Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2000' TV Tower Collapse; WEAU, Wisconsin

midnight lounge

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

http://www.chicagotr...,0,530229.story

While the station works to rebound from the collapse of their 35-year-old landmark, the incident works to highlight the ways in which recent technology has significantly changed the way WEAU reaches its community. Less than a day after the 2,500-foot tower was reduced to 25 feet worth of wreckage, WEAU was back on the air thanks to online streaming and digital broadcasting.

http://www.mediabist...adcasting_b8008

FAIRCHILD, WIS.: A 2,000-foot broadcast tower has come down in Central Wisconsin. WEAU-TV today reported that its tower located in Eau Claire County came down last night around 8:30 p.m. local time, during the station’s telecast of “The Biggest Loser.”

http://www.televisio.../article/116196
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Wow. Incredible story. Thanks for sharing.

I guess this comes under the heading of force majeure. Act of God. Perhaps He doesn't like reality tv shows, either. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Competing station WQOW is now carrying WEAU's programming on 18.3, displacing ThisTV. Cable & satellite operators are now carrying that feed. It's also being rebroadcast on a translator at 50.1 in La Crosse that normally carries the NBC affiliate from Rochester, MN.

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

More pictures. Any idea yet why it fell?

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

More pictures. Any idea yet why it fell?

Gravity :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

Apparently there was heavy snow and ice with high winds at the time.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   BosFan

BosFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationAltoona, WI

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

I live in the Eau Claire area, although the weather was bad at the time it went down it has been much worse in the past, ice had really just started accumulating the hour before so not sure why it toppled. Luckily there are no houses around it. In the meantime WEAU is back to SD via WQOW (who happens to lease tower space from WEAU's smaller tower in the city) except they setup a direct feed to Charter Cable for HD. I am hoping they do the same for D*.

Living room: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30, HR23-700, Sony BDP-N460, Yamaha HTR-6140, Harmony 700
Family room: Vizio SV421XVT, HR24-500, Sony PlayStation 3, Yamaha R-7, Harmony 700
Bedroom: Vizio VA26L, HR21-200
SL-3, DECA, Whole-Home DVR, DTV since 4/09

Life isn’t like a box of chocolates…it’s more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your *** tomorrow.
---Author Unknown

#8 OFFLINE   phatmatt1215

phatmatt1215

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

I live in the Eau Claire area, although the weather was bad at the time it went down it has been much worse in the past, ice had really just started accumulating the hour before so not sure why it toppled. Luckily there are no houses around it. In the meantime WEAU is back to SD via WQOW (who happens to lease tower space from WEAU's smaller tower in the city) except they setup a direct feed to Charter Cable for HD. I am hoping they do the same for D*.

I just called WEAU TV and they said they have NO CLUE when they will get HD back up and running for D*. :(

#9 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

This is my local NBC affiliate. Is there any precident for giving us a national HD feed if it will be a while until their HD signal is restored?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#10 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

Well, that didn't take long.

Within a few hours of my above post, in time for prime time programing last night, WEAU restored their HD feed to DirecTV. That's pretty good. They came up with a signal for us and local cable within 72 hours of the tower falling.

I like the engineer at WEAU. They were the first station around here to go HD back in the early 2000s, and their chief engineer was very accessible and helpful in getting people set up. Looks like he came through again.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

Protected By... spam firewall...And...