Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Wireless adapter needed for wrt54g connection

vizio

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dogridges

dogridges

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi, I am new to this so I will try to explain. I have an HR22 dvr and want to connect it to a Lynksys wrt54g router. I have seen a WGA54g gaming network adapter that I was told would work. I wonder if this is the best choice. I don't have a strong signal in the house due to living at the end of the ?high speed phone line service in the mountains of VA. I know it may take longer for downloads but my tv is a long way from the router. Thanks for info or suggestions.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Hi, I am new to this so I will try to explain. I have an HR22 dvr and want to connect it to a Lynksys wrt54g router. I have seen a WGA54g gaming network adapter that I was told would work. I wonder if this is the best choice. I don't have a strong signal in the house due to living at the end of the ?high speed phone line service in the mountains of VA. I know it may take longer for downloads but my tv is a long way from the router. Thanks for info or suggestions.

:welcome_s to dbstalk

If you use the WGA600n adaptor the DVR will allow you to set up security settings on the DVR. They are all over the auction sites.
However the WRT54g isn't a great choice. Its only a G router. You want an N router. Grab one with N on 2.4ghz since you have a range issue and that will give you the best range and opportunity for a faster d/l.

#3 OFFLINE   dogridges

dogridges

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

So WGA54g isn't a good adapter because of setup problems? The wga600n will work with the wrt54g but I will get a stronger signal with a newer n model router. I hope that is what you are saying. I am not very tech savvy. Thanks for helping.

#4 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:50 AM

The WGA54G would be a fine choice for that router. No need for N speeds yet, especially since your router and internet provider aren't even capable of obtaining those speeds. N is required for speeds over 54Mb/s, so a G adapter going up to 54Mb/s will be more than sufficient. Only difference at this point would be an increase in range with an N adapter coupled with an N router. G is about 100ft whereas N is about 220ft.

I have the WGA54G vers. 2 running on my DSL line of 6Mb/s and watch movies just fine on demand and netflix. Best place to buy a WGA54G is eBay for about $20 average. Just make sure you get one with vers. 2, more security with WPA AES. Also, download the newest install software from linksys website.

#5 OFFLINE   dogridges

dogridges

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:28 AM

I can get the WAP 54g. The distance is not that far and the speed is slow. My question is now how do I hook it up. Does the dvr download the software when I hook it up or do I need to use I download does the dvr ask for the update from lynksys when I hook it up. I will definitely get version 2 when I look for it. I have been looking on ebay for both. The 54g is cheaper to buy even new. I doubt I can get faster service from the ISP for quite a while back here in the mountains. You are the best to help calm my fears in buying the wrong thing.

#6 OFFLINE   dogridges

dogridges

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

Sorry I meant the WGA54g not WAP. OOPS

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

:welcome_s to dbstalk

If you use the WGA600n adaptor the DVR will allow you to set up security settings on the DVR. They are all over the auction sites.
However the WRT54g isn't a great choice. Its only a G router. You want an N router. Grab one with N on 2.4ghz since you have a range issue and that will give you the best range and opportunity for a faster d/l.

I respectfully disagree with the above. Wireless-N offers the potential for greater range but having switched from a WRT54G to a WRT310N I found the WRT54G had better range and better performance at the edge of its range. Changing the firmware made a difference, and eventually removing all 802.11g equipment from the WLAN, changing the channel width and going N-only gave me much better range... but routers aren't configured out of the box that way.

Add to that, an 802.11g router is more than sufficient to serve any internet connection found in the home.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   dogridges

dogridges

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

I plan on buying the wga54g. I will let you know how it goes when I try to connect it. And I will get version 2. Thanks so much for all your input. I will keep reading if anyone else wants to weigh in on the topic. I may need help when I connect it. And I still want to know how to update the gaming adapter when I get it. I will go to Lynksys and get help.

#9 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

I respectfully disagree with the above. Wireless-N offers the potential for greater range but having switched from a WRT54G to a WRT310N I found the WRT54G had better range and better performance at the edge of its range. Changing the firmware made a difference, and eventually removing all 802.11g equipment from the WLAN, changing the channel width and going N-only gave me much better range... but routers aren't configured out of the box that way.

Add to that, an 802.11g router is more than sufficient to serve any internet connection found in the home.

I think sometimes we sometime mixup G vs N and confuse the two different bands of 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

N is faster than G. G tops out at 54mbps, under ideal close range conditions.
2.4ghz is better for range vs 5ghz.

I was trying to make the point that N at 2.4ghz is the best choice. Best speed/best range combo, usually.

Also, the 54mbps is ideal and more than enough when one can have the two devices close by. But if you stretch across a home, that can drop to 2mbps quickly.

To make any purchases by the OP and be G only, is limiting. Particulary if WHDVR service is ever introduced (without DECA of course). By connecting a G only WGA to a DVR, the WHDVR HD performance may be unusable. From experience using G devices, N devices and dual band routers, a N 2.4ghz device is typically the best solution.

#10 OFFLINE   MONSTERMAN

MONSTERMAN

Godfather

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

I plan on buying the wga54g. I will let you know how it goes when I try to connect it. And I will get version 2. Thanks so much for all your input. I will keep reading if anyone else wants to weigh in on the topic. I may need help when I connect it. And I still want to know how to update the gaming adapter when I get it. I will go to Lynksys and get help.

Good choice and they are cheap, I've had my 2 WGA54g's for years now with zero problems. When or if you ever decide to upgrade your router to N or your IP ever does, that would be a good time to upgrade to an N adapter/access point.

If buying new from eBay (choosing a high feedback rating seller), make sure the box is open b/c there is no other way to tell version # other than looking on the back of the adapter after the WGA54G vers.2 or 2.1. There is no difference between the vers 2 or vers 2.1, only that the 2.1 was made for the European market. Both of these versions have WPA AES which is a great security protocol.

After downloading the setup wizard from linksys (not the firmware version) under downloads and selecting hardware version 2.0 it will walk you through the install process. I would download this version from linksys even if your adapter comes with a cd.

http://homesupport.c...less/lbc/WGA54G

If changing to WPA AES on the adapter you will also need to configure your router settings for WPA / WPA2 Personal + AES.

Linksys also has a live chat feature that will walk you through the process.

You will also have to initially setup you DVR for internet connectivity. There are writeups on this forum on how to do that. I setup everything on my network (router, adapters, DVR's, BLURAY DVD players) to use a static ip address on everyone which I find to be the most reliable/stable and easiest to configure.

#11 OFFLINE   dogridges

dogridges

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

I am getting this now. I appreciate the input. Since my router in my office is less than 20 feet from the living room where the adapter will connect to the dvr, I feel that the g should work ok. It will save me money until the next big thing comes in. Thanks again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...