Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA Broadband adapter questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

hi everyone!

I really did try to do a search and see if this question was asked already, but I just couldn't find it, so forgive me, please, if this has been covered.

I have 2 HD-DVRs, an HR21 (Living Room) and an HR22 (Office).

I bought 2 DECA1MR0-01 Connected home Adapters (the white boxes that connect to the DVR unit) and 1 DECA Broadband adapter to keep everything connected to the Internet.

Originally, I was going to connect the DECA Home Adapters inbetween into each DVR and then connect the coax into the adapters, so the white boxes would be inbetween the dish and the DVR unit. Pretty straightforward.

Then, I was going to use a splitter to split the coax from the dish. 1 coax would go into the SWM module, the other would go into the broadband adapter. I was then going to plug the ethernet cable from the adapter into my router.

My questions:

1 - It sounds like I need to unplug the ethernet cables from my DVRs that are currently going into routers since I am already getting IP addresses from the broadband adapter. Is this correct?

2 - Do I need to plug in the ethernet cables from the white DECA adaptors into the top ehternet port of each unit? No, right, since they are getting the ethernet signal from the coax?

3 - Do I really need the broadband adaptor if both units are already plugged into the Internet via the routers?

Thank you so much for your help!

best,
mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,387 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

You seem to have two options:

• use your ethernet and skip DECA
  • convert to DECA and connect the ethernet from the receiver to the DECA on each receiver and then use the BB DECA for the internet bridging to your router.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thank you--

1 - I tried straight ethernet...well, I couldn't do ethernet and I was having stuttering issues via wi-fi, hence the DECA.

2 - that sounds good, I will do that--but I still need to do the splitter with the broadband adapter, correct?

thank you so much for your response.

-mike

#4 OFFLINE   paul91

paul91

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

1. Yes unplug your current ethernet cables

2. yes plug the small ethernet cable from the deca to top port (port 1) on each dvr

3. yes you still need a deca for the internet. when you unplug the current ethernet you wont have internet then, the deca "injects" internet throught the coax and the deca splits it back out near the receiver.

if you have swm then you will have a splitter, get a cable from that splitter to your internet deca and that will give you internet for both hddvrs

hi everyone!

I really did try to do a search and see if this question was asked already, but I just couldn't find it, so forgive me, please, if this has been covered.

I have 2 HD-DVRs, an HR21 (Living Room) and an HR22 (Office).

I bought 2 DECA1MR0-01 Connected home Adapters (the white boxes that connect to the DVR unit) and 1 DECA Broadband adapter to keep everything connected to the Internet.

Originally, I was going to connect the DECA Home Adapters inbetween into each DVR and then connect the coax into the adapters, so the white boxes would be inbetween the dish and the DVR unit. Pretty straightforward.

Then, I was going to use a splitter to split the coax from the dish. 1 coax would go into the SWM module, the other would go into the broadband adapter. I was then going to plug the ethernet cable from the adapter into my router.

My questions:

1 - It sounds like I need to unplug the ethernet cables from my DVRs that are currently going into routers since I am already getting IP addresses from the broadband adapter. Is this correct?

2 - Do I need to plug in the ethernet cables from the white DECA adaptors into the top ehternet port of each unit? No, right, since they are getting the ethernet signal from the coax?

3 - Do I really need the broadband adaptor if both units are already plugged into the Internet via the routers?

Thank you so much for your help!

best,
mike

HR34-700
HR24-500 x 3
HR24-100
HR24-200
HR21-200 PRO
SWM16/DECA

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,387 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thank you--

1 - I tried straight ethernet...well, I couldn't do ethernet and I was having stuttering issues via wi-fi, hence the DECA.

2 - that sounds good, I will do that--but I still need to do the splitter with the broadband adapter, correct?

thank you so much for your response.

-mike

You'll need to connect it to the coax. You can either get/find a coax from the splitter for this or use a 2-way splitter off one of the coax you have running to a receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

Fantastic, thank you so much for your help, everyone. My wife has been really irritated by the stuttering and I am hoping this brings some relief...for both us us!

I will let you know how it goes.

-mike!

#7 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

hi--
quick quick followup. Does the splitter come before the SWM box or after? I think it comes before, so after the splitter there is one coax that goes to the SWM box and the other cable goes to the broadband adaptor, as per this diagram.

Posted Image

thank you!
mike

#8 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,387 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

If I follow your diagram "exactly", it doesn't work because the PI isn't connected to the power passing port of the splitter, but "other than that", you've got the right idea. Also know that there is another splitter that you're not showing and the PI still needs to be connected to the power passing port of it too.
These are marked with a red center.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

forgive my ignorance, but the "PI"--is that the power adaptor? The broadband adapter (it's black) has a power adapter for it...

thanks,
mike

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,387 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

forgive my ignorance, but the "PI"--is that the power adaptor? The broadband adapter (it's black) has a power adapter for it...

thanks,
mike

Power Inserter, for the SWiM. It too is black in most cases, as seen here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1278904414
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

oh, whew--I do have that "PI" - I was labelling my "SWM Module" erroneously, I guess. Just realized I got the wrong kind of splitter but picking the right one up later today.

thank you!
mike

#12 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

hi all--

I just hooked it up and it works great! I had the line coming out of the SWM (I guess I should call it the "PI") into the appropriate (labelled) input in the splitter, then made sure to plug the line that needed the power (the one that was previously plugged into the PI) into the output on the splitter that was labelled as the one that "carried" the power, plugged the BB adapter into one of other non powered outputs, then put the DECA converters on each of the DVRs, plugged in the ethernet cables from the DECA boxes into the top ethernet jacks in the DVRs, powered the PI, then the BB adapter, then the DVRs...and it all worked great.

Thanks for your help with this!

all my best,
mike

here's the final diagram (thanks for the corrections, VOS!):
Posted Image

Edited by mikeromo, 22 March 2011 - 12:41 AM.
added diagram

spam firewall