Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ROKU new and old users?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scredsfan

scredsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

I just jumped on the Netflix wagon train, and now I'm seriously considering buying a roku device. Specifically, I'm looking at the XD|S model with optical audio output. Are there any new or experienced ROKU users out there who love it? hate it? wish it were better?
System:
-Samsung LN52B750 52" 1080p HDTV
- One Dish Hopper, one Joey
-Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

I own a Roku and overall for the cost I am very impressed. It's simple to operate and you can watch Netflix as you said. But you can also watch Al Jezera English, MLB (if you have the mlb online package), listen to Pandora radio, Hulu Plus, etc. It's pretty simple to set up and operate. I was quickly able to explain the operation to my family. I have used the ease of use with Netflifx much better than XBox.

#3 ONLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

I have the Roku HD, works well, easy to set up and use. To watch HD content, from Netflix, you need at least 5.0 high speed connection. I have noticed, in the past few weeks that the Netflix srvers can get busy and the PQ can drop from HD back to SD. Seems to only do it during peak hours. I have checked my line speed when this happens and my end has been good each time this drop off occurs.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

We've had the original Roku (equivelant to the current Roku HD) for over two years. We love it. It's a great little device that delivers a LOT of bang for the buck.

Our favorite channels:

Netflix
MLB.tv
Crunchyroll (for Anime)
Flixter (for movie trailers)
TuneIn Radio

Edited by Reaper, 23 March 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

I have two XDS boxes and love them. Far better Netflix interface than our bluray player, hundreds of other channels, thousands of shows, Youtube in HD. Lots of deals on rentals from Amazon also. We have friends in Japan and have been able to watch live streams from NHK (English) since the earthquake. It is not a replacement for satellite or cable but a great addition.

#6 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

I picked up an HD box about 3 months ago and love it. Like others have said, they are super easy to use. The only issue I had was a bad firmware Roku released in November (I think it was November). Basically, the thing rebooted at least once every time I tried to watch anything from NetFlix. Roku fixed the issue with a firmware update and I haven't had a reboot since then.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#7 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

I just jumped on the Netflix wagon train, and now I'm seriously considering buying a roku device. Specifically, I'm looking at the XD|S model with optical audio output. Are there any new or experienced ROKU users out there who love it? hate it? wish it were better?

Had my Roku XDS for a couple months now...works like a charm.
It's a no-brainer...just do it. :icon_bb:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   A_Bear

A_Bear

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

I am also looking at getting a Roku box, any model that is not recommended?

#9 OFFLINE   BodyshotsByDan

BodyshotsByDan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

New Roku 2s kinda suck because they don't have as much connectivity as the old boxes. Sure, on the expensive ones you can play Angry Birds, but you can play that pretty much anywhere so who needs to spend $150 for it.

If you have spare HDMI ports, or you are gonna plug it into Component connections, then the new Roku2 cheap one is fine. If you need Composite or S-Video, try finding an old box, they still work fine :) My mother has been using the one I bought her for X-mas a few years ago on an almost daily basis.
Dish Network 2x VIP722k,
1x VIP722, VIP625
Top 250 + HD/Platinum
Dish subscriber for 6+ years,
DirectTV DVRer before that, COX DVRer before that
Original ReplyTV owner, boy I miss that thing.

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

I bought a Panny DMP-BDT110 instead.

Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, Amazon, Skype and is an excellent Blu Ray player (including 3D and 2D to 3D conversion, if you like). All for less than $100.

Edited by spartanstew, 28 July 2011 - 05:24 PM.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

I love my ROKU never had any problems and easy to use

JACK,

#12 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

I bought a Panny DMP-BDT110 instead.

Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, Amazon, Skype and is an excellent Blu Ray player (including 3D and 2D to 3D conversion, if you like). All for less than $100.

+1
And if you sell the included (via mail) Avatar 3D disc on Amazon for $100, the player is free! Mine sold on ebay a few months back within a couple of hours for $120.

It doesn't have as many streaming options as Roku, but has the major ones as spartanstew said. One minor correction though, the Panny has Vudu, not Hulu. They keep promising Hulu, but it hasn't happened yet.

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

One minor correction though, the Panny has Vudu, not Hulu. They keep promising Hulu, but it hasn't happened yet.

Oops, yes, my bad.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

I have the Roku HD, works well, easy to set up and use. To watch HD content, from Netflix, you need at least 5.0 high speed connection. I have noticed, in the past few weeks that the Netflix srvers can get busy and the PQ can drop from HD back to SD. Seems to only do it during peak hours. I have checked my line speed when this happens and my end has been good each time this drop off occurs.

By "HD", do you mean the 720p content or did they finally get 1080p? Haven't used my last one in a while.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,635 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

I had three Rokus, sold two of them as soon as I found out that the Samsung BD player, model 5500 upscales NetFlix content much better than any other device I've used. I've tried the Rokus, Apple TVs, Sony BD players, the Panny BD65 and the 110 and, while I have found a lot to dislike about the 5500s the PQ is simply better than any others I've tried. And in the end, isn't that what really counts?

Try putting an old 4:3 TV program such as Cheers or the first seasons of L&O:SUV on any of the devices I've listed above and you'll see a washed out, fuzzy picture. On the Sammy 5500s, you see an upscaled picture (still 4:3) with vibrant colors. Puts out great upscaling when using standard DVDs too.

I'd never buy another Roku.

The 5500s cost $93 today on Amazon. Just give it a try, you can always return it.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

I’m an Apple TV2 guy. However, those new Roku2 players sure look nice.

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,973 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

I had three Rokus, sold two of them as soon as I found out that the Samsung BD player, model 5500 upscales NetFlix content much better than any other device I've used. I've tried the Rokus, Apple TVs, Sony BD players, the Panny BD65 and the 110 and, while I have found a lot to dislike about the 5500s the PQ is simply better than any others I've tried. And in the end, isn't that what really counts?

Try putting an old 4:3 TV program such as Cheers or the first seasons of L&O:SUV on any of the devices I've listed above and you'll see a washed out, fuzzy picture. On the Sammy 5500s, you see an upscaled picture (still 4:3) with vibrant colors. Puts out great upscaling when using standard DVDs too.

I'd never buy another Roku.

The 5500s cost $93 today on Amazon. Just give it a try, you can always return it.

Rich

I want to try one just because you seem to hype it up so much. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,665 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Had my Roku XDS for a couple months now...works like a charm.
It's a no-brainer...just do it. :icon_bb:

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

I want to try one just because you seem to hype it up so much. ;)

Doesn't your Oppo BDP-93 support Netflix? I'd guess that would have the best Netflix A/V quality out of any player on the market.

#20 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,973 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Doesn't your Oppo BDP-93 support Netflix? I'd guess that would have the best Netflix A/V quality out of any player on the market.

Netflix isn't providing them the same stream as they do for other brands. Apparently, the PS3 has the best A/V for current Netflix streaming. This is the one "drawback" of the Oppo. It's not bad by any means, in fact, it's very good. Vudu is freaking beautiful on it. I used a free credit for Limitless and was amazed.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...