no more HD in Q2 and that this thread will close very "soon".

Yes, close it and start Official Q3 2011 Thread and maybe open Q4, just in case.

:rolleyes:

#3847 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

I have to question all the excuses we accumulate for the delay at acquiring HD versions of channels available. Long term or short, we're getting little that seems to have a profitable market among viewers outside of the sporadic premium channel additions.

How many months/years have folks agreed that BBC-HD is desirable? When a business channel like Bloomberg switches into HD there shouldn't be much problem at making the expansion at D* - but, nothing happens. Both of these channels solicit support from their regular viewers to nudge D* into action - the willingness is certainly there on the side of the content provider.

Or is it simple administrative ennui? The stock is doing well. Let's just count the money.

I mean - I've only been emailing management for a decade or so that the alphabetic list of sports you can use to filter the Guide - has "soccer" before "snowboarding". :)

#3848 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

You held out far longer than I did. I lost hope on new basic HD months ago. Very disappointing.

#3849 OFFLINE   Barmat

Barmat

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:09 AM

Or is it simple administrative ennui? The stock is doing well. Let's just count the money.

The management at D* will never do anything unless it helps their bottom line.
Bedroom - H24>>>Standard Philips CRT TV
Family Room - HR20-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 42"
Living Room - HR34-700>>> Panasonic Plasma 50" HDMI
Office HR20-700>>>> Standard no-name TV
Internet - Comcast
Swm 16-CCK

#3850 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

I want:

BBCA HD
AMC HD
CW HD
Fargo Locals in HD
and anyone know if Sleuth is available in HD? Ive been watching a lot of reruns on that channel lately and would love it in HD.

Oh, and I'd like to jump on the bandwagon of people who dont care about truTV in HD. I watched an episode each of hardcore pawn and storage hunters, and it was like watching Pawn Stars and Storage Wars after someone had taken a....well you know...all over them.

#3851 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

Isn't that how most companies are run today?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3852 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

Isn't that how most companies are run today?

+1

If my post sounds angry, please re-read it with a smile.

#3853 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

I hate to tell you this but..... that is Capitalism 101 and goes for virtually EVERY company in this country. NO company will ever do anything that will HURT their bottom line, besides maybe a few "good will" projects here and there to keep their name in good standing with the public. (Not intentionally, anyways)

Welcome to the Free World. Where companies are actually allowed to.... you know.... make as much profit as they possibly can.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3854 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:39 AM

The article states that this could happen "as early as the 2012 season" which won't be for another 16 months from now. They got plenty of time.

Besides, Turner has shown NBA basketball on TNT in the past, there really is no reason to put any games on TruTV unless they have multiple games going at the same time, and that is not the case with this particular deal.

Don't forget: TNT is still available through analog cable, whereas TruTV has been moved to digital tiers with many cable companies to start freeing up the analog frequency space. (Time Warner and Comcast have done this in various regions, a quick google search revealed)

The NFL will have a say in what channel is being used. With the NCAA they needed 4 stations, and they picked TruTV as one of them..... with this NFL deal, they only need 1.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#3855 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

I anticipate no more HD in Q2 and that this thread will close very "soon".

No, no, no, no!! You are doing it wrong!! The "soon" in this context actually does mean what the Oxford English Dictionary describes as "soon", and we actually have a rough (yet remarkably accurate) time frame as to when this topic closes, and a new topic opens.

The DirecTV's interpretation of "soon", is, and will remain, closer to the description in my signature. It could be "Next week", it could be "Next year".

I am the Stig.

#3856 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Besides, Turner has shown NBA basketball on TNT in the past, there really is no reason to put any games on TruTV unless they have multiple games going at the same time, and that is not the case with this particular deal.

Also, the NFL was on TNT from 1990-1997 when they shared the Sunday Night Football games with ESPN.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#3857 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

The article states that this could happen "as early as the 2012 season" which won't be for another 16 months from now. They got plenty of time.

Don't forget: TNT is still available through analog cable, whereas TruTV has been moved to digital tiers with many cable companies to start freeing up the analog frequency space. (Time Warner and Comcast have done this in various regions, a quick google search revealed)

The NFL will have a say in what channel is being used. With the NCAA they needed 4 stations, and they picked TruTV as one of them..... with this NFL deal, they only need 1.

and the NFL also has the right to force the games to be on OTA tv for the teams local areas as well.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3858 OFFLINE   michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

The other day, I wrote you all to let you know that BBC America chops parts of their programs off in America to make time for commercials. So we only see the edited version on BBC America. I discovered this when I watched part of Outcasts on BBC America and then watched the show again downloaded on my Apple TV. When you download programs, as you know, there are no commercials, thus no chopping out parts of the program. I wrote BBC about this. I would rather watch the unchopped version in HD through my Apple TV, where BBC Programs in HD only cost $1.00 to watch, then watch the program with cuts in it. So when we finally get BBC America in HD, unless we download the programs, we will be watching chopped up programs.

Here is what BBC said in their answer to me;

Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Unfortunately, as you may
or may not know, due to differences between the British and American
television industries as well as scheduling issues, BBC America is
frequently faced with the onerous task of re-editing and formatting
programs before they air, in order to fit American programming clocks.
However, please rest assured that every effort is taken to preserve as
much of the original UK show as possible, given these inescapable
restrictions.

Additionally, please know that BBC America takes the opinions of viewers
such as yourself very seriously and that we will forward your remarks on
to the appropriate department(s).

We thank you again for your comments.

Regards,
Robert
Viewer Relations

#3859 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

I hate to tell you this but..... that is Capitalism 101 and goes for virtually EVERY company in this country. NO company will ever do anything that will HURT their bottom line, besides maybe a few "good will" projects here and there to keep their name in good standing with the public. (Not intentionally, anyways)

Welcome to the Free World. Where companies are actually allowed to.... you know.... make as much profit as they possibly can.

And in this day and age you can't take a long range view, something has to have a pay off now, not 5 or 10 years down the road, even if it's the better decision. Look at all the heat Verizon's taken for spending the money now for the FIOS fiber build out, which will pay off for them in the long term. AT&T on the other hand went with the FTTN and copper to the premise approach to cut down on the capitol outlay, which made their stock holders happy, but now they're limited on what services they can offer to compete with cable.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3860 OFFLINE   Mike4HDTV

Mike4HDTV

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 03:25 PM

I just got a flyer in the mail from D*. It says on 7/27, the following HD channels will be added:

5Starmax HD East - Ch. 520
WMax HD East - Ch. 521
@Max HD East - Ch. 523
HBO2HD West - Ch. 505

Not the channels I want, but it will make someone happy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...