Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ROKU new and old users?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

I want to try one just because you seem to hype it up so much. ;)

I really don't like Sammy products, so you can be sure that I'm not making this up. There's still a lot to dislike about the 5500s. The remote is almost impossible to use by feel in a dark room, the counters on the front of the displays just stop sometimes. Don't know why, but it keeps happening. I can't get sound sometimes if I switch from playing a disc to NetFlix streaming content. Have to shut them down and start all over. Sounds like a piece of junk, doesn't it? But the PQ is well worth all those problems. Best I've ever had.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

Netflix isn't providing them the same stream as they do for other brands. Apparently, the PS3 has the best A/V for current Netflix streaming. This is the one "drawback" of the Oppo. It's not bad by any means, in fact, it's very good. Vudu is freaking beautiful on it. I used a free credit for Limitless and was amazed.

Wow, I din't know Netflix had multiple streams. The Netflix quality on my Apple TV2 is pretty darn good. To me it looked a tad better than my Roku HD. PS3 quality must be phenomenal. :new_Eyecr

#23 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

I have the Roku HD, works well, easy to set up and use. To watch HD content, from Netflix, you need at least 5.0 high speed connection. I have noticed, in the past few weeks that the Netflix srvers can get busy and the PQ can drop from HD back to SD. Seems to only do it during peak hours. I have checked my line speed when this happens and my end has been good each time this drop off occurs.

That is why I get DVDs in the Mail from Netflix so as to Not Be Compromised when it comes to Quality Audio & Video!!! :)

I have ROKU but never seem to have the time to use it or I don't even think about it but then again I have 13,000 Gigabytes of Storage Capacity on my 7 DVRs so that may explain it.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

That is why I get DVDs in the Mail from Netflix so as to Not Be Compromised when it comes to Quality Audio & Video!!! :)

If you don't want to be compromised, you should try Blu Ray. ;)

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#25 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

If you don't want to be compromised, you should try Blu Ray. ;)

That's what I get from Netflix Bluray DVDs!!! :D

I have the LG Bluray DVD Player with a 250 Gig Hard Drive (Model BD950) and it has Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, Hulu, Cinema Now, etc.

Edited by Richierich, 29 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

Wow, I din't know Netflix had multiple streams. The Netflix quality on my Apple TV2 is pretty darn good. To me it looked a tad better than my Roku HD. PS3 quality must be phenomenal. :new_Eyecr

They are both 720p. Your OPPO should upscale that to 1080/60p. You should get a better PQ on the OPPO than you do on a Roku or Apple box. I do. By far.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   jameskelly

jameskelly

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

I have it about eight months now, and it is pretty nice. No issues at all. I have the XD version. There are a lot a channels to choose from. Some are junk though. The biggest ones are Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Crackle. Rotten Tomatoes is a movie trailer preview channel of what is coming soon. It's pretty nice. Also NASA is in HD. Enjoy.

#28 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

I have a ROKU XDS, Apple TV, Panny Blu-Ray player and Sony Bravia with built in "channels".

The ROKU is pretty much the best for versatility and access. Lots to choose from.

I must admit though, I am starting to use the Sony Bravia streaming capabilities (Netflix, Amazon VOD, etc) more and more. Because there are no cables and external boxes involved, the PQ wins hand down.

The Apple TV is good for ease of use but there are not as many channels to choose from.

The Panny Blu-Ray player is great but navigation is a bit cumbersome.

If I had a choice between all of them, I would still choose the ROKU. It's just an all around good box for streaming stuff.

#29 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

They are both 720p. Your OPPO should upscale that to 1080/60p. You should get a better PQ on the OPPO than you do on a Roku or Apple box. I do. By far.

Rich

I'm currently old school. I have the Oppo BDP-83.

Soon I will have the BDP-93. I'll buy the 93 around the time I upgrade my TV.

Currently I'm feeding the Apple TV2 through my Faroudja HD video scaler. Picture quality is pretty darn good too.

#30 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

Rich

The new Roku 2 XS and XD stream Netflix at 1080p like the PS3. So the Roku 2 beats Oppo for Netflix PQ.

#31 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

I really don't like Sammy products, so you can be sure that I'm not making this up. There's still a lot to dislike about the 5500s. The remote is almost impossible to use by feel in a dark room, the counters on the front of the displays just stop sometimes. Don't know why, but it keeps happening. I can't get sound sometimes if I switch from playing a disc to NetFlix streaming content. Have to shut them down and start all over. Sounds like a piece of junk, doesn't it? But the PQ is well worth all those problems. Best I've ever had.

Rich

Looks interesting. just 2 questions. Does it have a " front" usb port, and can I play AVI' movie files on this model? I currently have a sam that does, but I was looking for a BD that upscales regular DVD's. If it can't play the avi's it is a dealbreaker for me. Yes, alot of sams have alot of quircky issues, but the PQ is very good.

thanks in advance

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Looks interesting. just 2 questions. Does it have a " front" usb port, and can I play AVI' movie files on this model? I currently have a sam that does, but I was looking for a BD that upscales regular DVD's. If it can't play the avi's it is a dealbreaker for me. Yes, alot of sams have alot of quircky issues, but the PQ is very good.

thanks in advance

Aw, now I gotta get up and look, wait one...yup, it does have a USB port in the front panel. I opened the flap to look at it and the Sammy turned itself, my TV and my AV system on... :lol:

About the AVI movie files. I have no idea what they are, but here's a
link to the 5500 I have, perhaps you can figure that out or call them and ask them. There is also a BD-D5500 out now that does 3D.

I can't say enough about how well the C5500 I have upscales standard DVDs and NetFlix content. I would think the D5500 does as well.

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Aw, now I gotta get up and look, wait one...yup, it does have a USB port in the front panel. I opened the flap to look at it and the Sammy turned itself, my TV and my AV system on... :lol:

About the AVI movie files. I have no idea what they are, but here's a
link to the 5500 I have, perhaps you can figure that out or call them and ask them. There is also a BD-D5500 out now that does 3D.

I can't say enough about how well the C5500 I have upscales standard DVDs and NetFlix content. I would think the D5500 does as well.

Rich

AVI is a type of file you can load on a usb stick and play it back. This is how I watch video's from Graboid. My current samy has a front usb and plays these files back like a dream.

Thanks for checking, seriously, did opening up the front panel fire it up?

I guess I will have to call or do a google search, as it lists many, but I need to be sure..............[ about the AVI"S]

Edited by satcrazy, 09 December 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

AVI is a type of file you can load on a usb stick and play it back. This is how I watch video's from Graboid. My current samy has a front usb and plays these files back like a dream.

So much I don't know...Thanx for explaining.

Thanks for checking, seriously, did opening up the front panel fire it up?

Seriously, it sure did. Just one of the many odd things I've seen it do. And when the BD player comes on, the TV comes on and the AV system comes on. I've learned to live with this thing because it does it's basic job so well.

I guess I will have to call or do a google search, as it lists many, but I need to be sure..............[ about the AVI"S]

You could try calling them up, that should be a confidence builder....:lol:

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

So much I don't know...Thanx for explaining.

Seriously, it sure did. Just one of the many odd things I've seen it do. And when the BD player comes on, the TV comes on and the AV system comes on. I've learned to live with this thing because it does it's basic job so well.

You could try calling them up, that should be a confidence builder....:lol:

Rich

According to a google search [ yeah, I heard about the CS at samsung, lol] It does support AVI's, so does the d5500.

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

According to a google search [ yeah, I heard about the CS at samsung, lol] It does support AVI's, so does the d5500.

That D5500 isn't getting the good reviews that the D5700 is getting. Don't know how much you can go by the reviews, but I have read a lot of them and some seemed like the reviewer knew what he was talking about. Wish I had a link to some of them. Amazon's reviews seem to liberally sprinkled with reviews by people who don't have a clue, so I usually take them with a grain of salt.

Rich

#37 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

That D5500 isn't getting the good reviews that the D5700 is getting. Don't know how much you can go by the reviews, but I have read a lot of them and some seemed like the reviewer knew what he was talking about. Wish I had a link to some of them. Amazon's reviews seem to liberally sprinkled with reviews by people who don't have a clue, so I usually take them with a grain of salt.

Rich

OK, assuming they all play AVI's by front usb port, I would ask which one does the best upscaling of standard DVD's ? I don't stream as my dsl is too slow, so that's a non issue for me. I just don't want to have to replace all my regular dvds.

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

OK, assuming they all play AVI's by front usb port, I would ask which one does the best upscaling of standard DVD's ? I don't stream as my dsl is too slow, so that's a non issue for me. I just don't want to have to replace all my regular dvds.

Most of the reviews I've read raved about the upscaling on DVDs and NetFlix content. That was pretty much the same across the board on the Sammys. From the most expensive to the cheapest. I only have experience with the C5500s, but I need another one and I'm trying to decide between the D5500 and the D5700.

Apparently, they all use the same remote, so buying a newer model doesn't resolve those issues.

If I didn't have a NetFlix sub, I'd be happy with a Panasonic. They seem to upscale standard DVDs as well as the Sammys do, it's in the NetFlix content that you really see the upscaling difference. The remote on the Pannys is a bit of a PITA, too. Not nearly as bad as the Sammy remote, tho.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

Thanks rich.

#40 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:58 AM

I have had the XDS for about a year. I am very satisfied. Anytime I have had a question that I am unable to find the answer, the support group is first class and very prompt in responding. Not sure about the .avi file compatiblity. Good question. I know of a software product you can install on a pc and it will play .avi wirelessly to the Roku.
"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...