Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2 2011 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4111 replies to this topic

#3941 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:49 AM

I agree with Mr. Bertelson. I think now all that's left are the few "pet channels" that maybe the mainstream doesn't want but we all do.

BTW, this thread will close at the end of the quarter and a new one will open.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#3942 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

I guess you missed the part where these channels were supposed to be added 3+ years ago. Dozens and dozens of national channels were added but the expected premiums were a no show. Now that they’re finally being added everyone is complaining. It’s about time they got around to making these additions.

It had to happen at some time so what’s wrong with now? Why is it un-balanced when after 100+ other channels were added the premiums are finally showing up...albeit three years late?

IMHO, it’s a bit more balanced than it was before.

Mike

You make a good point Mike. Ok
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#3943 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

BTW, this thread will close at the end of the quarter and a new one will open.

Can't wait, then we get to rehash all of this again in a new thread. :soapbox: :icon_hroc

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#3944 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

Can't wait, then we get to rehash all of this again in a new thread. :soapbox: :icon_hroc

That's a pretty likely scenario.

The good news is that 3Q should actually see some new HD offerings.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3945 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,260 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:10 AM

Even if DirecTV offered every single HD channel in existence people would still find something about which to complain.

Somethings!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3946 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

2010 was the year for Basic HD.
2011 is the year for Premium HD.
2012 is a year where many new RSN's launch.
2013, back to Basic HD again.

Balance. ;)

There's nothing special about a given year, let alone what your listing says about 2010 and 2011, and what you figure 2012 and 2013 will be representing. Every year is a year to maintain relevancy, to remain competitive.

By the time 2013 arrives, and if DirecTV actually acts by then with adding in HD its inexusably overdue missing basics (which should have been rolled out with D12), then one can also — if one so chooses — spend his/her time reflecting on how much longer competition has been carrying the likes of: AMC HD, BBCAM HD, TCM HD, HLN HD, E! HD, Style HD, HInt'l HD, LMN HD, etc.

No disrespect to you — it's silly.

#3947 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:21 AM

Even if DirecTV offered every single HD channel in existence people would still find something about which to complain.

Is this the issue with you?

That there are people/posters who complain?

#3948 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:23 AM

My issue is people like you who always say "the competition has the HD channels I want and D* doesn't" but refuse to switch. Just doesn't make any sense.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#3949 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,889 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

There are those who complain and then there are our in-house whiners. ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3950 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:25 AM

Discuss the topic and not each other.

Take your bickering to PM people.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3951 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

That's a pretty likely scenario.

The good news is that 3Q should actually see some new HD offerings.

We can hope for more basic hd as we hoped for it at the beginning of this quarter. Yes, you said hd, not basic, but we hope.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#3952 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,076 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

We can hope for more basic hd as we hoped for it at the beginning of this quarter. Yes, you said hd, not basic, but we hope.

Of course...not to mention "anticipate" more... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3953 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

You forget these channels were expected three years ago and it didn’t happen. All while national channels kept getting added.

Since those channels were expected in '08 I would think this is finally what...oh yes...Balance. :D

Mike

No!

It's not balance.

And it's not meeting demand. Demand for more HD, which starts with the basics before one can get access to the premiums: AMC HD, BBCAM HD, TCM HD, and on and on. (We would not be getting TruTV HD on or by Dec. 31, 2011 had it not been for last March's games. No deal to add TruTV HD would have been made had those games been broadcast with another channel already carried in hi def.)

By balance — or the semblance of such — DirecTV could have done this: out of, say, ten channels in all, just about a half-and-half additions would have been "basics" and "premiums" HD. Wouldn't even have to be equally split. There was no nothing when it came to balance.

Telling us that the multiscreens of HBOs and MAXes are about complete is — I respectfully disagree with you! — telling us that they are (or almost) complete. Three years after they were expected. (And now more preferred or priority with DirecTV than in meeting the demand of a, say, AMC HD.)

There is nothing to be impressed with here!

#3954 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Missing "Basics"…
204 HLN HD
230 DIY HD
232 COOK HD
233 GSN HD
235 Style HD
236 E! HD
238 REELZ HD
240 HSN HD
*246 TruTV HD
251 OXYGEN HD
253 LMN HD
254 AMC HD
256 TCM HD
258 FMC HD
260 We HD
264 BBCAM HD
271 HInt'l HD
272 LOGO HD
273 TVGN HD
274 OVAT HD
275 QVC HD
279 OWN HD
283 NGWILD HD
285 ID HD
289 NASA HD
294 TheHub HD
295 SPROUT HD
313 JTV HD
328 TVONE HD
330 CENTRC HD
333 MTV2 HD
338 gmc HD
339 Fuse HD
345 RFD HD
350 CSPAN HD
351 CSPAN2 HD
353 BLOOM HD
370 EWTN HD
371 TCC HD
372 TBN HD
377 TCT HD

404 GALA HD
559 IFC HD
605 SPRTSM HD
606 OUTCH HD

*Scheduled to be added by DirecTV before the conclusion of 2011.
MTV2 HD is, according to Wikipedia.org, scheduled for launch in September 2011.

#3955 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

No!

It's not balance.

And it's not meeting demand. Demand for more HD, which starts with the basics before one can get access to the premiums: AMC HD, BBCAM HD, TCM HD, and on and on. (We would not be getting TruTV HD on or by Dec. 31, 2011 had it not been for last March's games. No deal to add TruTV HD would have been made had those games been broadcast with another channel already carried in hi def.)

By balance — or the semblance of such — DirecTV could have done this: out of, say, ten channels in all, just about a half-and-half additions would have been "basics" and "premiums" HD. Wouldn't even have to be equally split. There was no nothing when it came to balance.

Telling us that the multiscreens of HBOs and MAXes are about complete is — I respectfully disagree with you! — telling us that they are (or almost) complete. Three years after they were expected. (And now more preferred or priority with DirecTV than in meeting the demand of a, say, AMC HD.)

You're missing the point. D* officially announced more HBO/Max by September 2007 but didn't deliver til this year. They basically wrote an IOU and finally paid it off 4 years late.

There's never been anything official from D* saying they're going to add the basics you mention by a certain date so technically they NOT "long overdue".

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#3956 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

I agree with Mr. Bertelson.

Of course.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#3957 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:09 AM

No!

It's not balance.

Let’s reverse this for a second. First there was a press release (see marrtena’s post above) that said, among other things, the following...

In addition to the HBO (East) HD channel it currently offers, DIRECTV will launch the following HBO/Cinemax channels in full-time HD: HBO West, HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, Cinemax East, Cinemax West and MoreMax. The channels will begin rolling out in September and continue to launch through the rest of the year. DIRECTV currently carries each of these channels in standard-definition.

This press release was dated June 13, 2007 and I expected to have these channels over three years ago. I waited patiently while there were dozens of “basic” national HD channels were added. As far as I’m concerned it’s finally time to deliver these promised channels.

I’m sorry you feel it’s unreasonable but I think it’s completely fair that the HBO/Max channels were announced in a 2007 press release are finally delivered ahead of other channels that didn’t even exist at the time. I considered it more balanced now...I’m just sayin’ :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#3958 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,889 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

Let’s reverse this for a second. First there was a press release (see marrtena’s post above) that said, among other things, the following...

In addition to the HBO (East) HD channel it currently offers, DIRECTV will launch the following HBO/Cinemax channels in full-time HD: HBO West, HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, Cinemax East, Cinemax West and MoreMax. The channels will begin rolling out in September and continue to launch through the rest of the year. DIRECTV currently carries each of these channels in standard-definition.

This press release was dated June 13, 2007 and I expected to have these channels over three years ago. I waited patiently while there were dozens of “basic” national HD channels were added. As far as I’m concerned it’s finally time to deliver these promised channels.

I’m sorry you feel it’s unreasonable but I think it’s completely fair that the HBO/Max channels were announced in a 2007 press release are finally delivered ahead of other channels that didn’t even exist at the time. I considered it more balanced now...I’m just sayin’ :grin:

Mike

As a Premier subscriber I couldn't agree more.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3959 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:21 AM

If one is hoping for "daily balance", the only suggestions I have are V-8 or a good multi-vitamin. :)

If one is hoping for quarterly balance try taking ballet. :)

IF one is hoping for yearly balance, try living in a climate with four full seaons. :)

Over the past 4 years DIRECTV has added many nationals, some basic, some extra pack, some Premiums. I've said it before and I'll probably say it again in the next thread, the channels have come in focuses. Maartena's post wasn't too far off,at least from the historical perspective.

More HD is coming. After the next round of premiums, I'm expecting some more from the "more basic" channel groupings. And likely some for the extra pack. And some RSNs (mostly now that the courts have upheld the FCCs requirement that all providers be allowed to carry terrestrial only channels.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#3960 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 941 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Let’s reverse this for a second.…

Mike

No harm in different perspectives. So I'll unnecessarily reiterate: Bringing in those long overdue multiscreen HBO and Cinemax premiums — okay, better late than never (even four years late!). DirecTV's continuation — and it is deliberate — to fail to bring in long overdue HD "basics" such as: AMC HD, BBCAM HD, TCM HD, HLN HD, E! HD, Style HD, HInt'l HD, LMN HD. (At least one of those eight could be added.) There's no excusing that.

I've dismissed all notions that DirecTV can be let off the hook for its failure to add — other than TruTV HD — any of the 40-plus missing "basics" I have listed in posting #3954. (Especially when cable providers and Dish Network have a good 15 or 20 of those already in their lineups. Including AMC HD.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...